TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

im planning on hitting the food trucks

Sounds like a good weekend @ the park. I was out of town on a relentless road trip (and sadly passed no less than four parks that I could not stop at). Nonetheless, that has me itching to do something this coming weekend.

Anyone heading over for the Fast Tracks and Food Trucks festival this weekend? I shouldn't because I'm broke after a whirlwind weekend but it sounds fun and I always get boners for food trucks.

Psych Yourself Up for World-Class Coasters and Chow Down on Delicious Food Truck Fare!

Join us for the 4th annual Fast Tracks and Food Trucks festival with 15 food trucks all with delicious treats! Food Truck area is open from 12 to 7 p.m. each day and the wine sampling is open from 1 to 5 p.m. each day.

Enjoy music from Alex English on April 22 from 1 to 5 p.m. and Stealing Savannah on April 23 from 1 to 5 p.m. at the festival.

Admission to the festival is included with theme park admission or a season pass. Food is available for an additional fee. Entrance to the event is located in Movietown. Wine tasting portion requires a ticket. Tickets are available online for $10.99 in advance. Discounted theme park tickets will also be available for the day.

Food Trucks:

Cajun Jax BBQ (link is external) - A taste of the old south with a Cajun twist

Chimney Cake Factory (link is external) - Transylvanian oven baked pastries

Empanada Guy (link is external) - Gourmet Latin pastries and tapas

Gyros To Go (link is external) - Custom made Greek-American food

Johnny's Pork Roll (link is external)- Building an army of pork roll fans one sandwich at a time

My Four Suns (link is external) - Authentic Korean-fusion cuisine

Oink and Moo BBQ (link is external) - American BBQ and Tex-Mex

Star of the Sea Seafood (link is external) - Homemade, hand-prepped seafood

Suzie's Rolling Wrappers (link is external) - Gourmet, deep-fried wrappers

Sweet Lavender (link is external) - Simple yet sophisticated desserts

The Flying Pie Guy (link is external) - Hand held savory Aussie pies

The Guac Spot (link is external) - Artfully-crafted, avocado-inspired tacos, sliders & desserts

The Little Sicilian (link is external) - Specializing in many varieties of Sicilian riceballs

Waffle de Lys (link is external) - Authentic Belgian waffles with a French twist

Five Sisters (link is external)- Pub-style burgers and FAT sandwiches

Wineries

DiMatteo Vineyards (link is external)

Villari Vineyards (link is external)

Wagonhouse Winery (link is external)

While wining and dining get up-close encounters with some of our amazing safari animals from 1-4 pm. Each guest who purchases a wine sampling ticket will have the chance to win an exclusive Safari V.I P. tour!

This wasn't planned at all but we'll be there Sunday (weather permitting). It'll be another visit with the family. Normally it's just me, Brit and whoever we run into at the park but occasionally we convince my mom to tag along (who's pushing 60 but loves coasters and is convinced that the sun rises and sets with Nitro). We convinced her to come with us for the first time in like 2 years (aside from HITP) last weekend and now it turns out she and my brother will both be in Jersey on Sunday and they asked if we wanted to go back... I can't say no to that. lol

It's as if the universe is working to make sure I eat as many waffles as possible.

Edited by coasterbill

This just in from Six Flags Great Adventure!

World’s Tallest and Fastest Drop Ride to Debut

Extreme VR Experience at Six Flags Great Adventure

in Partnership with Samsung

Opens May 5 with Spider-Infested Virtual Reality Experience

JACKSON, N.J. ─ April 20, 2017─ Six Flags Great Adventure, in partnership with Samsung Electronics America, Inc., the “Official Technology Partner of Six Flags,” today announced an all-new, extreme virtual reality experience coming to the world’s tallest and fastest drop ride beginning May 5. Thrill-seekers will use Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus to battle giant, mutant spiders while they plunge 41 stories at speeds up to 90 mph on Drop of Doom VR, a fully-integrated virtual reality (VR) experience on Zumanjaro.

“As the leader in innovation, Six Flags launched the very first VR coaster experiences. Now, we are taking virtual reality to the next level with the introduction of the first VR drop rides,” said Neal Thurman, park president. “Drop of Doom VR plays upon two of our greatest fears – extreme heights and spiders – and delivers an entirely new thrill for the spring 2017 season.”

