TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accommodating Restraints - and unaccommodating restraints

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of people I've had to give the walk of shame to on Toro is ridiculous. Kingda Ka is pretty accommodating, I rarely had to give the boot on that ride.

One cool thing though is that the verify point is completely adjustable but is mandated by the manufacturer. Toro's verify point is when the lap bar is 12.5 inches from the back of the seat rest. Maintenance actually has a block of wood that they use to calibrate the sensors to this fit. They completely have the ability to loosen or tighten that verify but Intamin set 12.5 inches in stone for Toro.

The amount of people I've had to give the walk of shame to on Toro is ridiculous. Kingda Ka is pretty accommodating, I rarely had to give the boot on that ride.

One cool thing though is that the verify point is completely adjustable but is mandated by the manufacturer. Toro's verify point is when the lap bar is 12.5 inches from the back of the seat rest. Maintenance actually has a block of wood that they use to calibrate the sensors to this fit. They completely have the ability to loosen or tighten that verify but Intamin set 12.5 inches in stone for Toro.

I love these pieces of information, Ryan. Thanks!

From what I've seen of Wicked Cyclone, it seems like people are more likely to get the walk of shame on a B&M invert/floorless.

Thanks for the information...I'm still going to start watching my diet anyway and working out more because I want to make sure I don't have any more problems with walks of shame in the future.

Superman the Ride's lap bars are the worst. There's this one employee that works there this year that pushes the lap bar into your thighs with two huge pushes so your legs are just crying out in pain at every moment of air. Even if your not stapled the bar is still so bulky it cuts into some of the air.

Superman the Ride's lap bars are the worst. There's this one employee that works there this year that pushes the lap bar into your thighs with two huge pushes so your legs are just crying out in pain at every moment of air. Even if your not stapled the bar is still so bulky it cuts into some of the air.

At least that employee will likely help get someone on. I haven't encountered them yet, but those lap bars are brutal.

Wicked Twister's restraints aren't accommodating. Almost got walk of shamed there in June (I'm not super big - 6'2" 245-250 but with broad shoulders and chest). I've had very few problems getting on most other coasters

This is definitely one of the most least accommodating rides I've seen. I rode WT once on my trip last week, and I saw TWO walks of shame on that one ride, and the people weren't even that big at all. Even the B&M restraints seem more accommodating.

When I was at my heaviest (almost 300) . . . . pretty much all restraints they had to squeeze me in (I even had the 'walk of shame' on Superman: Ride of Steel once).

But back to the point . . . . weren't the restraints on most TOGO coasters a pain in the bunghole?

Coastrider at Knotts... I just rode it a couple weeks ago, holy cow. The modified (formerly standard) MACK restraints are awful. I'm just over 6' and 215lbs. I had to lift my feet up off the floor, attempt to point my knees directly up as tight as I could, then have the ride op push down the bar. For the sake of future riders, I hope they come up with a better design that satisfies the "new" requirements after a kid tried to stick his foot out...

I'll throw in RMC as well. Fun rides, but those trains are a hot mess.

Coastrider at Knotts... I just rode it a couple weeks ago, holy cow. The modified (formerly standard) MACK restraints are awful. I'm just over 6' and 215lbs. I had to lift my feet up off the floor, attempt to point my knees directly up as tight as I could, then have the ride op push down the bar. For the sake of future riders, I hope they come up with a better design that satisfies the "new" requirements after a kid tried to stick his foot out...

I hope so, too. And in all honestly, from what I can tell, those leg bars are completely unnecessary if they are simply trying to prevent someone from sticking their foot outside the train. There is already a guard attached to the restraint (near the feet) that blocks the outside of the train and "closes up the hole." All the leg restraints do is make the ride painful. Coast Rider was actually a pretty fun ride back when it first opened, but now the ride is slower, rougher, and painful for any regular-size adult. Ugh.

• 6 months later...
From what I've seen of Wicked Cyclone, it seems like people are more likely to get the walk of shame on a B&M invert/floorless.

I find this statement very intriguing. I am a KD local who is very excited for Twisted Timbers to open, I am 6'3 315 pounds with a 45ish" waistline and I've been actively in the gym for the last year now and I've lost 45 pounds in the last year. I've ridden Dominator in this weight range in the past in the non-big boy seats (albeit it was tight and it was also a time I was not actively going to the gym). I've been more or less obsessing over RMC lapbars over the last month. Imagine I will find out in the next month hopefully after losing a few more lbs.

