TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

My point is that when a ride is already running and has been running all day and you can see train after train hauling a** through the slow points on the course it seems a bit crazy to shut the ride down without a DRAMATIC change in weather.

As far as starting the coasters, I have no doubt that that's a complex decision making process that people who are much smarter than I am get paid a lot of money to figure out, but while the park admittedly has crazier weather than most it's still very rare for parks to routinely shut down coasters for wind when they've been running all day in conditions that were pretty similar. I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, but they do seem to be way more conservative than most parks.

I think you answered you own question - the park does have crazier weather hence the difference from elsewhere which is why the park valleys rides a lot more than most other parks so naturally they are more cautious. And it doesn't have to be dramatic a few mph can matter (heck, in Nagashima's case 5mph is dramatic), especially when you are talking wind-speed on ground vs. 200ft in the air. But really, it is more about the worry of gusts.

But again I think its a mitigate risk thing - close during wind or risk having to evac guests, make the news for the wrong reason, and have to remove train.

Park ops also have to keep in mind that if the wind is getting increasingly stronger and taking the ride down is inevitable, it's better to do it sooner than later because they will have to cycle empty trains to get empty.

All this chat about crazy weather and the park, is making me "a touch nervous" about our visit in June.

Just a touch. And I do remember what happened last year after CoasterMania!, in the same weekend.

So I've been thinking "good weather" thoughts since then, lol.

As we were driving out from Breakers today, I saw some of the ledgers for the section going through the structure under the lift area and it looks pretty nuts. Time will tell but I already know we need to come back sooner rather than later.

One more question/post involving the weather. I'm planning my first trip to the park next year and wonder what it's usually like mid-late June? I plan on 2-3 days there either the week of the 18th or 25th (either option being a Mon-Wed). Would it be better to wait until after July 4th? During this trip I also plan on 1 day at Carowinds on the way up and 1.5-2 days at Kings Island after CP. If it's in our budget, a day at Kentucky Kingdom as well.

One more question/post involving the weather. I'm planning my first trip to the park next year and wonder what it's usually like mid-late June? I plan on 2-3 days there either the week of the 18th or 25th (either option being a Mon-Wed). Would it be better to wait until after July 4th? During this trip I also plan on 1 day at Carowinds on the way up and 1.5-2 days at Kings Island after CP. If it's in our budget, a day at Kentucky Kingdom as well.

When I was there in mid-June last year for three days it was 80s and only rained one of the days and not until 9ish pm. But, like has been said many times before, there is no way to predict what the weather might be like. It could be windy, rainy, or sunny. But one thing is for sure, the park will be storming with enthusiasts because of New Mean Streak

So how bout Mean Streak?

Last time I checked this website wasn't Weather at Cedar Point Review

Yes? Instead of talking about a topic that could make or break someone's vacation, let's talk about the new ride that hasn't changed one bit in the last two weeks because you're bored.

So how bout Mean Streak?

To be fair, a big part of this site is trip planning/expectations/tips etc it's always been a big help to me and ya know, it's important to have an idea of weather to be expected. That could potentially ruin a trip. Also not the be that guy but is a new comment every day about the next piece of lumber added or the next 1/10th of a turn installed that critical? I love coaster construction but not much changes every day...hate to say but while the pics are great they all look kinda the same to me. I'll not really check too actively for a few weeks and see progress then.

tl;dr not much is happening with Mean Streak on a day to day basis what's to be excited about right now?

So how bout Mean Streak?

To be fair, a big part of this site is trip planning/expectations/tips etc it's always been a big help to me and ya know, it's important to have an idea of weather to be expected. That could potentially ruin a trip. Also not the be that guy but is a new comment every day about the next piece of lumber added or the next 1/10th of a turn installed that critical? I love coaster construction but not much changes every day...hate to say but while the pics are great they all look kinda the same to me. I'll not really check too actively for a few weeks and see progress then.

tl;dr not much is happening with Mean Streak on a day to day basis what's to be excited about right now?

