TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

You can read Adam's D23 Report here, but I'll post a quick re-cap of the Walt Disney World announcements with some of the released images...

- Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (Replacing Great Movie Ride)

thumb_image_wdw_mickey-attraction-poster.jpg

- Ratatouille is coming to the France pavilion at Epcot

thumb_image_wdw_ratatouille_1.jpg

- A new, seamless Circlevision film is coming to the Epcot China Pavilion

thumb_circlevision.jpg

- Guardians of the Galaxy is coming to Epcot

thumb_image_wdw_guardians-exterior.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_guardians-interior.jpg

- Tron Lightcycle Power Run is coming to the Magic Kingdom

thumb_image_wdw_tron_0.jpg

- Mission: Space will open with a new Green Mission film for families and a reanimated Orange Mission

thumb_mission_space.jpg

- New table service restaurant at Mission: Space

thumb_image_wdw_space-restaurant.jpg

- The Disney Skyliner gondola system will debut at Walt Disney World resorts

thumb_image_wdw_disney-skyliner.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_disney-skyliner-2.jpg

thumb_147119_rh6_1923.jpg

- A new theater attraction will open on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom

thumb_image_wdw_mk-theatre.jpg

- The "Minnie Van" uber-like driving service has been announced WDW Resort

thumb_image_wdw_minnie-van-service.jpg

- Hotel Riviera Disney Vacation Club Resort

thumb_image_dvc_disney-riviera-resort.jpg

- Star Wars-Inspired Themed Resort at Walt Disney World planned

thumb_image_wdw_star-wars-themed-resort.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_star-wars-themed-resort-3.jpg

- Star Wars Land officially named "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge"

thumb_147119_rh6_0717.jpg

thumb_image_wdpr_star-wars-battle-attraction.jpg

thumb_image_wdpr_star-wars-millennium-falcon-attraction.jpg

- Epcot Future World will get a make-over

thumb_epcot_makeover.jpg

thumb_epcot_makeover2.png

Again. you can read Adam's D23 Report here!

Edited by robbalvey

Looks like the EPCOT Communicore is going bye bye - both east and west sides.

Lots of lush greenery in their place. And the smaller "lake" is about to add cross-over

paths, along with walk around, with something interesting on it's center "Island."

I like it! (Pardon, wrong thread, but it's all awesome!)

I am absolutely thrilled with the new Mickey ride. I feel like Disney needed to pay more attention to him recently and giving him a ride brings him new life. I'm so happy with this addition, though the Great Movie Ride will be missed.

Wondering if their recent re-acquisition of Waldo will allow them to incorporate him into the ride as well. Would love for Waldo to take his rightly place amongst Disney's animated royalty.

I am absolutely thrilled with the new Mickey ride. I feel like Disney needed to pay more attention to him recently and giving him a ride brings him new life. I'm so happy with this addition, though the Great Movie Ride will be missed.

Wondering if their recent re-acquisition of Waldo will allow them to incorporate him into the ride as well. Would love for Waldo to take his rightly place amongst Disney's animated royalty.

Hopefully as a trio of Waldo heads in the shape of a hidden Mickey.

I wonder where the hotel is going to fall price-wise, in the most-to-least expensive properties on the WDW property.

When I saw the way the beds were being shown (bed rolls?)... I'm just not sure how the cost would be,

since the theme is so Star Wars heavy, etc. Eventually, we'll all find out.

EDIT: Who am I kidding? More than likely $$$$$$, or something like that, per night.

I imagine it will be on the highest high of the high end that they offer.

I'm pretty interested to see where the hotel fits in to the grand scheme of things with this project. I know it's all on paper and really far out but as massive as the land clearing for Starwars is if you start to factor in grounds for a hotel and the infrastructure that comes with it it may not be as big as it seems. I don't know since there aren't any "windows" and space port screens instead or whatever that would make you think designers have a lot of flexibility to maximize space, but who knows. Will the structure be a big windowless building? Will it be an actual life size space cruise ship docked on land haha? Who knows at this point. This is a pretty ambitious project and I'm interested to see how it unfolds, I know of all the things they announced recently I've seen way more general coverage on this in non-theme park pop culture than anything else.

According to the survey Disney did before the announcement price is around $1000 per a person for a two night experience. The economics of a cruise are very different from a hotel. More than likely it will be more expensive than a Disney cruise per a night.

^ To heck with that! I want to stay where you can catch and ride-enjoy the Skyliners!

With everybody else and their luggage, children, strollers, babies, coolers HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I would also really like to see TWO queues for this new transit: One for those with luggage. The other for everybody else.

I think it would be a great extra perk to those who actually stay on site vs. those who will obviously ride it as a Brand New

"Attraction." Then the luggage can be calmly group-loaded along with those using it, then the second gondola they can

load it up with everybody else. Lines will move fine, especially if they consider something like this to alleviate queue blockades.

I'm sorry and I'm most probably definitely in the minority here but I think while the Tron attraction is visually phenomenal, the coaster portion is remarkably lame for how much money they put into the attraction, and with a couple small changes they could make the ride as thrilling as say Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. The way the train crawls and meanders through the course, with the absurd amount of brake runs and the length of the trains, it seriously comes off as mediocre paced Rocket Rods. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about it.

