Robb & Elissa in the UAE - 2017! Dubai & Abu Dhabi!

P. 12 - IMG Worlds of Adventure Part 1!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Robb & Elissa in the UAE - 2017! Dubai & Abu Dhabi!

Postby cruisedude4 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

It would be great to know an update on the unopened rides at Motiongate- headed to Dubai on two layovers in June and was hoping to have a fully-opened theme park when I arrive!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm

cruisedude4 wrote:It would be great to know an update on the unopened rides at Motiongate- headed to Dubai on two layovers in June and was hoping to have a fully-opened theme park when I arrive!

Well, this isn't going to be the thread to get an update on what's happening right now at Motiongate, sorry. This thread will feature a report on our visit to Motiongate, but that's not going to be the information you're looking for.

We do have a Dubai Parks & Resorts thread: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68936

Or you could always try asking them on social media. They seem to be very responsive on Facebook and Twitter.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm

SharkTums wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Dubai is a place I really need to visit someday. Maybe when we have a different president though...

The UAE is one of the Muslim countries our president loves because he has a golf resort and gets money from them! We did a good 'US Apology Tour' while there, and it was interesting how so many people thought EVERYONE in the US voted for Trump. We explained that less than half of the country voted for him and don't share his values. So we're trying to help with how the world views Americans!

Bravo to TPR, our Chief Ambassador of the "U.S. Apology Tour!" Kudos for setting the record straight around the world. My British friends were aghast at our election results, and I've been sending out lots of emails trying to explain that "less-than-half-of-the-country" scenario. "Sad!" :(

P.S. It was quite an education to see how 'modernistic' the UAE has become. It must be a totally unique experience to visit this one-of-a-kind part of the world. (Those towering city buildings are awesome - almost 'sci-fi.') Thanks for your report and for sharing your journey!

Alice

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:40 pm

^ Yeah...me and my partner are doing the same thing with our British and European friends.

Unfortunately, my partner was in Surgical ICU during the election and was unable to cast even an absentee, but I made sure to tell him after Trump won that I did go down to cast my vote.

He would have killed me if I didn't vote! :lol:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

The next day of our trip was a bit more adventurous, and really quite a LOT! First we would start the day skiing and I have to say that Ski Dubai should be on the list as one of the many wonders of the world. I will preface this by saying that it's the only indoor snow skiing venue I've been to, but I absolutely LOVE it! And while no, it doesn't replace going actual skiing in the mountains, the fact that they have legit fun snow skiing and snowboarding IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING ARABIAN DESERT is what sells this place for me!

We stuck to just skiing and snowboarding today, but the venue also has toboggan runs, kids play areas, snow zorbing, and penguins! It's seriously amazing!

The next leg of our adventurous day would take us on a "Desert Safari" and this is probably the most quintessential "touristy" thing to do in Dubai. But it's a hell of a lot of fun! Your afternoon evening is usually broken into a few different parts. The first part is where you get to play in the sand. Some of us took ATV's out into the sand and then we all went out into Land Cruisers for some dune bashing. That is just absolutely INSANE!

We'll stop for a bit to check out the dunes, do some sand surfing and then head to our "desert camp" for some dinner and evening entertainment. If you ever make a trip to Dubai, there are a bunch of these "desert safari" tours you can book. We did the ones through "OceanAir Travel" and they are a great company to work with! Highly recommended!

Ok, onto some photos because we all know text is sooooo boring!

IMG_7860.JPG
Here we are at the Mall of the Emirates. This is a GIANT shopping mall, one of many in Dubai and their main attraction aside from all the shopping is "Ski Dubai!"

ski dubai outside.jpg
Here is what the venue looks like from the outside. I have to be honest, when you see it from this perspective, it doesn't do the place justice.

IMG_7865.JPG
The first thing you do at Ski Dubai is get your rental equipment, get suited up and you're ready go to. Thankfully one ticket gets you everything you need for the day!

IMG_7865a.JPG
Next... time to hit the slopes!

IMG_7865b.JPG
Even Janice is getting back on skis after she tore her ACL in Park City a few years ago! This place does miracles!

IMG_7865c.JPG
Dan had never been on skis before so Robb was almost able to teach him how to ski. "Almost" being the key word here... ;)

IMG_7865d.JPG
Ski Dubai features a 1,300 foot long run, which honestly is quite impressive considering you're INDOORS in the middle of the desert!!!

IMG_7865e.JPG
"So what if I tore my ACL? I'm still skiing like a BOSS!"

IMG_7865f.JPG
You can see pretty much most of the run here. There's a bit up around the corner at the top, not too much, but really, this run offers some fun and challenge especially when there isn't any mountains anywhere around here!

IMG_7865g.JPG
KidTums action shot!!!!

IMG_7865h.JPG
"Eh, leave me alone! I'm trying to ski!!!"

IMG_7865i.JPG
Matt enjoying being on skis in the middle of the freaking Arabian Desert!

IMG_7890.JPG
Joe basically thinking the same thing!

