TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Metro (Chicago) last night.

I just checked out their show on KEXP (You Tube) last night and I liked what I saw/heard. Good to see a lot of great music starting to come alive again - seems like the rock scene had been flat for a while (or I just didn't know where to go looking).

Really been getting more into Ty Segall lately too. My friends just saw him in Seattle a few weeks ago and they said the show was amazing.

My last show was the Dean Ween Group with the Meat Puppets in Cleveland last October. I really need to get out to a show soon...been too long.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked out their show on KEXP (You Tube) last night and I liked what I saw/heard. Good to see a lot of great music starting to come alive again - seems like the rock scene had been flat for a while (or I just didn't know where to go looking).

Really been getting more into Ty Segall lately too. My friends just saw him in Seattle a few weeks ago and they said the show was amazing.

I heartily recommend Quarters & I'm In Your Mind Fuzz by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Both great albums, and very different from one another. I might be going to catch Ty Segall when he comes by this weekend. I prefer his earlier material to the newer, but I haven't heard his very latest yet.

^ Thank you for the suggestions...I will certainly give them a listen (and probably end up buying them).

My friend in Seattle that just saw Ty Segall live also prefers his earlier work, but said that the recent show that he and his wife saw was really good. So far I have Fuzz and Melted, but nothing else. It's high time to buy some more of his stuff as well as a couple new Thee Oh Sees albums.

You are very lucky to live where you live. While the concert scene in Buffalo has improved, it's still not quite as vibrant as Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Toronto. Looks like the closest place Ty will play on this tour to me is Pittsburgh. And of course, it's on a Sunday so that would mean taking Monday off of work (because I would obviously be too hungover).

On Friday I saw Choking Victim on their reunion tour in Philadelphia at Union Transfer. There were also some opening acts, and it was a really great time. Here's what I thought of each of the bands:

Sick Shit - This band is amazing, especially live, and deserves way more praise. They played first and not many people showed up yet. It sucks, because they have excellent tracks, they have great energy, and they're extremely talented, especially the frontwoman and the drummer. Apparently they play in all different venues in NJ and PA almost weekly, so no wonder they're so tight for such a new band. One of my favorite live punk/hardcore bands right now!

Public Serpent - They were a lot of fun. Nice ska punk. It's a bit poppier than what I usually listen to, but they're definitely one of those bands that are way better live. My dad and my friend liked them more than I did.

The Brood - Awesome band. The mosh pit was only like 3-5 people at a time including myself in the middle of the empty "circle pit," but it was still fun! They played really well, and sound similar to bands like Poison Idea. They don't have many songs yet.

Choking Victim - Once they started, the mosh pit was going wild! They played every single song they had aside from 2 or 3, as well as 2 covers. The circle pit was awesome, and never lost momentum. Still not as physically demanding as King Gizzard's pit actually. The band still sounds great, and all their songs are classics. Everyone in the crowd also knew the lyrics, and it gave the songs an even more anthemic feel.

^Wow, I haven't been to a punk show since high school, but Leftover Crack was my favorite band for a good stretch of time, and consequently I got into Choking Victim as well. I thought about seeing LC a year or two back, but at the same time I feel like it might've been a wise decision to back out of that one....Anyway, cool name to see in this thread!

Caught the first night of the Devastation on the Nation tour and got to reconnect with plenty of people who I don't get to see nearly enough, plus I had an amazing time in the process.

Gloom: I was honestly really impressed. They were heavy, sludgy, groovy, and above all else, tight. I think it was their first tour on a big label, and they're already set to hang with the big leagues.

Dysentery: They got to go on after one of the touring acts (granted, they ARE bigger and signed to a reasonably large label) and put on a great performance like they always do because Scott is the best thing that ever happened to that band. Stood back a little bit, however, as the pit ninjas were relentless.

The Kennedy Veil: Been a minute since I saw them and got to chill with Gabe Seeber and co., and while they were great live back in 2015, they really upped their game with Monte on vocals. I'll still say that Taylor Wientjes was the better vocalist, but Monte is easily the better performer.

The Zenith Passage: In the 11 months that have passed since I last saw them, they got a new drummer and SERIOUSLY upped their performance game. They went from passable to excellent, and Greg in particular has really improved his stage presence.

Rivers of Nihil: Tight like usual and their new drummer was killing it, but Jake still needs to up his stage game (it's hard to be intimidating when you're like 5'5", but he does not move around much). Their setlist also had a few left turns; definitely wasn't expecting Birth of the Omnisavior or (sin)chronos.

Decrepit Birth: WOW. That's all that I can really say. In the three years that have passed since they last played a show, they somehow managed to hit that next level as a live act. Bill went from a decent frontman to an amazing one, and the crowd went crazy. Gabe also did a great job at doing double-duty and thankfully had a moment to rest earlier in the night as well.

Cryptopsy: None So Vile live. Enough said. Flo and Olivier also need to stop being so good at their instruments.

