TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

The newer trains were fine for a while but something needed to be done about the ride. My last rides the past few summers were downright awful. No headbanging obviously with the newer restraints, but the forces somehow gave me a headache bad enough I needed to drown myself in Advil, coffee and beer.

As long as a ride doesn't bash my head usually I can avoid discomfort. I was able to ride T3 3-4 times in a row without an issue.

I needed to drown myself in Advil, coffee, and beer.

Now that's starting to sound like a party!

Seriously. Ask Bill, he was there. I had an almost debilitating migraine after that one Nor'easter ride, and only some iced coffee from Dunkin, some Advil from a boardwalk junk shop, and then more beer was what got me out of that funk!

Okay, so over on the 40 Things thread I see that Zoom Phloom is being hailed as the greatest water ride in a dry park. In my research, I had skipped over it, since it looks like your standard fair log flume. Honestly I had wanted to go here mostly because I wanted to go to the Atlantic Ocean and I hear that's oddly difficult to accomplish in New Jersey everywhere but Morey's.

Now, however, on hearing from certain log flume enthusiasts that this is the best, I'm intrigued. What makes Zoom Phloom so much better than the others?

Okay, so over on the 40 Things thread I see that Zoom Phloom is being hailed as the greatest water ride in a dry park. In my research, I had skipped over it, since it looks like your standard fair log flume. Honestly I had wanted to go here mostly because I wanted to go to the Atlantic Ocean and I hear that's oddly difficult to accomplish in New Jersey everywhere but Morey's.

Now, however, on hearing from certain log flume enthusiasts that this is the best, I'm intrigued. What makes Zoom Phloom so much better than the others?

The implied sexual content under the boardwalk as well as a super unique layout.

Also, if you want to visit the Atlantic ocean to go to the beach and go swimming, don't go to New Jersey. Go to Delaware, the Carolinas or Florida. That being said if you have to go to the beach in New Jersey (or if you just want to pair it with great rides) then Wildwood is the best by far and it's free (as all beaches should be).

The implied sexual content under the boardwalk

Ok, now I must ride this.

Let me back up a bit. I want to go to Knoebels. The entire trip is planned around going to Knoebels. It probably sounds funny to you, but since I'm from the Midwest, I swear this is logical. I can't go so close to the Atlantic and pass up an opportunity to see it. I've also never been to a boardwalk, so that's the interest in Morey's. It's the intersection of several interests.

The beach in Wildwood is fine. Don't go in North Wildwood cause its small and packed. The crest (South Wildwood if you will) is the nicest part of the beach and as Bill said the entire beach is free. All of the other Jersey Shore beaches you have to buy beach tags - either seasonal or day passes. Wildwood's is completely free, and you can drink on it as long as you conceal it (its not legal but they don't enforce it as long as you're not acting like an a$$h*le). You can also walk right off of any of the piers right down to the beach. I get your whole 'never been to the Atlantic Ocean' thing, even though I've been going there my whole life and rarely even dip my toes in that disgusting body of water.

The flume is awesome because of a few things - two drops, the second a bit bigger than the first, its interaction with everything else on the pier around it, the fact that it goes all over the pier, its light 'themeing' is pretty good, and there's whole 'dark ride' part under the boardwalk, fake-out waterfalls, etc. If you're up for spoiling it for yourself just youtube a POV, there's a few of them.

Edited by boldikus

Thanks! I actually have been the Atlantic once before, on Cape Cod in 2004. That was really nice. I'm sure New Jersey is not nearly so, but I'm using Philadelphia as a home base for this trip, so it's just right there.

Beach tags? Is New Jersey actually run by the mafia for real?

Beach tags? Is New Jersey actually run by the mafia for real?

That's the best explanation I could come up with. Yeah... beach tags. They charge you to stand on the beach and come over and annoy you when you're trying to relax and make you show them the tag. It's ridiculous.

And the Atlantic Ocean is very nice, Boldikus just doesn't think so since he goes to the Jersey Shore

*in all seriousness we swam in Wildwood and thought it was fine. I'm just being a smart ass.

