TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'll be at the park next Sunday night through Tuesday (July 16-18). I thought about getting a platinum flash pass... but it seems all the hot commodity rides are one ride only, and I do NOT get a ride on X2 with that, is that correct?

My main interest is Revolution during this visit; non-VR Revolution. Perhaps I should skip a flash pass all together, and just hope for empty single seats to jump in.

On this trip, I could care less about the B&Ms and the GCI. With a Platinum FP, I suppose I could get plenty of rides on Ninja, Viper, Goldrusher and Jet Stream!? I do like those. A lot! And I've NEVER been on the drop or Tatsu (which I've heard it really good).

The last time I purchased a flash pass at a SF park was at Great Adventure and it was a train wreck. Long line to get the pass.. rides going down... clueless employees. It wasted more time than saved.

For example, if I take my Platinum Flash Pass up to Tatsu, how long before I get on the ride? I'm trying to figure out if I could get multiple rides in a row, and if it would be worth it. The flash pass lines I notice at my home park (SFGAmerica) always seem clogged and slow... like it might be a waste of time. Just trying to plan my days, any input is cool!

On this trip, I could care less about the B&Ms
I've NEVER been on the drop or Tatsu (which I've heard it really good).

If you've never ridden Tatsu, why don't you have any interest in riding it? When we visited a few years ago (prior to full throttle and Twisted Colossus) I was absolutely blown away by it and considered it to be (easily) the best coaster in the park. You really need to make Tatsu a priority.

On this trip, I could care less about the B&Ms
I've NEVER been on the drop or Tatsu (which I've heard it really good).

If you've never ridden Tatsu, why don't you have any interest in riding it? When we visited a few years ago (prior to YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus) I was absolutely blown away by it and considered it to be (easily) the best coaster in the park. You really need to make Tatsu a priority.

Absolutely, I want to ride Tatsu. I should have said "Batman, Riddler and Scream" instead of "B&Ms." I rode Batman and Riddler years ago, and don't care about the Scream "credit." I think I will like Tatsu a lot! But I have a feeling Revo will still be my favorite in the park. I'm one of those Schwarzkopf fanboys. The designs really resonate with me.

When I used the Flash Pass at the park last year, I got on everything in less than 5 minutes. The only way it would take longer than that is if you wanted to wait for the front row on a popular coaster.

On a crowded July day? Also, did that 5 minutes include the time you entered the queue, walked to the flash pass employee and waited inside the station? Nit picky questions for sure, but I've seen SF operations for years... and all over the place. Also, I'm not keen on waiting in the line to get the pass itself. I usually leave SF parks after a couple hours, so I have to prepare myself mentally.

Thought some of you guys would be interested in this, I interviewed CEO John Wood and Creative Director Rich Hill of Sally Corp all about Justice League (and a little bit about their past and future projects) for Coaster101. Lots of interesting little tidbits in here (like why there's no Aquaman), but the biggest take away is that they're both really excited about the Magic Mountain version of the ride, and said that it is always going to be a one of a kind version of the ride.

Basically it makes me really excited to get down there and ride it!

Sally Corp Justice League Interview

It has been a few years since I've used the flash pass here, but in my experience we got either into the station or very close to it immediately after walking up to the ride on almost everything, although the way they do it on Goliath is a mess. If you plan ahead and reserve the next ride as soon as you get scanned in, you shouldn't have any problems there unless things have changed. Plus with the platinum flash pass, they let you stay in your seat for a re-ride each time you use the pass.

As far as getting the pass, that's a different story. I think it took us 30-45 minutes to get the pass, but it ended up being well worth it because we were there all day on a fairly busy day in August.

Also, I just got a quick day trip set up for September 7! I'm hoping that being a weekday in September right between Labor Day and Fright Fest the park is going to be dead, and hopefully the window between events is small enough that nothing will be down or limited due to maintenance. Maybe I can even get lucky and Revolution will not have VR to get ready for Fright Fest? Does anyone remember if they took VR off for a few weeks leading up to Fright Fest last year? I've been avoiding it since they did work on it and I'd really like to ride it but I refuse to wait in the long lines due to VR.

^ Oh are they? I was there in March or something and I thought I saw people getting the re-rides with the platinum wristband. I could be wrong though. One thing to keep in mind is even if you get right into the station, on some rides (like Tatsu) that can still mean a 15 minute wait.

^ Oh are they? I was there in March or something and I thought I saw people getting the re-rides with the platinum wristband. I could be wrong though. One thing to keep in mind is even if you get right into the station, on some rides (like Tatsu) that can still mean a 15 minute wait.

As far as I know, SF did away with the re-rides chain-wide with the platinum FP. I got a platinum FP when I visited during Spring Break in April and there was no wristband or re-rides. I've been twice since then and I haven't seen any platinum writstbands. It's not a big deal though if you have the platinum FP. If you reserve your next ride as soon as you get checked in, then your ride window is usually open by the time you're finished with the ride. This works especially well on Goliath because the FP stairs are right at the exit, so you don't have to completely exit the queue to re-ride.