I have a unique problem with T-bars and also the RMC style lap bars with the shin guards.

I'm tall and skinny, so I never have issues with stomach, but my legs have problems. Because these restraints force me to sit with my feet flat, and my legs are so long, the restraints either hit my thighs in a weird spot or my shins stop them before my waist does. If I was able to cross my ankles (like on a lapbar from Arrow, Morgan, or Schwartz), my legs would be at a different angle and the bar would actually reach my lap.

I find this statement very intriguing. I am a KD local who is very excited for Twisted Timbers to open, I am 6'3 315 pounds with a 45ish" waistline and I've been actively in the gym for the last year now and I've lost 45 pounds in the last year. I've ridden Dominator in this weight range in the past in the non-big boy seats (albeit it was tight and it was also a time I was not actively going to the gym). I've been more or less obsessing over RMC lapbars over the last month. Imagine I will find out in the next month hopefully after losing a few more lbs.

The only RMC I have frequently seen walks of shame on was Lightning Rod.

1) I visited during winter, so people were bundled up in coats.

2) People seemed to be placing their seat-belt directly underneath the restraint, so they had less margin.

3) Dollywood's employees won't push down.

The latter was the most confusing of all. The employees won't push the bar down. I'm almost certain Kings Dominion's employees will do the latter like 99% of parks out there.

I have seen people denied from Wicked Cyclone (the RMC I ride most), but people seem to have more trouble with SFNE's Batman or Superman.

I was 6'0 and 300lbs not that long ago. I didn't have many issues on Wicked Cyclone (a little extra nudge and I was fine), while I had a couple close calls on Lightning Rod. However, I'd mostly chalk that up to Six Flags' willingness to help give a friendly push to get the lap bar down enough, while Dollywood's policy was that you had to pull it down enough by yourself with no help from the attendant. If you've been working out, you may have lost enough where it counts (I'm thinking about the extra weight from muscle mass that counteracts your fat loss). Keep on your schedule, and by the time TT opens up, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
Personal Update: I put on a size 40 pair of pants today. Starting to feel quite optimistic about Twisted Timbers now

That's awesome! keep it up.

(by the way, we've got a weight mgmt support group thread on the Random board, if you wanted a place to chart your status/get support: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75647 )

^^ I think you should be fine on Twisted Timbers. I was a 36 waist last summer and rode Wicked Cyclone with no issue. It was snug but I didn't feel stapled.

The only RMC I have frequently seen walks of shame on was Lightning Rod.

1) I visited during winter, so people were bundled up in coats.

2) People seemed to be placing their seat-belt directly underneath the restraint, so they had less margin.

3) Dollywood's employees won't push down.

The latter was the most confusing of all. The employees won't push the bar down. I'm almost certain Kings Dominion's employees will do the latter like 99% of parks out there.

their policy of making you push the lap bar down is dumb. even a friend of fellow rider isn't allowed to help. don't let that grumpy old guy attendant see anyone helping.

Have felt slight discomfort on GCI and RMC trains because of my wider chest and shoulders. It's not so much the restraints but rather the sides of the carriage. May be why I wasn't able to enjoy Wodan as much as I wanted to while the sheer rush of Wildfire managed to override it.

Mack Wild Mouses I've never had any trouble with but Maurer Wild Mouses are a nightmare especially in the back seats.

I'm kinda scared I'll be denied a ride on Silver Star this summer because of the restrictions on B&M Hyper seats since I've gained weight since 2016. Would a 225 lbs 6'0 person risk facing issues on those?

Personal Update: I put on a size 40 pair of pants today. Starting to feel quite optimistic about Twisted Timbers now

Good luck, bro. I hate watching people do the walk of shame. Unless of course it's that person who gets pissed off at the employees when there's no way in hell they will fit on the ride. FFFF those people.

Have felt slight discomfort on GCI and RMC trains because of my wider chest and shoulders. It's not so much the restraints but rather the sides of the carriage. May be why I wasn't able to enjoy Wodan as much as I wanted to while the sheer rush of Wildfire managed to override it.

Mack Wild Mouses I've never had any trouble with but Maurer Wild Mouses are a nightmare especially in the back seats.

I'm kinda scared I'll be denied a ride on Silver Star this summer because of the restrictions on B&M Hyper seats since I've gained weight since 2016. Would a 225 lbs 6'0 person risk facing issues on those?

Silver Star requires 5 clicks if that helps