TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Hello everyone.

Relative newcomer to Busch Gardens Tampa. Got passes in October and absolutely love the place.

I have family in town next week and have plans to go to the park on Monday the 19th and Friday the 23rd. For you experienced BGT-ers, what kind of crowds can we expect? I think I've been 9 times since mid-October and have yet to fight any sort of a crowd; however, with this coming week falling into the holiday season, I am anticipating more traffic in the park, particularly on Friday.

Would I be correct in assuming Friday will be pretty busy? What should I expect for Monday?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

I will be at the park on January 1st. How crowded will the park be on this day? The quick queue prices are a bit high on this day for everyone in my party to purchase one.

Thanks!

I would expect it to be very busy. They change the prices of things such as quick queue so they are more expensive on days they are expecting to be super busy.

Went to BGT today for the first time in several years. Wow! This park needs to work on its infrastructure. It definitely cannot handle crowds the size that they endure during "Peak Week". We went ahead and got basic Quick Queue and it's a good thing we did otherwise we'd still be standing in line for Cheetah Hunt (which is an amazing coaster BTW).

I know it's been awhile since I've been to BGT, but I could have sworn the quality gap wasn't as big between it and BGW as it seems to be now. Also, was underwhelmed with Cobra's Curse. Much shorter in real life than I guess I was expecting (and yes I've seen the POV). Montu was kick ass though. Back to my favorite inverted.

BGT's problem not with infrastructure, it is slow ride ops. The park is massive and the rides are mostly high capacity thus theoretically handling big crowds really well. However sadly ops have always been hit or miss with mostly being miss. You just happened to go on one of the busiest days of the year which is going to be miserable at most any park. There is definitely a talent gap when it comes to operations in Florida: Disney and Universal have very fast operations and Sea World/Busch Gardens have always been slow to mediocre.

Edited by xstech25

You just happened to go on one of the busiest days of the year which is going to be miserable at most any park.

This. On most days you'll never wait more than 30 minutes for the B&M's or 60 minutes for Cheetah Hunt. Honestly most days are even less busy than that. We went on a packed Howl O Scream Saturday and Saturday night last year and had no issues, I think you just picked a terrible day to go.

Went to BGT today for the first time in several years. Wow! This park needs to work on its infrastructure. It definitely cannot handle crowds the size that they endure during "Peak Week". We went ahead and got basic Quick Queue and it's a good thing we did otherwise we'd still be standing in line for Cheetah Hunt (which is an amazing coaster BTW).

I know it's been awhile since I've been to BGT, but I could have sworn the quality gap wasn't as big between it and BGW as it seems to be now. Also, was underwhelmed with Cobra's Curse. Much shorter in real life than I guess I was expecting (and yes I've seen the POV). Montu was kick A$$ though. Back to my favorite inverted.

I love Cobra's Curse, its something the park really needed and the theming is very good.

I really enjoyed it too. It adds a lot to the Egypt area that desperately needed something more than Montu to feel like an independent section of the park. I really like the theming, views from the ride, and the ride experience in general. The spinning part was awesome and anything but nauseating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I'm so glad to have found this page, as I'm planning our first trip to BGT, and I'm a compulsive Type-A planner when it comes to park visits. Here's the background on our visit - it will be me and my two sons, ages 10 and 13. We are huge roller coaster fans, but not solely roller coaster fans. We HATE waiting in lines! We will be at BGT Monday, February 20 (President's Day) and Tuesday, February 21.

Questions . . .

1. What can you tell me about "rope drop" at BGT? We are early park goers and like to be there right at opening. If the park is scheduled to open at 10am, will it open right at 10am, or does it sometimes open earlier than the posted opening time? What time would you recommend getting to the park for a 10am opening (to allow time to get through security, etc.)?

2. Do all rides/areas of the park open right at 10am, or is there a staggered opening like at BGW?

3. We are definitely planning to do Quick Queue Unlimited - would you recommend that we splurge to get the QQU plus Cobra's Curse? I think it's usually $20 more, although the prices aren't out yet for our dates. I assume that if we go right at park opening, we can get on CC fairly quickly. Will we want to ride CC more than once a day?

4. Where are your favorite places to eat in the park?

5. What are your favorite rides other than the big coasters?

6. How wet do you get on the water rides at BGT? Do they usually adjust the water flow based on the weather? Since we are going in February, I'm guessing the weather may be iffy, but we generally love a water ride as long as we don't get soaked when it's cold.

7. What are your favorite shows or other non-ride attractions?

8. Finally, any guesses as to how busy the park will be on President's Day and that Tuesday?

9. Wait, one last one - and this is just out of curiosity more than anything - I read through a lot of the older posts on this board and saw a couple of mentions of a "medicated rabbit." What the heck is that??

Thanks so much for any input!

So it has been announced that Donnie Mills, the park President of the Orlando SEA parks is retiring, and Jim Dean, the President of the Tampa SEA parks will replace him and Stewart Clark, who was the Vice President of Discovery cove will replace Jim Dean in Tampa.

This is an interesting move, as Jim Dean has been fairly successful as Busch Gardens never really felt the effects of Blackfish and Adventure Island recently had its best summer in history. However, he is known to be less animal focused. Stewart Clark, is very likable and is said to value the animal side of the parks highly, as can be expected from his time at Discovery Cove.

It will be interesting to see what direction the parks move in under this new leadership.

