TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

• 4 weeks later...

SEAWORLD SAN DIEGO’S NEXT GENERATION SEA-LIFE EXPERIENCE TO FEATURE ORCA ENCOUNTER

Evolutionary New Presentation Focused on Natural Orca Behaviors in Natural Setting

(SAN DIEGO, Calif. – May 8, 2017) — SeaWorld San Diego’s long-awaited, all-new, inspiring Orca Encounter will debut this summer highlighting SeaWorld’s majestic killer whales in a documentary-style format featuring a three-story, first-of-its-kind infinity screen and a natural rugged coastline setting complete with towering pines and picturesque waterfalls.

Orca Encounter moves far ahead of using conventional animal videos and static displays through the unique combination of a live presentation layered with a digital environment. This new presentation will allow SeaWorld to share its 50-year knowledge of killer whale behavior and care in a way that has never been done before.

“By combining a live orca presentation with an extraordinarily enhanced and augmented digital environment, we will immerse our guests in the mysterious world of the killer whale, which most people would never get to experience,” said Brian Morrow, SeaWorld’s vice president of theme park experience and design.

A highly specialized team made up of orca behaviorists, engineers and researchers and writers spent nearly a year creating Orca Encounter. The result is an astonishing learning experience that will engage guests on an unprecedented educational and inspirational level.

“Guests may see a natural breaching behavior by the whales, and then on our new massive infinity screen they’ll see the same behavior by a killer whale in the wild enabling them to draw an even deeper connection to the orcas,” said SeaWorld San Diego orca behaviorist Kristi Burtis. “Our visitors will also hear how scientific research on killer whales at SeaWorld is benefiting wild populations.”

The unparalleled state-of-the-art technology of the nearly 140-foot-wide screen will also give guests the feeling they have actually stepped into an X-ray of the majestic orca. They’ll see every characteristic of the whale, from its pectoral flipper to tail flukes and more, in an up-close and personal way as opposed to the fleeting glance that only a lucky few will ever get in their lifetimes.

“The latest technology and educational techniques now allow us to also witness the amazing bond between humans and our orcas,” said Burtis. “It’s so important for as many people as possible to understand and appreciate orcas, which is key to the conservation of these extraordinary creatures in the wild.”

“They are at the top of the food chain; and literally they are in every ocean in the world, yet they are unseen by the vast majority of humans,” added Burtis. “Orca Encounter is the best chance most will ever have to see, study and appreciate them. We hope our guests will be inspired to take action to protect wild animals and wild places.”

The debut of Orca Encounter at SeaWorld San Diego reinforces the company’s commitment to educational and natural orca presentation. SeaWorld parks in Orlando and San Antonio will move to this new presentation by 2019.

• 4 weeks later...
So has anyone ridden Submarine Quest? I'm a SeaWorld fan and I hate to judge rides based on POVs but move over Antarctica...

Yea, this ride looks super lame, it's definitely aimed at younger children. I don't really mind since they are getting a Sky Rocket II for older kids and adults, but I can't see myself ever riding this thing. I just don't know what SW was thinking because this looks really disappointing.

Edited by VegasBaby

So has anyone ridden Submarine Quest? I'm a SeaWorld fan and I hate to judge rides based on POVs but move over Antarctica...

My brother went to the park yesterday with his 11 year old and 5 year old and he said it was terrible. He said the kids didn't like it at all either. They are about as "GP" as you get. Seems like a fail for Seaworld, hopefully they can get through all the hurdles to get the Sky Rocket 2 built.

I just watched a POV of the Sub ride thinking it would be neat, boy was I wrong. Everyone is right this thing looks lame. The fact that it has one small section inside and the rest is basically "pretending" to be underwater. they could have at least made it all inside. Just seems like they weren't even trying on this one. Even if it is geared towards families or kids, it is still pretty dull even for them.

Ooohhh that is sad lol. Did the budget get cut at some point during this project?

No it wasn't. The funny thing is they said the $100 million budget from the cancelled Blue World project was being put to new use, and this year was the biggest investment ever. I'm sorry but this ride, the orca encounter and a sky rocket 2 do not equal $100 million. They could have put in something amazing with $100 million.... not this

Ok . . . I see now . . . I just finished watching a POV of "High In the Sky Seuss Trolley Ride" and a POV of "Submarine Quest." From a non-rider perspective of each attraction . . . I think BOTH are enjoyable in my view. Submarine Quest may not have as much as one would like . . . BUT . . . it's still "cute and charming."

Ok . . . I see now . . . I just finished watching a POV of "High In the Sky Seuss Trolley Ride" and a POV of "Submarine Quest." From a non-rider perspective of each attraction . . . I think BOTH are enjoyable in my view. Submarine Quest may not have as much as one would like . . . BUT . . . it's still "cute and charming."

See, kids, drugs can be fun!

See, kids, drugs can be fun!

LOL. Especially if it's the right kind.

• 1 month later...

Good news out of SWSD, my brother was at the park yesterday and said there are construction walls up for the new electric eel coaster. He said there are signs posted on the walls advertising the new Sky Rocket 2! Looks like they cleared all the necessary hurdles and the ride will actually be built!!

Hi Samuel, it will be installed between Ocean Explorers and Journey to Atlantis, according to their instagram

Thanks! With that being the case, it should make quite an impression from the parking lot.