Yeah, but to be even more fair, to sum up talking about weather at CP you can just say: "The weather at CP changes rapidly, and is always pretty hard to predict. Just go, hope for the best, and enjoy what you can!", and then give that as a stock answer, and move on from the conversation. Seriously... Trying to predict the weather at CP is worse than trying to predict weather in Michigan, which is nearly impossible. I'm going to CP on the 25th. Right now it's calling for rain showers in the AM. Until that morning, the forecast doesn't really matter. And even then, it matters very little...

As for RMC Streak, I'm all for as much talk about this amazing creation as possible!

Anybody consider that Meanstreak RMC could be... two different dueling coasters in the same structure? One launched and one lifthill.

Don't shoot me, I'm on my phone and the layout is kind of hard to grasp... but considering how much the construction is confusing people and the teaser " they are coming".

Possible?

Yeah, but to be even more fair, to sum up talking about weather at CP you can just say: "The weather at CP changes rapidly, and is always pretty hard to predict. Just go, hope for the best, and enjoy what you can!", and then give that as a stock answer, and move on from the conversation. Seriously... Trying to predict the weather at CP is worse than trying to predict weather in Michigan, which is nearly impossible. I'm going to CP on the 25th. Right now it's calling for rain showers in the AM. Until that morning, the forecast doesn't really matter. And even then, it matters very little...

As for RMC Streak, I'm all for as much talk about this amazing creation as possible!

I am a long time lurker of the boards since I never get out often enough, but I like reading everyone's stories and opinions. We will also be at Cedar Point on the 25th. We are traveling 6-7 hours and staying at the Breakers for a couple of nights. We will either use Starlight tickets on Wednesday night or full tickets on Fridays and leave early depending on travel and weather. We got the Black Friday deal, so we have Fast Passes for Thursdays. Even if they are not necessary, they were the motivation behind making the trip. We are exciting about going back for the first time in eight years. Later on in the summer, we hopefully will make it to King's Island.

To the post above possibly, but after looking at some more of the structure the dueling doesn't seem possible at certain points. And on the topic of weather, there was a 20% chance of rain at 2 and at 9 when we left in the morning. It rained for 45 minutes at 2:30 and rained the rest of the day starting at 5. Normally I'm a trooper in the rain but I was freezing cold without the rain, let alone once it came because the temperature barely reached 54. As far as I know Gemini never opened, however they were running one train on Gatekeeper, Raptor, Bluestreak and Millenium force (even maverick was up but with more than one train) in the rain and light wind. We rode Gatekeeper and Raptor and both felt like we were getting pelted with rocks so we decided against Millenium in the rain too. Also we rode TTD before it went down for the day, and Valravan was running on and off in the rain. I actually had quite a bit of fun even though it rained a lot, it was so nice to ride again since this was my first trip of the season and I can't wait to go later this summer when the weather will be better hopefully.

I went in early June last year. We flew into Cleveland, rode out severe weather warnings at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame (so amazing, by the way) then drove to Sandusky in the evening. We decided to drive by CP to find everything was completely closed due to a power outage, and they later announced the park wouldn't open the following day, either. We ended up driving down to KI the next day and doing CP the day after. Plus, they comped our room at Breakers Express for one night, which was nice. It was also abnormally cold for June according to locals, so I'm sure that shift had something to do with the severe weather. The weather definitely isn't predictable, but maybe summer is more reliable than late spring? I know that's the case where I live...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody consider that Meanstreak RMC could be... two different dueling coasters in the same structure? One launched and one lifthill.

Don't shoot me, I'm on my phone and the layout is kind of hard to grasp... but considering how much the construction is confusing people and the teaser " they are coming".

Possible?

No.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Dueling Mean Streak RMC? Totally possible. One long coaster that duels with itself? Totally possible. Two coasters that duel with each other? Totally possible.

Now it's just the waiting game. I am really enjoying this thing unfold. 10 months left for construction and testing.

Edited by JT325

So how bout Mean Streak?

