TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Looks fantastic. I know nothing about the movie or the characters, but I think the theme of nature looking pretty fits in perfectly with Animal Kingdom.

I'm curious to hear what the "story" behind the ride entrance sign/pole design is. It's kind of strange that the two attraction signs look basically identical and really don't even identify the ride. Maybe there is another "sign" or something that wasn't completed yet or something.

^Also, good to see a single rider line, I'm sure that will come in handy.

Wow! I, like others have said, was a bit (ok, VERY) skeptical of how good Pandora may, or may not, look like. Seeing the photos and videos, I'm pretty much blown away. I didn't understand the size of the floating mountains until the pics from underneath, and the video of the guy walking thru. This seems seriously impressive!!!

And, knowing how much Robb and Elissa have a certain disdain for "simulator" type rides - their high endorsement of the "Banshee" ride, speaks VOLUMES!!

Never thought I'd say this - But, I'm REALLY looking forward to your next media day report!!

JJ

Yeah, you know how I feel about simulators, but this basically moves more than almost any other simulator on the planet. I spent half of my second ride just looking behind me at the mechanics of the ride vehicle which was incredible. Plus with the different seats it makes it feel like a real ride. Now that being said, towards the end of the ride you do this crazy barrel role maneuver and that quickly reminds me that I'm on a simulator and about to feel nauseous! Luckily that's right at the end!

Wow! I, like others have said, was a bit (ok, VERY) skeptical of how good Pandora may, or may not, look like. Seeing the photos and videos, I'm pretty much blown away. I didn't understand the size of the floating mountains until the pics from underneath, and the video of the guy walking thru. This seems seriously impressive!!!

And, knowing how much Robb and Elissa have a certain disdain for "simulator" type rides - their high endorsement of the "Banshee" ride, speaks VOLUMES!!

Never thought I'd say this - But, I'm REALLY looking forward to your next media day report!!

JJ

Yeah, you know how I feel about simulators, but this basically moves more than almost any other simulator on the planet. I spent half of my second ride just looking behind me at the mechanics of the ride vehicle which was incredible. Plus with the different seats it makes it feel like a real ride. Now that being said, towards the end of the ride you do this crazy barrel role maneuver and that quickly reminds me that I'm on a simulator and about to feel nauseous! Luckily that's right at the end!

I'm impressed with what Disney did with Pandora! The pictures look incredible. Based on your quotes, I think I would find it enjoyable since I'm not a big fan of simulators

AMAZING report!! Thank you so much for putting it together!

I'm visiting this summer with my Mom and this just made me very excited to see this land. Everything looks incredible with the attention to detail. The food looks good, the rides sound great. I can't imagine this land not being a huge win with the public.

I think I've fallen a little bit in love with Pandora. Whimsical and just a tad weird - doesn't get better than that! And, oh yes! Must have one of those baby banshees! MUST! I get good vibes that he/she'll get along with my Shih Tzu.

Thanks so much for taking us on this -- (choose superlative here:) -- awesome, unique, ultra-outstanding, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ADVENTURE!

Alice

Damn, we have to get over there and go to this. It looks just too beautiful to pass up. Eventually...

Along with the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land... and whatever else is being built, lol.

(I definitely want a baby banshee too!)

Wow, that is awesome. Never seen Avatar and thought I wouldn't be interested but that looks incredible. Glad to hear you won't be lost without knowing the story. Thanks for the report!

Wow! Pandora looks even more amazing than I expected. It's nice that they will open with not one, but two e-ticket rides (a thrill one and a family one). Pandora is what might make me finally pull a trigger on doing a Florida trip, although I've been wanting to do one for awhile. If I don't make it to Orlando this year then I will next year for sure.

0090_4.jpg

A lot of people won't notice little details like this but I certainly will. I collect theme park merchandise bags and I think this one looks really cool.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Pandora for myself. I've always believed that DAK was a bit under-rated among Disney's parks, but I think this new land will give the park a big push.

Animal Kingdom is a fantastic park, my favorite. I've always thought Indiana Jones wold be a great fit for this park. I wish they would expand the animal aspect a bit more with an Austrailia/New Zealand area with the unique animals found there and an indoor coaster inside a forced scale replica of Uluru/Ayers Rock. I think it's missing a couple more rides. Can't wait to do the night time Safari, so excited to see this place at dark, all of it, not just Pandora.

I was thinking Shanghai may also usher in an agreement for Pandas

I always loved AK. Despite the lack of rides (esp before EE) the themeing, immersion and level of detail was IMO above and beyond any of the other parks. I could spend hours just walking around looking at everything. It looks like Pandora is taking this to a whole other level.

Also I applaud WDI on their use of the IP. Instead of focusing on the movie plot, characters, etc., which would have dated the area and possibly isolated those who weren't familiar with the story, they simply used the incredibly design of pandora (which was the highlight of the movie anyways) and built around it. That way you don't have to be familiar with the story or movie to appreciate it. Also the tie into AK's overall message of conservation and living with nature really makes it feel right at home in the park (from what I can see anyways).

For the person asking about the signage, from what I read WDI didn't want to have bold ride signs or anything because they didn't want to break the immersion. Same reason why the shops have their own bags (rather than WDW bags), etc.

If this is any indication of what WDI has in store for us, just imagine what the Star Wars stuff is going to look like!

For the person asking about the signage, from what I read WDI didn't want to have bold ride signs or anything because they didn't want to break the immersion. Same reason why the shops have their own bags (rather than WDW bags), etc.

Yeah, I do like it, it looks great just kind of different. I wonder if that's going to lead to any confusion from the guests looking for a typical ride entrance sign. It will also be interesting to see what kind of images they use for promoting the Flight of Passage ride. Will they show pictures of the link chairs, footage from the ride or what? They've done a pretty job of keeping that attraction under wraps thus far so I'm curious to see how much they "give away" ya know.

I made a video to showcase and explain some special effects at Pandora: The World AVATAR. I'm not talking about animatronics or floating mountains, but some smaller tricks you may have not even noticed! Hope you like it.

^ Wow, very cool! I had no idea of any of these ways, for producing such effects.

That dinosaur "looking at you" effect was actually un-nerving, when the camera

panned back to the start position. Freaky to watch, but I loved it, too!

This is like backstage at musical theatre for me, and even though I know all the

special tricks and effects used to pull off such visuals etc. I still enjoy what is

produced "on stage."

Thanks for sharing this!

The cast members in the area have their own Pandora name tags as well. It makes the "Mr. Consistency" part of me squirm but I think it certainly helps with the immersion that they were looking for.

I made a video to showcase and explain some special effects at Pandora: The World AVATAR. I'm not talking about animatronics or floating mountains, but some smaller tricks you may have not even noticed! Hope you like it.

Your video is fantastic!!! I really enjoyed it and had no idea about any of those effects. The Na'vi head turning illusion had me very confused until you showed the dinosaur shadow standup, and then my head promptly exploded. Really, really cool. I hope you are able to make more behind the scenes videos like this - whether about theme parks or other places!

^ The dinosaur effect is clearly my fave of the bunch. And I have to think, a front yard full

of skeletons, "watching" you as you slowly come up the steps, to the house for.... treats?

Edit: WOAH! From 1:10 on.....fascinating to watch... and hear, lol.

I have no idea if we'll ever get over there, but I'll keep it from David,

so he can be knocked over as I just was. Great video, Robb!