While anxious riders buckle into their floorless seats and strap on their VR headsets, they are transported into a 360-degree virtual world where they become pilots of a futuristic gunship under attack by mutant spiders. This intense, interactive adventure features:

- High speed, vertical ascent up 41 actual stories that transforms into 100 virtual stories while teetering off the edge of a helicopter;

- A 360-degree rotating view high above massive city skyscrapers that are under siege by enormous spiders;

- A high-intensity gun battle against a giant arachnid, spewing baby spiders that virtually crawl all over the rider’s body;

- A thrilling 10-second fiery plunge straight down at speeds up to 90 mph between towering skyscrapers;

- The final showdown with a spider the size of a van, teeth-gnashing and in full attack mode.

For a limited time only, guests can experience the Drop of Doom virtual reality attraction free with paid park admission. Riders must be at least 48” tall to ride Drop of Doom VR, and at least 13 years old to experience Samsung Gear VR.

1264512087_PHOTO_DropofDoomRidersinVRGoggles.thumb.jpg.32720b75ab29b68d066f6069e8c91680.jpg

288804573_PHOTO_DropofDoomVRLogoColor.thumb.jpg.281782856c6ab1b7733209d2e7fa28b9.jpg

34538006_PHOTO_DropofDoomVRRendering.thumb.jpg.6230b2b987dc3d4cc0f3a0a2d35e01d9.jpg

1008596860_PHOTO_DropofDoomVRSplitScreen.thumb.jpg.7cd470e44a6d06a7d78f7bdb3e000ff3.jpg

Guys - I know some people just LOOOOOOVE to be first to post news and stuff, but please... PLEASE I ask, when news breaks, especially when it's from a park that you all KNOW we regularly post information from, please wait for one of the admins to post it. It just means we have to spend EXTRA time and do more work cleaning up a thread and removing posts so that everything will now flow like the discussion should.

Thank you.

I'd like some more details. I want to make sure that you don't HAVE to ride with VR, because if you do, and with the Six Flags VR age restrictions they've just cut out about 6 years worth of riders that can ride.

Also, maybe a separate queue for VR? I don't need this ride to all of a sudden have a two hour line for me to ride with out the goggles!

If there's any Six Flags park that can at least pull this off right it's Great Adventure, so here's to hoping for the best!

My opinion of this still stands.

e06afccf28ae1bbb3d328845034299e7.gif

Also, maybe a separate queue for VR? I don't need this ride to all of a sudden have a two hour line for me to ride with out the goggles!

This is my issue. I love Zum, probably more than most of the coaster junkies around these parts, and I appreciate the fact the Zums line is usually manageable. A separate queue would be the move, but we all know they're not going to bother with that. The ride is about the view, not so much the drop, and I don't think a phone strapped to my face playing a cheesy nonsensical VR story will come close to the view and the thrill from being up that high. Hopefully it won't last long and they put it back in The Mountain where it belongs.

Another thing that grinds my gears, and I know this is a stupid, petty enthusiast-esque gripe but the drop is not 10 seconds. This isn't new, they've been advertising that since the thing opened. But in fact it's actually half that.

At SFoG for Acrophobia (or arachnophobia if you will) everyone gets seated - then they come around with carts and ask if you want VR - if you do, they help you put the VR goggles on and adjust them.

Luckily, there usually isn't a terrible line for Acrophobia so the extended loading time wasn't to horrific.

I mean Lotte World's VR kind of made sense to me, when you are surrounded by high rise apartments and then one of the worlds tallest buildings & observation decks opens literally next door, the view is kind of lost but I always felt the giant towers like DoD or Zum the climb to the top and the view of how high you were is what sold it.

The line still won't be that long because most people are too damn lazy to walk all the way over there for the ride to begin with.

I love Zumanjaro, the view is absolutely amazing and I haven't experienced a virtual reality ride that I've enjoyed so far. The one at fun spot was the best one and even that I could have done without. I might give it a shot just to see how it is on a drop tower but meh. I'm ready for this fad to go away.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. My only experience with VR is New Revolution at Magic Mountain, but that was during WCB ERT, so I really can't say anything accurate about lines. I'm leaning toward wanting to try this, but it's causing me to wonder how the lines will be. I'll definitely be watching this thread the next few months to see how this all plays out.

Count me in as another person who really hopes this VR is not mandatory, as I hate spiders, and certainly don't want to ride this with the VR when I go in July! Zum is one of the few things I haven't done at GAdv yet, and I was looking forward to riding it as it was meant to be!

Pardon me as I haven't been on a VR attraction yet, but are there attractions in which it is mandatory? I imagine I would just remove the goggles from my eyes during the ride if a ride op told me I had to wear them.