IMG_7895.JPG
From the chair lift you can get a different perspective of Ski Dubai.

IMG_7896.JPG
KidTums and I just hanging out skiing in the desert!

IMG_7901.JPG
Looking back while on the chair lift.

Honestly, the best way to get an idea of this place is through some video, so here you go!

IMG_7917.JPG
After skiing we went to get some Shake Shack! Of all the burger places to import here in Dubai (of which they have many) we are so happy to have Shake Shack! It's one of our favorites and it's just as awesome here!

IMG_7920.JPG
Damn that is soooo good!

IMG_7968.JPG
Hey look! The peanut butter shakes here don't need stickers all over them warning people that there are nuts in this product because this country isn't filled with horrible Americans!

IMG_7991.JPG
Driving to the Desert Safari was passed the archway that once said "Universal Studios Dubai."

IMG_7996.JPG
And there it is! Sand.... lots and lots of sand!

IMG_7996a.JPG
Here is our humble little group for the trip. Nice and small and asshole free and that's exactly how we like things! :Pr

IMG_8001.JPG
Some of the group went out on ATVs in the sand! So much fun!!!

IMG_8011.JPG
This right here is our vehicle of hot death! We would next go out "Dune Bashing" which is basically trying really really hard to crash and roll your truck in the sand, but stopping RIGHT BEFORE you are about to die.

IMG_8025.JPG
Here we all go... marching into the sand to our deaths!

This is not something that really be described in pictures. So here's some video. Stop what you are doing and watch. It's only a couple of minutes long...

IMG_8031.JPG
Here's the girls in the sand!

IMG_8043.JPG
And then it was time for some sand surfing!!!

IMG_8043b.jpg
There aren't many places in the world you can go from snowboarding to sand surfing in just a few hours!

kristen sand surfing.jpg
Kristen did it sitting down and BACKWARDS! lol She's nuts!

IMG_8077.JPG
Where there is desert, there are camels!

IMG_8087.JPG
And of course we took advantage and plopped our fat asses on top of these poor creatures! Sorry guys!

VOLUME UP AND WATCH THIS VIDEO CLIP!!!!

IMG_8087b.JPG
Let's just say the "dismount" on the camels leaves a lot to be desired and could sometimes produce... um... "interesting" situations...

IMG_8087bb.JPG
For example... This. Quickly turned into....

IMG_8087c.JPG
THIS!!!

IMG_8087d.JPG
It's all good though! lol

IMG_8098.JPG
Good camel, goooood camel!

IMG_8102a.JPG
This would be our "Desert Camp" for the next couple of hours for some food and entertainment!

IMG_8107.JPG
"Balls."

IMG_8114.JPG
Because Kristen likes holding animals that could bite her face off!

IMG_8126.JPG
Kristen getting all tatted up!

IMG_8128.JPG
Looks awesome!

IMG_8189.JPG
My food looked... um... perplexed?

IMG_8202.JPG
This is pretty much the only "local food" we would have the whole trip. I mean, between the Applebee's and Chili's why would we go anywhere else? ;)

IMG_8212.JPG
The evening started with some whirling dervishes which we would simply refer to as "spinning guy."

IMG_8218.JPG
No, that's not a new amusement park attraction, that's spinning guy all lit up! Check out this little video:

IMG_8230.JPG
Next would come the star of the show...the belly dancer!

IMG_8231.JPG
Once she came out, we pretty much were fixated on one thing... THOSE BOOBS!!!

IMG_8254.JPG
We discussed it quite a bit, but we weren't sure if they were part of the costume or just really solid fake melons. Because they never moved ONE BIT! lol

IMG_8305.JPG
But if there is one thing I know for certain... any girl who can balance a sword on her boobs IS A KEEPER!!!!
And with that our evening comes to an end. Although it wouldn't be a night in the desert without...

IMG_9999.JPG
CAMEL TOE!!!!!

Thanks for reading! We will have more Dubai updates soon!
Oh yes, be sure to POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!
(we took the time to write the report, the least you could do is say something nice about it!) :p

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 am

The outside of the Ski Dubai building looks like something out of Star Wars. Looks like a great day in the desert, but remember this ancient proverb: "Beware of the woman who balances a sword on her head and her breasts."

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 am

This time we booked the 'more adventurous' dune bashing and I was pretty nauseous after about 10 minutes! If you're prone to car sickness stick with the ''normal" tour!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Pear » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 am

That ski slope building looks much better than this one at Wanda Harbin

The best coaster is Boulder Dash

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:35 am

SharkTums wrote:This time we booked the 'more adventurous' dune bashing and I was pretty nauseous after about 10 minutes! If you're prone to car sickness stick with the ''normal" tour!

The video looked like insane fun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am

Great report, KidTums has absolutely mastered the art of the snow plow, very impressive!

Also, being from the NY/NJ area it's really a rare treat to see what an indoor ski resort looks like when it's actually completed by a competent developer and open to the public so thanks for sharing. Something like that would be nothing more than a crazy fantasy around here. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!