The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I had today off I decided to stay up and watch the SuperBowl. I was very close to going to bed in the 3rd quarter, but I decided to watch the whole thing and I'm very happy I did. While it's a sport that I don't watch much, I sure enjoyed that finish to the game.

I saw that Skip Bayless had congratulated the Falcons on winning the Super Bowl (well before the game was over)! This isn't the first time this season that Bayless had called a game before it was over. Earlier this season, he congratulated the Redskins for winning a game after they went ahead by four with less than two minutes left. However, the Lions came back to win with the remaining time left.

I saw that Skip Bayless had congratulated the Falcons on winning the Super Bowl (well before the game was over)! This isn't the first time this season that Bayless had called a game before it was over. Earlier this season, he congratulated the Redskins for winning a game after they went ahead by four with less than two minutes left. However, the Lions came back to win with the remaining time left.

Bayless is a joke, he is one of the last guys that I will listen to in the sports world. Anyone that thinks Tebow was a future hall of famer or even a great QB loses all credibility.

The game was fantastic, not thrilled about the Patriots winning, but it was probably the best superbowl that I have seen. Surely one that most people won't forget, especially Atlanta fans.

Commercials were horrible. I don't typically care about them anyway, but there are usually a handful that stick out to me or I thought were funny. This year, I can only really remember the Mr. Clean one, and the handful of trailers they showed for upcoming movies.

Atlanta will go down with the Bills as one of the all-time greatest choke artists in SB history.

At least I won $95 on my pools.

Wondering what people thought of this year's commercials? I don't care for the fact that they seem to be getting away from the funnier ones and leaning towards the more serious or heartwarming - or the just downright stupid ones.

No question that was THE WORST choke of all time. They had the ball at their 22 yard line up 8 points with 4 minutes left. All they had to do was run three times and eat clock & kick a FG to ice.

Good thing Sark is their new OC...

^ Exactly I had no idea why they tried to pass the ball. Now the refs did miss a face make on New England on the holding call on Atlanta on the 2nd down play that would of been offsetting penalties. And if that happens Atlanta probably would of won. Also it's time for the NFL to change the OT rules for the playoffs at least. Let both teams possess the ball even if the first team to have the ball scores a TD.

^^ I agree...they got too cute for their own good.

49'ers fans must be pretty nervous after seeing that horrific play calling from Shanahan.

^ I also agree with you about OT - let each team have the ball once even if a TD has been scored on the first possession.

I would like to see the NFL change OT to a full abbreviated quarter---do 12 min instead of a full 15 and let it play out. The team who wins the toss still gets a slight advantage, but the other team would deserve to lose if their defense can't get the ball back in 12 minutes....

I like the college OT method, the only thing I would change is move them back further, force them to get a first down or two to get into field goal range. Don't start them in field goal range right away. However, I would be shocked if the NFL changed their OT method, they had the chance a couple years ago when they redid it and still didn't improve it, I doubt they will touch it anytime soon. Hopefully I am proven wrong on this.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So what do you all think of the season so far?

Obviously the biggest news of the season (other than kneeling) has been Aaron Rogers going down as well as the Patriots maybe not looking as invincible as they have in the year's past.

Based on that, I have absolutely no idea who will play in the SB this year. Philly and KC are the hot picks right now, but I am not quite convinced that either will make it to the big game. KC in particular has looked a bit vulnerable in the past couple of games and there seems to be a lot of mediocrity in the league this year.

I guess if I had to make a prediction right now, I would still have to pick the Patriots as the team to get in from the AFC (even though it makes me want to throw up in my mouth) and despite not having the greatest of record right now, I am going with Carolina from the NFC.

And if I say that the Patriots win 38-35, Brady damned well better be retiring after this one!

I still don't have a clue who is actually good this year. I mean I think the Patriots will figure it out by the playoffs and be their usually self but they have struggled early, especially defensively. I guess my at this point playoff predictions are as follows

AFC:

Patriots

Steelers

Chiefs

Texans

Bills

Jaguars/2nd team in AFC West (maybe Jaguars, hopefully? Please? this division is a toss up really, but the schedule is pretty favorable for 8-10 wins which might be enough for a wildcard, maybe win the division)

NFC:

Eagles

Vikings

Rams

Saints

Seahawks

Panthers/Cowboys

I guess my Superbowl pick would have to be Patriots vs Eagles, but it's still early and I'm not sold on anyone yet. It has been a fun year to be a Jaguars fan though, now if we could just win a game at home sometime...

• 2 months later...

Who do you guys think will make it to the Super Bowl?

I'm pretty confident (and also a self-admitted homer) that the Patriots will make it out of the AFC. The only team that I am worried about is Kansas City since they absolutely dismantled us a few years ago and soundly beat us week 1 of this year.

The NFC will be a huge dogfight. I honestly think all of the NFC teams are better than anything in the AFC outside of New England and Pittsburgh. I would have picked the Eagles before the Carson Wentz injury, but now I'm going with the Saints. I know they have to win three games, but I don't trust Nick Foles or Case Keenum to lead their teams to the Super Bowl.

I guess my mid-season playoff predictions were pretty close, missed one in the AFC and 2 in the NFC.