I watch that POV and have no increase in desire to visit the parks. I love Disney as much as the next person, but that Tron attraction could be SO much better with a little more of a thrilling ride experience. It just feels like all hype and build up, then the actual attraction falls flat on it's face. There's no "Wow!" factor.

In fact, I would argue 20 year old Indiana Jones at Disneyland is probably something I would pick to ride over Tron, if it was my last ride of the day.

I'm sorry and I'm most probably definitely in the minority here but I think while the Tron attraction is visually phenomenal, the coaster portion is remarkably lame for how much money they put into the attraction, and with a couple small changes they could make the ride as thrilling as say Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. The way the train crawls and meanders through the course, with the absurd amount of brake runs and the length of the trains, it seriously comes off as mediocre paced Rocket Rods. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about it.

I watch that POV and have no increase in desire to visit the parks. I love Disney as much as the next person, but that Tron attraction could be SO much better with a little more of a thrilling ride experience. It just feels like all hype and build up, then the actual attraction falls flat on it's face. There's no "Wow!" factor.

In fact, I would argue 20 year old Indiana Jones at Disneyland is probably something I would pick to ride over Tron, if it was my last ride of the day.

Just curious...have you been to Shanghai to actually ride it? If not, then I think I'll trust the reactions of those who have been there to ride it in person.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that often times a POV video of a ride just can't do justice to how amazing an experience that ride could be in person. You really have to be there, see it, and feel it to actually get it. Formula Rossa doesn't look like much in a video. Looks like a windy coaster in the desert, right? But to actually go there and ride that thing is very different than to simply watch a video. Robb says TRON is an absolutely OMFG incredible ride, as do most that have been to Shanghai and ridden it. That's good enough for me.

I can't wait to ride TRON myself. Doesn't matter if I have to wait for WDW's to be built, or if I can get to Shanghai to ride it before then.

^Let's wait and see! I have a feeling that 'serious airtime' might be a bit optimistic, given that it's a family coaster, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! But we can always hope...

What's most impressive to me is the scale of the construction shown in those pictures, particularly in the third picture. With both Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land on the way that construction area is HUGE!!! The park is going to have a completely different feel once both these lands are finished... and that's a good thing!

Just curious...have you been to Shanghai to actually ride it? If not, then I think I'll trust the reactions of those who have been there to ride it in person.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that often times a POV video of a ride just can't do justice to how amazing an experience that ride could be in person.

What this guy said. DoubleDown, you can't judge a ride based on a video you watched in a comfy chair. Best example? Journey To The Center Of The Earth. For years I couldn't figure out what was so special about the ride. I had seen the videos and I didn't get it. There was little to no narrative, just a sightseeing ride through caves and glowing stuff. Then I finally got to Japan and rode it. Holy. Flipping. Crap. Now I know what the hype was about. I was shaking at the end and remained that way for quite some time. It blew my mind and I honestly still have no idea why. It's just THAT GOOD.

^Let's wait and see! I have a feeling that 'serious airtime' might be a bit optimistic, given that it's a family coaster, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! But we can always hope...

What's most impressive to me is the scale of the construction shown in those pictures, particularly in the third picture. With both Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land on the way that construction area is HUGE!!! The park is going to have a completely different feel once both these lands are finished... and that's a good thing!

Yep. It's hard to get a sense from those pictures but trust me... flying above it and seeing it in person it struck me how big both the coaster and the two lands are going to be.

^ Great new shots, thanks! I am still wondering though, how they are going to connect the Star Tours attraction to Galaxy's Edge...

...with The Muppets in the middle, LOL! For myself, I still think they could/should convert it (like ToT in DCA) it to a Muppets'

Ride thru Hollywood. On the bus, with the windows papered up ("There was a wee explosion in the bus that knocked them

all out", Dr. Bunsen Honeydew explains) and just the front windshield to see through. Easy!

Star Wars pictures today from yours truly : http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/star-wars-land/news/26jul2017-photos---star-wars-galaxys-edge-construction-from-the-air.htm

Disney also announced that the remnants of Streets of America will be turned into an LA bar.

Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? The large building is most likely the battle attraction, but would that be the Millenium Falcon right next to it? The one with two circle foundations? Seems like we're getting something similar to Mission: Space, especially when you consider the desriptions they've released about the ride so far.

Yes they two circles (which will eventually be four) is the MF attraction. But it won't be like Mission Space. There will be several MF cabins rotating around the circles but it will be slow and you don't feel it. It's more like a omnimover system combined with a motion simulator base. They'll load one cabin while the rest move slowly around the circle doing their show.

^Interesting. Where did you get that infro from?

Sounds like a cool concept but it'll be interesting to see how they pull off the effect that you are boarding "the" Millennium Falcon cockpit as opposed to one of many if this is omnimover format.

^ Great new shots, thanks! I am still wondering though, how they are going to connect the Star Tours attraction to Galaxy's Edge...

...with The Muppets in the middle, LOL! For myself, I still think they could/should convert it (like ToT in DCA) it to a Muppets'

Ride thru Hollywood. On the bus, with the windows papered up ("There was a wee explosion in the bus that knocked them

all out", Dr. Bunsen Honeydew explains) and just the front windshield to see through. Easy!

Simple answer: They aren't. The street leading up to the new land is still going to be themed to buildings on earth. So, Star Tours will apparently not be a part of Galaxy's Edge. Just like in Disneyland, it will simply be a separate Space Port. Like it or not, that's what it seems is going to happen.