TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Hey guys, thinking about going down on Monday next week however IDK if I can fit on El Toro. Im 5'10" and 250 pounds, I know I can fit on everything else since last time I went I was 260 and was able to ride everything (but it was cutting it close) but during that visit El Toro was closed and even if it was open I knew at 260 there was no way. If it is of any help I can fit relatively easily on Superman at SFNE (I think I had around a inch to a inch and a half of slack).

Hey guys, thinking about going down on Monday next week however IDK if I can fit on El Toro. Im 5'10" and 250 pounds, I know I can fit on everything else since last time I went I was 260 and was able to ride everything (but it was cutting it close) but during that visit El Toro was closed and even if it was open I knew at 260 there was no way. If it is of any help I can fit relatively easily on Superman at SFNE (I think I had around a inch to a inch and a half of slack).

Come by the ride and if we have to, we'll staple you in lol It's always worth the shot.

I am 5'11 and currently 270. SFNE is my home park and if you fit on Superman you should be fine on El Toro. The restraints are pretty similar. Last year on my trips to Jersey I was 280-285 and still fit on everything no problem, even Toro. Yes they may have to staple you in, but like the other guys have said, its better than not riding, and El Toro is worth it. It is definitely about how your weight is distributed but like I said, if you fit on Superman a SFNE you should be good to to on El Toro. Ole!

No bins in the station is the only reason why Nitro has decent capacity. It's good in theory, but in practice it almost always hurts capacity.

I can agree with this. Bins kill capacity, when Magnum had the bins taken away in 2014 the actual hourly numbers raised by 300-400 riders per hour.

They can adopt a better bin system. The delay is because people have to squeeze by their seats, place their items, come back, squeeze again.

If there was a way to place items in the bin before boarding, and have it outside the exit after leaving the ride, there would be zero delay.

Hell, a bin on the ride that allows space for glasses, cells, and keys, and is locked along with the restraints would work even better.

But that would be a cost for Six Flags. And heavens forbid incurring a cost.

Went on Wednesday with two friends who have never been to any 6 flags

Batman was a 5 minute wait

Nitro was 5 minutes

Skylift was about 10-15 minutes

We ate at the place right next to the Cantina. I grabbed a steak bowl and it was one of the worst things I have ever eaten. I think I got food poisoning from it because my stomach has been killing me all day

Superman was closed

Green Lantern was a 15 minute wait

Ka was 15 minute wait for 1st row

Bizzaro was about 5 minutes

Safari was about a 20 minute wait and was awesome. First time for me

We finished off with El Toro which was about 5 minutes

Won a Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong in the games, the big variety

Solid day

No bins in the station is the only reason why Nitro has decent capacity. It's good in theory, but in practice it almost always hurts capacity.

I can agree with this. Bins kill capacity, when Magnum had the bins taken away in 2014 the actual hourly numbers raised by 300-400 riders per hour.

They can adopt a better bin system. The delay is because people have to squeeze by their seats, place their items, come back, squeeze again.

If there was a way to place items in the bin before boarding, and have it outside the exit after leaving the ride, there would be zero delay.

Hell, a bin on the ride that allows space for glasses, cells, and keys, and is locked along with the restraints would work even better.

But that would be a cost for Six Flags. And heavens forbid incurring a cost.

The issue with having pouches on the ride itself is that people can take their cell phones out once they leave the station. Then we are back to the same original issue with people taking their cell phones out mid ride. Additionally they would slow down operations as well since the attendants would have to check people's restraints and that the pouches are closed.

And you might want to invent a teleportation system for that other idea of yours. lol

Except that Disney and Universal both have pouches on their rides and don't seem to have a problem.

And I can solve the other problem without any costly matter-to-energy converters: Just have cubbies with no back, accessible from either side, in between the entrance and exit paths. Spinning Dragons at Worlds of Fun does this, and it's super simple and effective.

Except that Disney and Universal both have pouches on their rides and don't seem to have a problem.

And I can solve the other problem without any costly matter-to-energy converters: Just have cubbies with no back, accessible from either side, in between the entrance and exit paths. Spinning Dragons at Worlds of Fun does this, and it's super simple and effective.

Universal has metal detectors at their entrances for their coasters.

