Coasting for Kids 2017--Be Part of Team TPR!

Fundraising event returns this fall!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Coasting for Kids 2015 - Be part of Team TPR!!

Postby PhantomNick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:14 pm

sspaz1000 wrote:Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I wish GKTW all the best in coming up with an alternative to this event. This is one event I looked forward to every year. The fundraising, the riding with friends, to meeting wish families at the park, and hearing their stories. Everything together made this event what it was.

But I do hope that GKTW gets to work something out. I just feel bad for the fact that the amount of $ that GKTW won't be getting (directly from this type of event). I mean TeamTPR over the years have donated amazing amounts of $ to this cause, and to potentially not have that, makes me a little sad.

Thank you GKTW for a great event, and I look forward to what you come up with. :)

:nina: :nina: :nina:

Agreed 100%, on all points of this! I too look forward to whatever future version of C4K GKTW comes up with, and I will be there supporting it as passionately as before! :)
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby PVA62 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Bummer loved this event. Loved what it supported. Loved meeting new TPR people! I hope something is done soon, but I'm sure most of us will still make a donation toward GKTW no matter if we get to ride or not.

Thanks for the update.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby gromithere » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm with everyone else being disappointed that Coasting for Kids isn't continuing in it's previous form. Very hopeful that an alternate fundraising event is coordinated to support GKTW as suggested.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the new charity that Cedar Fair is partnering with is? As a fan of GKTW I'm going to support any efforts to raise money for them, but that doesn't exclude other good charities from existing and needing help as well! =)

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:08 pm

I stumbled across this post on another site with some more detail on the new direction for Coasting for Kids.....and I have to say, I was perhaps a bit too harsh on CF with my initial assessment. It sounds like they will still have a working relationship with GKTW, just not hosting the event itself. This also is in line with what Robb broke to us last week - that the event may possibly still happen in 2016! :) I'm not looking to promote other sites or any of that stuff, but this information seemed pertinent and worth sharing, especially considering this wonderful cause and event. I for one think we're all on one big team when it comes to Coasting For Kids.....from us here at TPR, to ACE, CoasterBuzz, or any others teaming up to raise funds for the great folks at GKTW!!

Here's the pertinent excerpt:

"Cedar Fair's relationship with GKTW is changing. The company will not host Coasting For Kids this year, and is instead taking on an exciting new reunion event for the village at a number of its parks. Cedar Fair's participation has helped raise more than $600,000 since 2009, and we're grateful for their leadership in getting the event off the ground. Their new role will provide closer interaction with wish families, and of course they will continue to participate in the Village's Passport program.

That means that this year's event will take place at different parks, with the potential to go global. One park has already committed, and we're having discussions to do more. The most exciting change is that this will no longer be a one-day event."

Looking forward to hearing an update from Robb on what's in store!
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby GnastyGnoric7 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 pm

This sounds epic, I am very happy to see this type of event beginning to expand. Guess I better keep my change jar going.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5aa0eaad4726c9c20252cb701744a4a8.jpg[/img][/url]

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby jazzimm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Well, I'm torn about this. A part of me is really excited for GKTW and the big new direction this sounds like it's taking.

... and then the selfish part of me is mad that CF won't be hosting the event this year because CW is my home park and this means I'll probably have to miss it again this year (was sick last year). :cry:
Meow!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Upsetting that CF won't be doing Coasting for Kids this year. I was really looking forward to doing in this summer at Dorney.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby GCI Wooden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:19 pm

PhantomNick wrote: The most exciting change is that this will no longer be a one-day event."

Ok, I'm intrigued.

Sad that Coasting for Kids isn't happening, but I'm interested to see what the future holds!
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby millertpr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Fellow TPR Members,

Now that coasting for kids is "in the books", here is a Minnesota group that has a large impact on many youth.
It would be great if you could support them. This is easy and does not require any donation of sorts.

MNThemeParks is a very small group that has a big impact in the theme park environment. They run events for poor children in theme parks that would not normally be able to go to a theme park. They cover all the costs, fees, everything. Right now they are looking to get tshirts for their leaders. If you go to the link below, you can complete several activities of no cost to you that give dollars directly back to the organization. A great way to support a great charity. Also, if you complete the activities as recognized, shoot me a private message and I'll send you a theme park prize pack. I love this organization and want to help them as much as possible. Thanks!

https://www.pearup.com/mnthemeparks/rally
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/e622c94bcc03087feff94e4513e6f51e.jpg[/img][/url]

Ignore this post, I'm probably drunk

Postby Vtafro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

Not sure if this would be the correct thread or if a new one should created.

2017 Coasting for Kids is back.
One park being Quassy Middlebury, CT on August 16,
The other at Frontier City Oklahoma City, OK on September 16.
http://support.gktw.org/site/PageNavigator/c4k_hmpg.html

Email I received below.

In years past, you’ve joined us for a day of heart-pounding roller coaster rides that supported Give Kids The World Village and the kids we serve. We can’t thank you enough for your help, and that’s why we want you to be the first to know about the return of Coasting for Kids! This year, we’re thrilled to introduce a bigger, better Coasting for Kids that lets you make an even greater impact.

You’re invited to join us for an exclusive Coasting for Kids event at some truly great amusement parks! This goes beyond roller coasters and includes access to any of the participating parks’ rides and attractions. Best of all, your special day out raises the money we need to give children with life-threatening illnesses and their families magical weeks in Orlando, FL, the theme-park capital of the world.

So sign up for Coasting for Kids, start a team, and share your story as you fundraise. Visit our website to learn more and see the parks that’ll be part of this terrific event. Let’s make this the best Coasting for Kids yet!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!