Hello all! I'm so glad to have found this page, as I'm planning our first trip to BGT, and I'm a compulsive Type-A planner when it comes to park visits. Here's the background on our visit - it will be me and my two sons, ages 10 and 13. We are huge roller coaster fans, but not solely roller coaster fans. We HATE waiting in lines! We will be at BGT Monday, February 20 (President's Day) and Tuesday, February 21.

Questions . . .

1. What can you tell me about "rope drop" at BGT? We are early park goers and like to be there right at opening. If the park is scheduled to open at 10am, will it open right at 10am, or does it sometimes open earlier than the posted opening time? What time would you recommend getting to the park for a 10am opening (to allow time to get through security, etc.)?

2. Do all rides/areas of the park open right at 10am, or is there a staggered opening like at BGW?

3. We are definitely planning to do Quick Queue Unlimited - would you recommend that we splurge to get the QQU plus Cobra's Curse? I think it's usually $20 more, although the prices aren't out yet for our dates. I assume that if we go right at park opening, we can get on CC fairly quickly. Will we want to ride CC more than once a day?

6. How wet do you get on the water rides at BGT? Do they usually adjust the water flow based on the weather? Since we are going in February, I'm guessing the weather may be iffy, but we generally love a water ride as long as we don't get soaked when it's cold.

8. Finally, any guesses as to how busy the park will be on President's Day and that Tuesday?

9. Wait, one last one - and this is just out of curiosity more than anything - I read through a lot of the older posts on this board and saw a couple of mentions of a "medicated rabbit." What the heck is that??

I'll try to come back and answer some of what I can later (other than Cobra's Curse, while a fun family coaster, was 1 and done for us.. but took some trying to get on it)

instead, I'll just link to my Trip Report from last Summer, that included BGT for 3 days, SeaWorld Orlando, and some other stops in the area:

lots of pics, and some suggestions on where to eat.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72163

Questions . . .

I can answer a few.

2. Unless things have changed, there is a staggered opening, with rides further back in the park opening later than those areas in the front. Someone else should answer this more thoroughly, I just know the answer is yes.

4. Pantopia has a lot of variety and the food isn't too bad. The BBQ by Skeikra is pretty good. Of course, gotta try Twisted Tails pretzels for a snack! I haven't been to the park since the restaurant opened, so someone who has been could speak to that.

5. I love the water rides (see below) and of course.... Falcon's Fury!!! The summer campers (kids about your age) LOVED Phoenix (swinging ship) but I wasn't a fan. However, it was conveniently placed so that adults could sit out and still be there to pick up kids at the exit.

6. I have no idea about adjusted flow, but I can speak from summer experience. Log flume... not too wet. Congo rapids... can get VERY VERY wet!! It is kind of a crap-shoot because you might ride and not get wet (not my experience, but observed). However, I got utterly SOAKED whenever I rode it, so if you don't want that, I'd highly recommend purchasing a poncho and taking every precaution you can!

7. I liked all the shows! Some people hated it but I loved Iceploration (very cheesy but cool) and Opening Night Critters!

9. It is a word filter to represent the thing you put your items in while you are on rides ("1ockers") so if you ever type that word, it will post as "fluffy fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo."

Don't forget to do all of the animal stuff you can, especially watch the cheetah run presentation! Feeding the birds and kangaroos is awesome, but if you go later in the day, they may not be as hungry.

Have fun, and welcome to the board!

^ I'd agree with pretty much all of this.

Aside from the coasters, Falcon's Fury is amazing, I love Stanley Falls but of course I do and I also love the Sky Ride but of course I do. Stanley Falls has a very acceptable and consistent level of wetness as it has no spray guns. Congo Rapids will try to drown you. The Sky Ride and the train are both must-rides because they give you great views of the animals. Take the train from Nairobi to the Congo for the best view of the animals.

As far as food, I just want to stress exactly what RAWKIN_coaster said. Zambia Smokehouse and Twisted Tails are the best things to eat on the park. Absolutely, 100%, without question eat at these 2 places.

Also, I know you didn't ask but I have 2 important tips.

1) Ride Kumba in the back row in the far seat (closest to the unload platform). The zero g roll is perfection. Seriously...

2) Ride Montu in the back. It will try to rip your face off but in a very smooth and awesome way.

As far as shows, I love Opening Night Critters. I think Iceploration sucks balls but a lot of people like it so don't take my word for it. The best show / presentation in the park is the Cheetah presentation. God I love Cheetahs.

• 2 weeks later...
^Yes montu back seat in general, BUT far left seat if you want some true rip your face off action.. Hopefully someone else can attest to this.

Yes! The drop in the seat is awesome.

Montu has the most powerful batwing if you ride in the back.

I still don't get why people say that the back row of Montu is OMFG intense. I find it quite forceless, but maybe the insane intensity makes my body numb so I don't feel the intensity. Back row Montu is still very fun, but just not intense.

Now, on the other hand, Kumba is different

I only rode Kumba once and Montu twice (all in the magic seat) and thought they were both ridiculous. I need to ride Kumba more to actually take in each element as I had no idea what I was in for and didn't really process it. Montu, riding twice, I cold really appreciate and through the back left was absurd. Post mid-course, it was okay.... but up through the batwing it might be my favorite B&M and definitely my favorite invert.

Your experience on Montu almost inevitably hinges on the mid-course. If the train is light enough it won't grab you too hard and the second half is still pretty decent. Why I prefer Kumba is that the braking makes absolutely no difference. It always grabs you at least a little but you still fly through the second half no matter what.