You have to realize that the rides at Disney are much less intense than the ones at GADV or your typical theme park. lol You also have to keep in mind the huge difference in guests who go to either park. The crowd at Disney is better behaved, there are a lot of families on vacations or etc. Most of the guests who go to GADV are inner city people from NYC or Philly who love to cause problems. Of all the parks I have been to, GADV easily takes the cake for the worst behaved guests I've seen. The amount of people who think they're thugs and gangsters is ridiculous. If we had cubbies like those, then prepare to have all of your values stolen. Trust me, you are much better off with a locker at our park.

I'll let you in on a little-known secret: There are other Universal parks that aren't in Orlando. Ssh, don't tell.

You have to realize that the rides at Disney are much less intense than the ones at GADV or your typical theme park. lol You also have to keep in mind the huge difference in guests who go to either park.

Really? Is it that much different than DFW?

SFOT has pouches on several of their rides, including both Titan and NTAG.

SFOT has quite a few guests of the sort you've described, and they've made it work. And on intense rides too.

If we had cubbies like those, then prepare to have all of your values stolen.

Oh sh*t, that is gangsta. Leave your bag in a cubby, BAM. Sense of justice, gone, just like that. See you, desire to improve the world around me. Nice knowing you, kindness to strangers. Damn, Great Adventure is a rough place.

I'll let you in on a little-known secret: There are other Universal parks that aren't in Orlando. Ssh, don't tell.

You have to realize that the rides at Disney are much less intense than the ones at GADV or your typical theme park. lol You also have to keep in mind the huge difference in guests who go to either park.

Really? Is it that much different than DFW?

SFOT has pouches on several of their rides, including both Titan and NTAG.

SFOT has quite a few guests of the sort you've described, and they've made it work. And on intense rides too.

If we had cubbies like those, then prepare to have all of your values stolen.

Oh sh*t, that is gangsta. Leave your bag in a cubby, BAM. Sense of justice, gone, just like that. See you, desire to improve the world around me. Nice knowing you, kindness to strangers. Damn, Great Adventure is a rough place.

If you've actually read this thread at all numerous people have said that pouches and cubbies don't prevent people from taking cell phones out on rides. That's why Universal Orlando(yes I know they have other parks but clearly pouches don't work here cause they have metal detectors) has metal detectors and that's why great adventure is trying this out.

The same people who told me before the metal detectors came in that they were going in swore up and down it had nothing to do with cell phones and everything to do with stuff like knives. I get that there's a lot of disinformation - I can't even name the person who told me what I know as hearsay! - but not once do I think Universal has stated that the metal detectors were brought in because of cell phones on coasters.

I don't know why parks are not implementing what Merlin has been doing lately. In Alton Towers latest coasters (Smiler, Thirteen...), when you are towards the end of the line you pass through an "office" where they give you a wristband with a number, and they store your stuff. When you finish riding, you just give them the wristband and that's all.

If you've actually read this thread at all numerous people have said that pouches and cubbies don't prevent people from taking cell phones out on rides. That's why Universal Orlando(yes I know they have other parks but clearly pouches don't work here cause they have metal detectors) has metal detectors and that's why great adventure is trying this out.

Not a pouch, but a box that locks at the same time the restraints are put down. It would have to be part of the car design, not an easy retrofit.

Not a pouch, but a box that locks at the same time the restraints are put down. It would have to be part of the car design, not an easy retrofit.

There would still be no guarantee of people actually putting all of their stuff in there.

So my friend is planning a trip for us to go to to Great Adventure the weekend of May 5th, driving up Friday morning and spending the rest of the day in the park and the spending Saturday there too. It would be the first time for both of us. Is that a totally crazy idea? Are lines going to be absurd?

So my friend is planning a trip for us to go to to Great Adventure the weekend of May 5th, driving up Friday morning and spending the rest of the day in the park and the spending Saturday there too. It would be the first time for both of us. Is that a totally crazy idea? Are lines going to be absurd?

You should be able to hit up the entire park in just one day if the lines aren't too bad. They usually aren't absurd around this time of year but if the weather is nice, expect to wait 45 minutes to an hour for some of the bigger rides. Since you guys are spending almost 2 days at the park, I highly recommend checking out the Safari! It's an awesome experience and I'm sure you would love it.