If you go to the park on Sept 7, it should be pretty dead and you shouldn't need to buy a FP.

I'll be at the park next Sunday night through Tuesday (July 16-18). I thought about getting a platinum flash pass... but it seems all the hot commodity rides are one ride only, and I do NOT get a ride on X2 with that, is that correct?
That is correct, though you can purchase a reservation on X2 for $15 when you pick up your flash pass. IMO not worth it as you can either ride X2 first or catch it in the early evening when the line almost always shortens up.

My main interest is Revolution during this visit; non-VR Revolution. Perhaps I should skip a flash pass all together, and just hope for empty single seats to jump in.

On this trip, I could care less about the B&Ms and the GCI. With a Platinum FP, I suppose I could get plenty of rides on Ninja, Viper, Goldrusher and Jet Stream!? I do like those. A lot! And I've NEVER been on the drop or Tatsu (which I've heard it really good).

The last time I purchased a flash pass at a SF park was at Great Adventure and it was a train wreck. Long line to get the pass.. rides going down... clueless employees. It wasted more time than saved.

For example, if I take my Platinum Flash Pass up to Tatsu, how long before I get on the ride? I'm trying to figure out if I could get multiple rides in a row, and if it would be worth it. The flash pass lines I notice at my home park (SFGAmerica) always seem clogged and slow... like it might be a waste of time. Just trying to plan my days, any input is cool!

There's almost never a significant line to get the flash pass, unless it's a ridiculously busy day like a summer saturday, holiday weekend, or the dreaded Key Club day.

You won't need FP for Ninja, Viper, or Goldrusher. You can walk on those all you want. Sometimes Ninja gets a line on a busy day, but not always. Jet Stream does always have a long line on hot days, and the water rides usually have the longer wait times on Flash Pass too.

In general the FP does work well at Magic Mountain, the merges are all very close to the front except for Superman. Tatsu in particular you can really save a ton of time on. You pass the entire lower queue and go straight up the stairs (while everyone downstairs glares at you) If you plan on riding Tatsu repeatedly, FP is worth it right there. Also works really well on Goliath, Green Lantern (if you like that kind of thing), Riddler, Lex Luthor, and Batman. Though you can only use it once each, it also saves a bunch on FT, TC, and Revolution.

If you're on your own or have a small group, single rider queues are available on Viper, Riddler, Lex Luthor and Green Lantern. Revolution used to have one before the VR garbage. Now its reduced to allowing you to grab a free seat when you are near the front instead of having a separate line. Lex Luthor's single rider line only operates when the standby queue is long enough to warrant it, and though it will still save you some time, note that its usually the longest single rider wait, due to the gondolas having a lot of seats in a row, they don't need single riders that often, waits can be 15-20 minutes sometimes. For Green Lantern, the single rider line takes you right behind the dispatching ride operator and you usually get put on a train within a couple minutes. For Riddler the single rider line almost always guarantees you walk right onto the next available train, you rarely wait more than a couple minutes. I've never used the single rider line on Viper, because, why would anyone need to?

I recommend Gold unless you care about using it on Superman and Revolution. In my experience the wait time for your ride to be ready is usually the same between Gold and Platinum contrary to what the website says.

And since I brought it up, Key Club Day this year is Saturday November 11th. Do not plan a trip to the park that day. (Also: Im surprised the park is only open until 8pm, usually they're open until 12 or 1 on KC day arent they?)

http://www.cnhkeyclub.org/downloads/Events/Fall%20Rallies/2017%20Fall%20Rally%20South%20Flyer.pdf

Went to the park today, surprisingly not too crowded. It was the media day for justice League Dark ride. First time in the park in about 4 years and last visit didn't get too much in so I was glad to get a lot in today and finally rode twisted colossus. Great ride 2nd best rmc I've ridden behind wicked cyclone.Riddlers Revenge was also closed for the media event so I guess I missed that credit. After getting a concussion on x2 I saw the fire work laser show for media day and the red carpet. Here's some pics.

IMG_0321.thumb.JPG.dd6a3ae69a37a5a1c390b54f9c9e89a9.JPG

Fire works begin

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.e9225872497bf0e0e88542390cf8d93d.JPG

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.18932d97e9e448d894ee3614108a1bd1.JPG

Here you can see the lights in the plaza

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.c3a2931bcd026d838585436181b503f3.JPG

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.f463ef64c68c3455eec376c0f2a3d07b.JPG

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.87ca280c0a293aafdc33f1c20e338dca.JPG

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.b4bd49a85b2b1cfd83bd9bad5982a1ff.JPG

Hard to make out but there were also spot lights and lasers

IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.6779ebab01351871e0f4512c29507928.JPG

I was actually surprised how good the fireworks were

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.8a4788204b67849a5cfc151b39e91a19.JPG

Grand finale

IMG_0333.thumb.JPG.6712d19d3d9709e511f14cfc9bf77677.JPG

They had all the super hero and villans on stage

IMG_0337.thumb.JPG.8e36672c70e36d1ad3da9c16584b49ee.JPG

And here's the media red carpet

though you can purchase a reservation on X2 for $15 when you pick up your flash pass. IMO not worth it as you can either ride X2 first or catch it in the early evening when the line almost always shortens up.

