TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed this thread but the last concert I went to was last year Kanye West on his Saint Pablo Tour. Say what you want about the man but his live show was insane, the "floating stage" was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. We were planning to try and catch a second date before he went crazy and cancelled the second leg, but I'll gladly pay money to see this man perform live again sometime. Here are some crappy iphone photos, it's weird the whole set up looks smaller in the pictures than it felt live.

yeezy3.JPG.e8a3e30645d097e0a4ff1e49877bf31a.JPG

yeezy2.JPG.fdbf098aab5e528f2a5e756742edfe2d.JPG

yeezy_com.JPG.2fc18650c85be5716c41f09b535acd88.JPG

yeezy4.JPG.e42643af041496ebe0485571cf20a0a6.JPG

Fleshgod Apocalypse on the 24th of January.

I bought tickets for this show kind of last minute as I wanted a to go to a show since I was in the middle of a 4 months gig drought. They absolutely blew me away more than I was expecting. We got a slightly shorter set than the rest of the tour dates due to the drummer receiving a back injury. This show also ended up turning into the last show of the tour as the band cancelled the rest of the tour the next day.

16251971_10158225984520531_286931899357520484_o.jpg?oh=5e7966c023eaeca7e8845a95d3eb2417&oe=592FDE29

Tesla on Saturday night. It was the final night of the tour and my first time seeing them, after I'd been trying to track them down for at least a couple years. They often tour with Def Leppard, but I'd been wanting to see them headline in a smaller venue, and I finally got my wish at a packed, sold-out show filled with enthusiastic fans. I'm actually not a huge fan of their music overall--I'm just devoted to and almost creepily obsessed with my favorite songs and, to a lesser extent, a handful of others.

The show was phenomenal! So many details I could comment on that made it an exciting and dynamic experience. The band is impressively professional--and not in a way that takes away from the fun or uniqueness of the live show. Disappointingly, they were unable to play "Paradise," one of my top favorites, because they bought a piano from Walmart and it was broken. Lots of people, like me, were unhappy about that, but with a band like Tesla a tease over a missing song can't put a damper on the night. There was at least one moment where my jaw hit the floor over Frank Hannon's slide playing, and I found myself both recognizing and singing along to more lyrics than I'd expected throughout the show.

Hard rock/metal band Love and War opened the show, and they were enjoyable as well.

Also, I got picks from Frank Hannon and Dave Rude!

Thee Oh Sees @ Thalia Hall (Chicago). Finally.

You sir...are a lucky man.

How was the show?

Show was great, and I saw them again the next night at Empty Bottle. I do regret missing out on seeing them prior to the lineup shuffle, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I saw a concert was Dinosaur Jr. in November. Negative Approach opened for them and played a set of all Easy Action songs. Dinosaur Jr. was absolutely incredible. They're just one of those bands where each member is insanely talented!

Tonight I'm seeing Nails, Full of Hell, Toxic Holocaust, Outer Heaven, and Gatecreeper!

My last big one was Overkill/Nile. Overkill was tight like always (and their light show caught me by surprise, that thing is WAY more intense than I remember), but Ron Lipnicki's absence was noted and there were a few glaring omissions from their setlist (how tf you not gonna play Wrecking Crew, guys). As for Nile, I was sold on their new lineup. I've never seen them that energetic and engaged and they seemed to be having a ton of fun, and Brad stepping up to the center of the stage and taking over most of Dallas' old vocal parts made a huge difference. Maybe losing Dallas (who, by all accounts, was burned out and having one hell of a midlife crisis) was what needed to happen, because they were never this good with him around.

The Nails show at Union Transfer was absolutely incredible, and possibly life-changing. The lineup was godly of course, but the crowd was the thing that made it so great. The mosh pit was absolutely wild. There was nonstop slam dancing, and the circle pit was brutal. The area near the front was insane as well, and by the end of it there was at least one person stage diving at all times. It was out of control, but great.

The bands themselves did a great job. Outer Heaven was really good, Gatecreeper put on a great show, Full of Hell probably put on the best and most passionate performance that night, Toxic Holocaust was where the pit started to get really good and they had a good stage presence, and Nails was loud, grimy, and they have the best songs in my opinion.

I picked up Gatecreeper's LP (their only studio album so far) on olive green, kind of granite-pattern vinyl and a Full of Hell 7" on clear vinyl with gold blobs in it. All the merch costed $20, which is a great deal when it comes to records these days.

Next up is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard this Thursday!