Caught that Morbid Angel tour in Boston last night. WHAT. A. NIGHT.

Withered: Didn't move around much, but they were tight and I've always liked their music. A good warmup band.

Revocation: One of the best sets I've ever seen from them. Touring with heavier bands really brings out the best in them and the place went wild the minute they launched into Madness Opus.

Suffocation: GOD DAMN. One of the best sets I've ever seen from ANY band, let alone them. Eric has really settled into his role as their new drummer, and Kevin... damn. I still miss Frank, but I've known that kid since he was in Pyrexia and he was killing it with them. He was born for this and absolutely ruled the stage and the crowd went insane. I love that kid and I'm so happy for him.

Morbid Angel: Morbid is back. End of story. No more Evil D with his soul patch, goofy poses as he prances around the stage, and ruined harshes with cringe-inducing operatic parts needlessly mixed in. Steve Tucker has regained his rightful place in the band and it was great to see all those long-neglected songs get some love again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw Incubus, Jimmy Eat World, and Judah and the Lion at Jiff Lube Live last night.

Judah and the Lion-We actually missed most of their set, but from what we heard, they were good.

Jimmy Eat World-I'm definitely glad I got the chance to see these guys. I remember listening to them a lot when I was in middle school so seeing them was great. They played my favorite songs last as well.

Incubus-One of my favorite bands of all time and my second time seeing them. As always they put on a great show. They sounded fantastic and never skipped a beat. Great setlist as well even though they didn't play anything off their older S.C.I.E.N.C.E album. Overall it was a great show, definitely one of my favorites.

Headed to Pitchfork music fest today and tomorrow:

Today - Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Dirty Projectors, LCD Soundsystem

Tomorrow - Parliament Funk, Francis and the Lights, Madlib, S U R V I V E, Tribe Called Quest (really stoked)

Yesterday I saw Royal Headache, Pissed Jeans, and Dark Thoughts at Union Transfer in Philadelphia, and it was a great night.

Dark Thoughts is a new band from Philly, and it's great 70s-style punk, sort of like a more modernized Ramones. They actually remind me of the Hanson Brothers (a NoMeansNo side project), except better. In their sets they play the tracks from their first (and so far only) album in order. They were really solid, and I can't wait to hear more from them. Their drummer is really fast and hits the ride cymbal and high hat twice as much as what's necessary it's fun to watch!

Pissed Jeans is by far my favorite band out of these three. The band started playing "Have You Ever Been Furniture," one of their best songs, and the vocalist immediately started throwing himself across the stage, knockeding a bunch of crap over, and started screaming his head off. Epic start! Their stage presence was great throughout their entire set, and they lost no energy. The set was a little short since they were opening for Royal Headache, but the songs they chose were great selections. At the end, the guitarist threw his guitar across the stage, filled his mouth with water and spit all over it, unplugged and kicked around his pedals creating even more feedback noises. Now this is my kinda band!

Royal Headache is a very different kind of band, since they're definitely not heavy, but they play with tons of passion and emotion, and it's beautiful. Unfortunately, their recorded material doesn't really capture that, but they are amazing live. They played their best songs, some new songs, some slow R&B sounding songs at the end (those might have been covers, I don't know). The singer is incredible displays his pure emotions, and it's transcendent to see. I'd actually compare them to the Smiths or even the Killers during their Sams Town era, except as a punk band. He seemed to be worn out at the end and had to stop one song early, so I hope he's okay now. The crowd mostly came to see this band, so there was more moshing, while Pissed Jeans played to a crowd that had a mini 5-person pit at its most energetic, lol. From what I can find by looking up videos, it seemed like Pissed Jeans and Royal Headache put everything they had into this show, plus some. I think that was a very special performance we saw that night.

Tomorrow I see Negative Approach, then it's Melvins in August, then Dinosaur Jr. again in September.

^ The Melvins was the loudest concert I have ever been to in my life...you have been warned.

Dinosaur Jr. would be a good band to see live. It's been a while since I have listened to them - I should go pick up their new disc.

2 nights ago I saw Negative Approach with Bloodclot, Fire and Ice, Mindforce, and Please Die. It was at Underground Arts, so it was a very small and simple venue, pretty much a large basement with multiple rooms and some bars. I've never been to a show this small before, so it was pretty surreal to see such great bands up close with a smaller group of people.

Please Die was a good band to start off the show with. Nothing that unique or anything, but it was great thrashy hardcore punk.

Mindforce did an amazing job and brought their a-game. They have a bit more of a groove metal sound along with their hardcore. I definitely need to listen to them more often, especially since they have a new EP.

Fire and Ice was a little forgettable compared to the other bands, but still really good.

Bloodclot was amazing. John Joeseph is still really good, and you can really tell that the whole band are really experienced players. They have Nick Oliveri playing bass, the drummer was in a bunch of bands including Queens of the Stone Age, and the guitarist is fantastic. Great hardcore, still really solid even though they're all old.

