TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

I do think the Cubs will be around again next year, depending how they handle free agency. I believe Arrieta and Chapman are the only two that are going to hit the market. You will have a world series team potentially returning their entire starting lineup along with 4 of 5 of their starts, all 5 if Arrieta resigns.

Here's a link to a listing of the 2016 Cubs contracts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/186IV6_jKrs2mIUHX3gKnBoL8M65dvzQbdmGi9DwAC8I/pubhtml. It's a Google Docs Spreadsheet from https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/chicago-cubs/

I can't agree with this more. The team has 6 starters under the age of 24, that's just ridiculous. I'm a Mets fan, and I sure believe that the Cubs learned a lot following last years NLCS.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chapman getting big money from the Yankees. Largest reliever contract in the history of baseball, 5 years 86 million. No trade clauses include not being traded in the first 3 years and not being traded to a team from California. The Yankees had to make some type of move, considering the big move the Red Sox pulled off. I have never liked the Yankees, but will continue to cheer for Chapman. Being a Reds fan, he was the most exciting player to watch pitch. Seeing the crowd react to every pitch he threw is something I have never seen in a baseball game. I remember watching games and visiting teams turning off the speed gun to attempt to quiet the reaction of the crowd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay...how about not catering to people who love to complain that they aren't being entertained every second of the day? "OMG, you guys, I was bored for like nearly a minute and I thought I would die. My entertainment time is valuable, people. Chop, chop. I have to be entertained in a different way next." Panem et circenses, and too much of both.

I don't mind that rule change...it doesn't really make a difference either way.

I had a lot more problems with all the changes for player safety at home plate and sliding into 2nd base that had a real impact on how the game is played.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently the Mets let Tim Tebow play against real, honest to god major league baseball players with actual talent today for some reason and he struck out twice (once looking on 4 consecutive fastballs), hit into a double play with the bases loaded and was drilled with a pitch but immediately made a huge baserunning mistake and didn't freeze on a line drive and was easily doubled off.

Sucks to suck. I can't wait to see how long the Mets let this stupid PR stunt go on for.

Looks like it will be a rebuilding year in Detroit, at least when it comes to the bullpen. I haven't seen any ST games, but from what I've read on Twitter, some bullpen arms have been serving up meatballs. Their exhibition record is 3-9 (with six straight losses)

So apparently the Mets let Tim Tebow play against real, honest to god major league baseball players with actual talent today for some reason and he struck out twice (once looking on 4 consecutive fastballs), hit into a double play with the bases loaded and was drilled with a pitch but immediately made a huge baserunning mistake and didn't freeze on a line drive and was easily doubled off.

Sucks to suck. I can't wait to see how long the Mets let this stupid PR stunt go on for.

They needed him to play because the team has one of the largest contingents of players participating in the WBC (10, IIRC)

That being said, I agree that it's a stupid stunt, and I hate that my team, when finally getting better on the field, resorted to such a parlor trick.

• 3 weeks later...

In 3 more days I'll be seeing my first baseball game of the year, an exhibition between the Springfield Cardinals and St. Louis Cardinals at Hammons Field. St. Louis rotates between Springfield (AA) and Memphis (AAA) for their final game of spring training and this is our year! Looking forward to seeing Molina in person again. Hoping he gets that contract extension and we get to see him play a bit longer.

2017 predictions:

NL: Mets, Cubs, Giants, Nationals(WC), Dodgers(WC)

AL: Red Sox, Indians, Astros, Blue Jays(WC), Rangers(WC)

Playoffs:

Mets over Cubs

Indians over Astros

World Series:

Mets over Indians

2017 predictions:

NL: Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Braves (WC), Giants (WC)

AL: Red Sox, Indians, Rangers, Astros (WC), Orioles (WC)

World Series:

Red Sox over Cubs (admit that I am totally biased)

AL MVP- Manny Machado

NL MVP- Anthony Rizzo

AL Cy Young- Chris Sale

NL Cy Young- Clayton Kershaw