TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Ugh... I can't stand it when Bumper Cars have that island in the middle...

Neither can I. I don't know if it's intentionally supposed to clog things up or if it's to make everyone drive in a circle, but it's annoying.

Sadly, I think their intent IS to "encourage" people to drive in a circle, and to "prevent" head-on collisions. Which, IMHO, pretty much defeats a lot of the fun of bumper cars! (I mean, I don't actually TRY to hit people head-on, but still, driving in a circle is terrible...)

Neither can I. I don't know if it's intentionally supposed to clog things up or if it's to make everyone drive in a circle, but it's annoying.

Sadly, I think their intent IS to "encourage" people to drive in a circle, and to "prevent" head-on collisions. Which, IMHO, pretty much defeats a lot of the fun of bumper cars! (I mean, I don't actually TRY to hit people head-on, but still, driving in a circle is terrible...)

The island is essentially a CYA move on parks to prevent head-on collisions. More than a few times, bloody noses from children have resulted from head-on collisions. As one who has operated an islandless bumper cars, we are required to make the spiel that says "try to avoid head-on collisions" but no one enforces it. I can also imagine that the island makes it harder to clean the attraction.

Can't believe that coasterbill let this comment slide on by!!!

1177993273_Knoebels_2010291.jpg.6853089d893aaae756c7264b31abe077.jpg

It has an island, but, but...

488000117_Knoebels_2010287.jpg.c7cba784b7bd07ba1dcb634ec2c6797e.jpg

The island doesn't mean sh%t in terms of head-on collisions. Despite the fact that you are not allowed to perform head-on collisions, they still are mostly unavoidable due to all of the craziness that IS Skooters.

^ Those cars move so fast that anything is possible. Hoffman's Playland had the Lusse cars without a center divider and I could cause some deadly collisions without it.

As expected the bumper cars were just ok. The cycle is very short and the small driving area combined with the metal island in the middle caused a lot of people to spend most of the ride cycle stuck. Stinger was closed with some mechanics working on the ride but it never opened (not that I would have ridden the coaster anyway).

[attachment=0]IMG_2086.JPG[/attachment]

I also noticed this when walking around the park today.

I really want that red sweatshirt as a joke. I can't believe it was printed like that.

Those cars move so fast that anything is possible. Hoffman's Playland had the Lusse cars without a center divider and I could cause some deadly collisions without it.

My local park (which is now a state park) used to have a Dodge Em back in the day with "modern" (think 70's) cars mixed with "old school" (think 50's) cars where you could actually see the wheels.

I used to ride the no-see-um "modern" wheeled ones which sat lower to the floor. I remember seeing a couple of people get bloody noses (on the old school models) from whacking their noses on the steering wheel pads from head-on collisions - even with the harnesses (which were always loose as hell).

When I would hit the old school models you could actually see the back wheels leave the ground during a head-on collision, of which there were no rules against doing (so of course, everyone did it). There was no island, so it was a total all-out free for all from start to finish. I was actually intimidated to ride these back in the day until I myself turned into a violent little teen - and then it was on.

Ahhhh....it's fun to harken back to those good old days. Skooters is the closest thing that can bring me back to that time, so that's why they're so f%cking awesome now.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning we were at a small ACE event for Steel Force's 20th anniversary. We had ERT on Steel Force for an hour before the park opened, and there's also ERT that we aren't doing after the park closes. We were there from 9:00 to about 12:30. We ate at Chickie's and Pete's. The park was actually pretty crowded (by Dorney Park standards, still pretty dead.) The crews for Talon and Hydra were so awful that they would have been better off with one train since you sat so long on the brake run. Talon even developed a small line because of the hold-ups! Everyone else was pretty fast. It was a great time. Rides:

Steel Force x 6 - Steel Force NEVER runs like it did this morning. I think they definitely lightened up on the mid-course brakes for the ERT! This thing had amazing airtime at the end! The first half was normal (although more exciting because of the stinging rain) but when the bunny hills started, the ride got incredible. The last two hills and both parts of the double-up had ridiculous stand-up ejector airtime! Even the tiny bump into the final brakes at the very end had a little bit of air. Every seat was equally great. We were going absolutely wild and had an awesome time. I had to let my sister know that this coaster isn't usually this good.

Whip

Monster x 2 - We got to go two cycles in a row without getting up!

Possessed - Back row.

Talon - Back row, left seat. It was a little sluggish in the cold, but still forceful.

Hydra - Front row.

Thunder Creek Mountain - It was wet, cold, and a great flume like always.

Demon Drop x 3 - Amazing way to end the day and dry off from the rain and flume!

I've gotten rides on Steel Force of varying intensity. I've had some rides where it absolutely crawls through the layout but there have been a few random rides (usually in the evening) where the ride flies over the hills and gives much stronger air.

FYI

[attachment=0]DPclosed.jpg[/attachment]

Also, word on the street is that the troika is finally testing and expected to be running for Memorial Day wknd.

Yes Kaleidoscope has been testing. I saw it run a couple times yesterday. The GM said they will have it open by next weekend.

Steel force's mid-course brake is actually speed controlled. Meaning the faster you go through the first half of the course the harder the mid-course brake will try to correct you to keep the speed constant coming off the mid-course.

What the means is if the wind happens to be going the right direction (towards the first drop), you will be traveling slower through the first half and the brakes will barely grab, while also being pushed by the wind in the right direction towards the bunny hops.

These are the ideal conditions for a fantastic Steel Force ride