Negative Approach did an amazing set. John Brannon is a rare case where his vocals got better with age. Everyone knew the lyrics so we got to mic multiple times. They played almost all of their songs, too. It was a great time.

Last concert I went to was Buckethead in San Francisco in July 2011. I've had tinnitus(both ears) since 2006 due to concerts and so much loud music in general in my youth. My ears were shot for days after this show. I was about 10 feet or so from the stage and that club was loud.

I was going to go see Guns N Roses last year for the 'reunion' but I had a major cancer scare(bladder) and my life practically came to a halt. I'm a hypocondriac in general and facing that crisis blew my mind. I wasn't going to any huge events while dealing with that.

I was going to see Soundgarden this year when the tour eventually hit the bay area and we all know what happened before Soundgarden made their way here.

I was advised years ago to stop going to concerts for the sake of my ears. I wanted to see Soundgarden one last time(impossible now), Guns N Roses one more time(last GNR show was in 91), and I'd like to see U2, maybe the Stones before giving it up completely. I'm considering Fleetwood Mac on their upcoming farewell tour.

^ The Melvins was the loudest concert I have ever been to in my life...you have been warned.

The Melvins, oh man. You aren't kidding. I've seen them about five times, and the most recent one was the first time I've ever left my spot during a set to buy earplugs. You can feel your organs vibrating inside of you when they play.

Saw Queen + Adam Lambert on Thursday night at the Palace. It was a very good show! Adam Lambert fits in very well with them. Lambert isn't Freddie Mercury, but he sounds very good in his own right with the two remaining members of Queen (who both sound very good despite getting up there in age [guitarist Brian May just turned 70 and drummer Roger Taylor turns 68 next week]). It was a nearly full house and I was lucky enough to get moved up from the upper bowl to a seat just above floor level about a third of the way through the show. Also, the majority of people were standing most if not all of the show. I never sat down after the show started. The crowd was very interesting. I saw lots of younger people that were born after Freddie Mercury died (myself included) and some people who probably were able to see Queen (with Freddie and retired bassist John Deacon) in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ninja Sex Party with TWRP at the El Rey in LA.

Both are pretty comic bands, with an 80's vibe. They also grew and developed thanks to Youtube. NSP is a side project from the Game Grumps. It's a great group of people, and the fans are so nice to be around. We are all just a bunch of geeks.

Mayday Parade in May (ha) at the Fillmore in Philly (ha).

The opening band was called Milestones. I liked them. They're pretty young and seemed like they were just up there having fun.

The supporting act Knuckle Puck was fine, but the fans were annoying. The band was encouraging circle pits which would have happened regardless, but I just don't like when bands encourage it. (Unless it's a metal band)

But Mayday Parade was something else. Easily the best sounding live band I've heard. Aside from people moshing at completely inappropriate times, it was the best concert I've been to. They played the entire album 'A Lesson in Romantics' then played 7 more songs, including a great cover of 'Yesterday' by the Beetles. They seemed to genuinely love what they do and love their fans. It's nice when the band seems like they're having a great time playing. I'd love to see them again but I think they're headed to Europe. Great band, great show.

Zomboy (DJ) last week. He's a DJ I've really loved since he started. I'm not a huge bass head, but the guy's stuff is fire.

Happy Lollapalooza week. 4 days starting on Thursday!

I'm hoping Chance steals most of the crowd Sat night so I can get up close with The XX. I've seen Chance so many times since I live in Chicago, so there's no reason for me to try and battle that massive crowd. I bet there will be some awesome guests, though. Vic, Vince, Kanye?, who knows.

I saw the Melivns at Union Transfer a few days ago, and it's the best live show I've ever been to. It's a tough choice between them and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, but I'd give Melvins the slight edge. The opening act was Spotlights. Both bands were extremely loud, and probably the loudest show I've been to.

Spotlights was a really amazing opening act, and I definitely prefer them live since the ambient synth parts were quiet in the mix and less of a focus than on the records. Such beautiful, loud sludge metal! You could feel the noise vibrations your chest. My dad and my sister absolutely loved their set.

Melvins were absolutely incredible. King Buzzo is insane and awesome, and Dale Crover is one of my top 3 favorite drummers of all time. Steven McDonald is very energetic and interacted with the crowd the whole time. This band goes through bassists quickly, but I hope he gets to stay in the band for a long time, since he fits in perfectly, especially for live shows. The set list for this tour is perfect. They played a lot of their lesser-known songs. The track order was perfect, and the set list had a good flow to it. In fact, there weren't many breaks, and a lot of tracks would flow seamlessly into each other. They played plenty of great new songs and covers of course. I loved that they played almost all the material from their album Lysol. Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog was the best way to end a concert ever. The crowd was enthusiastic too. There was a decent mini mosh pit, especially when they played The Bit and Amazon. This show blew my mind since I'm so obsessed with this band. Everyone should experience the Melvins. My sister went with me and loved it, even though she knows nothing about them.