If someone is trying to predict the weather around the Great Lakes a week or two (or more) in advance, they might have just as much luck using this...

Capture.JPG.1b1c19fa120cde8f55cf7cfafc19d986.JPG

The third lap is going to be a low to the ground, through the structure, head chopper filled good time, by the looks of it.

Hoping for a proper Goliath type stall eventually. That element is amazing. That said, they end the ride right now and it's still probably the best in the park.

Hoping for a proper Goliath type stall eventually. That element is amazing.

That would be possible after a launched lift… Or after the launch mid-ride That is fun and Goliath, and great for spectators too.

516e1e45350826830801e8508cb2566d.jpg

Mean Steak?? (that was a typo but I'm leaving it) booorrrrriiiinnngggg... you've seen enough photos of this inversion.

Just came here to say Brew and BBQ is an AWESOME event! Tons of drinks (ciders!) and (delicious!) food for the money. Started raining and I didn't plan for the weather but we started eating and drinking when they first opened so we're good!

58f74f7a34eecc6281cb10518c946850.jpg

In case anyone was wondering why the yellow train was stopped on the lift during early entry, they caught me with my drink on the ride. Luckily they didn't check my other pocket...

42548d3d1c3ccfbe79948dbde0f5e8a7.jpg

e28436a0b8e0164936c0c3a68f2a4693.jpg

More drinking!

8e2be843263de2f0d7046c8785db2684.jpg

More eating!

7f87f6c07c56c4f418c61949b6fc6ea5.jpg

Ribs!!! Yum!! Why does the Maverick border make me look like I have a horse for an erection? Giddy-up!

Anyway....

... now I remember why I don't visit cedar point on Saturdays. Granted it wasn't THAT bad today, and it's NOTHING like a mid-summer crowd, I'm just so used to the early and late Sundays in the season where later in the day the park normally has near walk-ons in the front of the park, and manageable lines on pretty much everything. Not used to seeing Magnum, Rougarou, Raptor, Gatekeeper and others have lines past the merge points near the end of the day, and this was after tons of people left when the rain came in. Oh well, that's what they make fast lane for 8)

Thanks for reading my post that I edited about 3,000 times!

If you havn't experienced Brew & BBQ... go!! Go now!! But seriously, it's awesome. The website has a list of food and drinks at the bottom of this page on the Q&A:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/brew-and-bbq

Edited by anonymouscactus

Love the photos!

Brews and BBQ is maybe one of my favourite festivals of any theme park. The fact that you can watch Maverick while participating may have something to do with it....

All this chat about crazy weather and the park, is making me "a touch nervous" about our visit in June.

Just a touch. And I do remember what happened last year after CoasterMania!, in the same weekend.

So I've been thinking "good weather" thoughts since then, lol.

Yeah, weather in the Midwest, fickle at any time, is especially volatile in the late spring...so right now. Last year Coastermania! was day 3 of a five-day trip, and it was literally the only day of that trip that didn't have any rain. Hoping it works out well for you! With multiple days (3, right?), you're almost guaranteed one of them will be great weather, and the other two won't. That's the Midwest for you.

I'm crossing my fingers for good weather for my visit as well on August 3rd and 4th. We've had lots of luck with our previous East Coast vacations... but Cedar Point's location can really make it unpredictable. We can always have a third day at Cedar Point as well, but it will cut into our Kings Island time. Hoping for the best!

We were also planning on going to the park today but due to unforseen circumstances didn't spend a second day. We left Sandusky at 9:30a and the thunder/lightning forecast that was plaguing the entire day for an entire week changed to just regular showers when I checked before we left. It was raining, but not horribly.

Reports around the internet said minimal to no waits today. Just checked now and it looks like almost everything is operating.

So, to sum it up, don't rely on the weather even if it's the worst possible. Even a day that said 100% thunderstorms from 6a-5p it looks like people are having an awesome time today because nobody is there and it's just a bit wet but nothing to cause everything to be closed for the entire day.