As much as I want to see my Jaguars be a Cinderella story I think't they're gonna have a tough time making it out of round 2. I'm gonna have to take the Patriots in the AFC and in the NFC I kind of like the Rams. They're playing well, defense is dominant, Gurley is a monster and Goff has been pretty consistent. Other than Newton and Brees and Matt Ryan the other 3 QBs in the NFC are unproven in the playoffs so it should be interesting.

Speaking of Jaguars, yeah yeah I know there's no much confidence in them outside of Northeast Florida but the playoff buzz here in town has been a lot of fun. The game sold out in like an hour and they even released standing room only tickets that sold out. Standing room tickets are going for like $250+ on resell sites which is just crazy to me. Should be a fun atmosphere on Sunday and I can't wait, even if we are playing Buffalo.

^^ Hey now...what is this "even if we are playing Buffalo" crap? I seem to recall (was it only last year?) that Jax was wrapping thousands of seats because they had no loyal fan base? Something that I have never seen happen in Buffalo before. My, my how times have changed!

18 years out of the playoffs and ALL of Western NY is going absolutely nuts. I actually wept tears of joy on Sunday because I have lived through all of the heartache that this team has produced since my childhood. But the 17 year drought was probably one of the worst that I have ever endured as a sports fan - way, way worse than watching them lose four SB's in a row.

Hundreds of people showed up at the airport on New Years at 1 AM in single digit temps to welcome their team home Sunday night. Players (like Kyle Williams) and fans alike getting the best Christmas present ever - despite the fact that we know that they likely aren't talented enough to get past Round One or Two. Ya never know though...that's why they play the game, right? Jax could pull the ultimate stunner as well!

And of course, lets not forget that Bills fans have donated over $170,000 to Andy Dalton's charity after that 4th and 12 TD pass!

Let's go Buffalo!!!!!!

Bills die-hard fans

The music city miracle was 18 years ago? Time flies...

Even though the Bills let their best USC player walk (Robert Woods), they still have Shareece Wright, so I can root for them.

^ Isn't that crazy?

Although that 18 years in terms of Buffalo sports certainly didn't seem like it.

Four Super Bowl's lost, No Goal (Sabres in Stanley Cup), Music City Miracle and a shit-ton of other games where you thought that they were going to win, yet seemed to figure out a way to lose in amazingly depressing and maddening fashion.

Yeah, if we still had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods at receiver, I would have more faith in Buffalo going at least a couple of games deep into the playoffs.

With no real threat at receiver, defenses just stack the box and try to stop McCoy (not even sure he will play). I am thinking that this could get ugly fast with Jacksonville's defense and possibly no McCoy, but I am just so thrilled that they are back in the playoffs that I don't even really care if they get stomped. lol

Just about everyone around here actually feels the same way - all they care about is that the drought is finally over!!

^ I wonder about Bortles as well as he does have a rather erratic passing game. I am sure that the interception-hungry Bills secondary is reviewing a lot of film of his downfield throws. Poyer and Hyde are having outstanding years!

I am sure that McDermott will still be asking Taylor to play conservatively, but I think that the OC needs to get creative here and come out with some downfield passes so that Jax isn't playing 8 in the box the entire game.

My hope would be that Benjamin can finally break out and Shady will be able to play - so far it's looking like there is a good chance that he will play for at least some of it.

Edit - Welp, so much for that.

Congrats to Hilltopper & the Jags on the win!

It was an ugly game and the Bills certainly had their chances...but unfortunately it doesn't appear that Tyrod is in our future. Dennison doesn't help with his horrible play calling and they did Taylor no favors in getting rid of Watkins and Woods.

But damn, dude...wide open receivers and you can't see them and make the throw? Time to move on to either a free agent QB or move up in the draft.

Go Bills!

Yeah Sunday was a pretty fun experience even if the game was borderline unwatchable at times. The Buffalo fans were a lot of fun to be around and certainly added to the excitement. When we pulled into our normal lot to park there were Bills fans EVERYWHERE but once we were inside the stadium it leveled off a bit, seemed like it was probably 70/30 Jags Bills.

We'll see how it goes next week in Pittsburgh, as well as the jags offense was playing in the middle of the season they're in a slide now. Probably gonna take more than 10 points to beat the Steeler's and I'm not sure if the offense can do it.

If the Bills start next year with Nathan Peterman as their quarterback, I'd feel sorry enough to give Bills fans a hug...after I laugh in private of course. He is absolutely awful.

The Jags-Bills game was painful to watch, but the Saints-Panthers and Chiefs-Titans games made up for it.

That was a fun weekend of football for sure.

My biggest takeaways are probably how atrocious Nathan Peterman is and how Cam Newton apparently plays 1000% better after taking a devastating blow to the head. That last throw in the endzone was entirely catchable too. It's a bummer they lost, I was pulling for them.

Also, to the people (not on this site) still complaining about Graham Gano missing a 25 yarder even though he made a 58 yarder later on. F*ck you.

Oh well, Panthers to the pit of misery... dilly, dilly.

I was extremely glad to see Carolina lose. Honestly of every single team in the playoffs, the team that scared me most as a Patriots fan was the Panthers. I think they've beaten us the past 2-3 times thanks to their willingness to milk the clock combined with Cam Newton throwing for 3-4 TDs against.

You could say I'm counting my chickens before the eggs hatch, but the Chiefs were the only team that scared me in the AFC and their choke job against Tennessee took them out.