I chose to not go to the Boston date because I didn't want to deal with Nails' fans. I will only ever see them on death metal bills because they attract the worst kind of violent, hyper-macho crowdkilling douchebags on punk bills. I do like them a lot, but like Harms Way, Code Orange, Xibalba, and Young and in the Way (albeit not to quite the same extent with YaitW), they have one of the worst fanbases in music.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard was great! There were two opening acts. The first was Stonefield, and while I don't care for their studio material at all, their songs were actually really good live. On their albums they sound like a mainstream garage/hard rock band, but their sound is way more atmospheric and trippy live. Then Orb played, and even though they probably sound a little too much like Black Sabbath, they're really good, so that's what matters. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is definitely the best live band I've ever seen so far (even though I've only seen 10 in total as of now.) It used to be a toss-up between Dinosaur Jr. and Full of Hell. They played really well, extended their songs a lot of the time into long jams, and the most noticeable thing is that they are quite a bit heavier live. Their setlist was perfect. They started off playing almost all of the tracks from Flying Microtonal Banana, more than half of Nonagon Infinity, and even some tracks from I'm in Your Mind Fuzz. In the middle of the set they played "The River" from their album Quarters, which I usually don't care for, but was important to the setlist to have a nice and chill song, and it was great. They also finished with a jam/medley of a bunch of tracks. The mosh pit was surprising, and in some ways it was more chaotic and exhausting than the show I saw last week. It was an amazing night, and I really think KG&tLW might be one of the best and most entertaining bands of this generation.

• 2 weeks later...
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Metro (Chicago) last night.

I was trying to go last minute but it was sold out. Weh.

Trentemoller in New York @ Irving Plaza a few weeks ago. tom and his computer opened. Really great show.

NE-HI @ Empty Bottle. With Double Door closed, this is the best venue in Chicago IMO.

Haywyer @ Concord (Chicago) was a surprisingly good show. Didn't know much about the guy, just wanted to go see a DJ and he gracefully marries DJing with his superb piano skills.

DRAM came through for the first time since 2015. He's gotten huge since then and of course put on a great show. His smile is infectious. Of course Chance made an appearance.

I'm very very very very very very excited for deadmau5's tour to stop in Chicago on May 4/5. Can't wait to see the new cube so of course I got tickets for both shows.

The music scene in Chicago is bursting at the seams and I totally blame it for stealing my attention at theme parks. Can't wait for festival season.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Metro (Chicago) last night.

I was trying to go last minute but it was sold out. Weh.

Ah, bummer- I had a spare last-minute ticket, too. It was a great show. I bet they'll be coming around here again sometime this year, because they're dropping another album in June (and supposedly 3 more on top of that in 2017). It was my first time at The Metro, which is a neat little venue.

So I caught the Boston date of the Decibel Magazine tour and it was lit.

Horrendous: Aside from Matt's guitar strap coming undone, they were free of the technical issues that plagued them the last time I saw them and put on a tight, energetic, and fun performance.

Midnight: A fist-pumping good time. This was music for beer drinkers and hell-raisers and people were just lapping it up. They're the definition of a "fun" band.

Obituary: Band of the night. The Florida rednecks blew the roof off the place with a selection of cuts that mostly revolved around the new album, Slowly We Rot, and Cause of Death, and I'm amazed by how good John Tardy still sounds after all these years.

Kreator: Yeah, okay, so some more older material WOULD have been cool (where the hell was Ripping Corpse, Riot of Violence, Blind Faith, or Terror Zone?), but they brought it and also managed to really sell their modern material live (though Gods of Violence is honestly their best since Coma of Souls). They've still got it.

• 3 weeks later...
5/4 - deadmau5 at Aragon Ballroom.

Same, and going again tonight, haha. Cube 2.0 is beyond words..

Ed, we're 0-2. So close.

Indeed. This was my first time at an EDM show (prepping for Electric Forest, though), and it was quite the sight to behold. The Aragon felt like an entirely different venue. Have fun tonight- I'm sure we'll run into each other eventually.

Just came back from watching Chris Thompson and Mads Eriksen Band play their annual gig at Madam Felle. As always I had a blast, when they get the classic rolling towards the end (Blinded by the Light, Mighty Quinn, You're the Voice, etc...) the atmosphere goes through the roof!

20170506_231403.thumb.jpg.933fcc8f3685b4002f90d21d20cb0d1e.jpg

As always there was also a guest artist. This year it was Nick van Eeede playing a couple of songs halfway through the concert, and he definitely raised the roof when playing "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight".

20170507_000443.thumb.jpg.77c126fdfe98ce1e690165ac3c371733.jpg

Overall a great evening!