I might go with early evening for X2 - as my FIRST catch will absolutely be Revolution. Big Anton fan. Long story behind Revolution, but I've waited a long time to ride it with out shoulder bars (yes, I'm aware of the trims). Haven't been to the park since 1999.

You won't need FP for Ninja, Viper, or Goldrusher. You can walk on those all you want. Sometimes Ninja gets a line on a busy day, but not always. Jet Stream does always have a long line on hot days, and the water rides usually have the longer wait times on Flash Pass too.

Thank you for the input! It sounds like I could benefit on Tatsu for re-rides, however I can't see myself wanting to ride it more than 3 or 4 times. I would benefit on FT, TC and Revo - but only one ride each. I'll have to wait until that day and see how it goes. Good thing I have a taste for the oldies at the park (minus the Revo situation).

I might be going alone, or with my 13 year old cousin. The whole family is visiting Carlsbad, and we've already decided our "family Theme Park day" should be spent at Knott's. Much more family friendly! But the little guy loves coasters and hanging out with his much older cousin. Either way, I/we will make it a good time.

We visited MM on Mon 6/26, SFSTL is our home park.

First of all thanks to all who gave me some tips! We were staying down in Santa Monica, got out of town early to avoid the LA rush hour, ate a lovely breakfast at Eggs N Things in Valencia, and were the fourth or fifth car in line at the turnstiles.

My son and I have gold passes and we used an ACE free ticket coupon for my husband. They did let him enter the with us at the gold pass entry (there was some dispute on the thread when I asked about it so I thought I would let you all know)

Since we had no layout of money for entry or food and we only had the one day I did let my son talk me into getting Platinum FP. This gave us one time ride on X2, TC, and Superman. Since we got there so early we were able to ride X2 and TC without much of a line and then save the one time FP for later in the day when it was getting crowded. It was really hot that day so I'm thinking the water park probably sucked some people away as well. Would he have been able to ride everything without the FP? Maybe, but no way would there have been multiples. He was chasing credits for ACE and hit #100 on Tatsu. The ride ops were really nice about letting me get in front of the front row to take a pic while loading was going on.

I guess JL us pretty cool for what it is..general consensus amongst the group was..."lame"..can say I been on it, wouldn't wait in line tho, that's for sure...really don't have any interest in getting back on it anytime soon. That's just the opinions of the 7 people I was with..hope you all get more from it then we did..by the way, none of us waste our lives on video games so that probably has something to do with it.

I guess JL us pretty cool for what it is..general consensus amongst the group was..."lame"..can say I been on it, wouldn't wait in line tho, that's for sure...really don't have any interest in getting back on it anytime soon. That's just the opinions of the 7 people I was with..hope you all get more from it then we did..by the way, none of us waste our lives on video games so that probably has something to do with it.

I rode it today and LOVED it. From the sound of it, this just isn't for you. This is for families interested in more than just riding coaster after coaster in 90 degree heat. I thought it was great fun and so well crafted by Six Flags and Sally rides. Thank GOD SFMM has added something different to this park. I can't say enough about it.

I've been at the Mountain for the past several days. I'm just glad that Riddler is open again & the BBQ place is back. Different name "Ace of Clubs," but same good BBQ. I'm happy, and could care less about JL. I don't do "VR" on Rev either. Yesterday afternoon VR wasn't an option, and I rode it 5 times. I love the ride for what it is without the horse-collars. Fast train dispatch too. Not the 10 + minutes with VR. That's just me...

^I hope I luck out and the VR is down when I'm there next week. The whole VR thing really squashed a proper re-introduction of Revolution. That layout is genius.
You can still ride without the VR if you want, VR in use just means slower dispatches and longer waits.

Is there a special queue for those not wishing to ride VR?

I know I don't have to wear the VR headset... but I don't want to wait in the three times longer VR line.

There used to be a single rider line for non-VR riders but I think they shut it down. I have heard that they will ask for non-VR riders to fill seats but they just pull them from the normal line. It really is a shame that they added VR as soon as they introduced the new trains. I would love to be able to marathon it with minimal wait times, but the VR has put a stop to those plans.

Is there a special queue for those not wishing to ride VR?

I know I don't have to wear the VR headset... but I don't want to wait in the three times longer VR line.

As mentioned above, when it first opened, that was an option. You'd walk up the exit ramp and go straight to the single-rider entry. There was rarely a wait for a non-VR ride as the single-rider line was always fairly short, and they were running trains half empty a lot back then. SFMM pulled the plug on that, presumably because more and more people were opting out (the VR itself is pretty bad on this one). So, I'd plan for the worst (45-60 min waits), and hopefully you'll get lucky and the VR will shut down. It does seem to break a lot (they can't use the phones in the rain or in extreme heat), and when VR goes down, good old Revolution returns. It's a great ride — one of the best in the park (Schwarzkopf rules) — which makes the VR thing all the more heinous.