Amid all this WW beach talk I'm not sure if any of us mentioned how LARGE the beach is. If you're not aware, prepare yourself for a little hike if you want to actually, like... go into the water. Its not bad at all in N. Wildwood (half the reason everyone goes there) but the Crest and in central WW (where the piers/most the action is) its a quarter mile+ trek from the actual boardwalk to the water. So its not as bad if you walk off the end of the piers, but just a heads up if you are trying to actually go in the ocean lol.

This is an older but good little article that talks a bit about it, and the town itself.

The Wildwoods boast three of the only five beaches in New Jersey that don't require people to buy beach badges to get onto the sand and into the water. Maybe it's because they have to work so hard to get to the surf.

The beaches here are a half-mile from the boardwalk in many spots, kicking sand in the faces of most other New Jersey beaches. Due to the prevailing ocean currents and the natural topography of the coastline, sand that washes away from other beaches piles up here.

In fact, the walk to the water is so far that Wildwood once seriously entertained a proposal to let a vendor offer camel rides to and from the surf before deciding against it.

That's a good article, thanks! I'm not afraid of walking; talk to my wife about the Navy Pier Death March.

We went up to Chicago in 2009 to see U2's 360 tour at Soldier Field. My wife had never been to Chicago before, so I wanted to take her to see some of the essential things, so we took the subway to Navy Pier. Now, she was 9 months pregnant with our son at the time, and I was also a dumbass. I didn't pay close enough attention to the bus routes when I looked at the map, because this was before smartphones and maps were still printed on paper*.

*Yeah, yeah, I know the iPhone was invented in 2006, but I live in the Ozarks, and none of us had them newfangled talky machines yet.

So I headed down Grand St., figuring we would find a bus stop and catch a bus going east. I never figured out, despite all evidence, that Grand is a one-way street going west. Nope, we just kept plodding along, going against traffic, stopping every half-block so she could rest, with me encouraging her that "there's gotta be a bus stop soon."

Four blocks down, with no buses in sight, I thought maybe there aren't any buses going to one of the city's biggest tourist attractions. Yeah, that's way more plausible than the second largest city in the U.S. having a one-way street. I then made the fateful suggestion I have never lived down since: "It's only eight blocks, we're halfway there, let's just continue."

Yeah, go look at Google Maps right now. Those first four blocks are roughly square, but the last four are very long. We were about a quarter mile into a walk of over one mile, and shall I reiterate for effect the small detail of my wife being nine months pregnant. The name "Navy Pier Death March" was coined during that last block, and it's a memory that still haunts me every single time I suggest walking anywhere, no matter the distance. There must now be assurances written in blood that the distance shall be as described.

So when we were planning a return trip to Chicago in 2014, this time with kids, I wanted to go back to Navy Pier and take them to the Children's Museum (which is a seriously cool place for kids). I think my wife still wasn't convinced that I had planned better and we were taking the bus, even after we had gotten on the bus that said "Navy Pier" above the windscreen. Showing her on my phone (hey, we got them newfangled talky things here now!) the Google Transit route we were taking didn't help. She wouldn't believe it until the bus dropped her off on the pier with zero intervening steps.

It's telling that now, 6 1/2 years after the Navy Pier Death March, it's still the first thing that pops in my head when someone mentions a long walk.

Bill Morey has died.

Passing of Bill Morey Sr. Cofounder of Morey’s Piers

MOREY, WILLIAM H, 87, of Wildwood, NJ, a renowned builder during the Jersey Shore Doowop motel boom years, owner/operator of the old Ringo bingo hall on the Wildwood boardwalks, and a cofounder of Morey's Surfside Pier, where millions of Delaware Valley youth for decades enjoyed their summers, went to be in the loving arms of the Lord, Wednesday, January 11, 2017. Bill was born at Margaret Mace Hospital in North Wildwood, NJ, on April 19, 1929, and raised in West Wildwood, NJ by his parents, Lewis and Clara Morey. The Morey family birth order was 5 sons: Lewis, Raymond, Wilbert, William, and Charles, and 2 daughters: Yvonne and Esther. He resided in the Wildwoods his entire life, graduated from Wildwood High School in 1948, and married Dolores Peterson Morey in 1951. He was an avid golfer, a member of the Wildwood Golf and Country Club, and scored a hole in one at the age of 80. Family members humorously called him "Commander Whitehead", and friends and colleagues coined the nickname for him, "Silver Fox." He is survived by his wife: Dolores, 2 sons: William and Thomas, twin daughters: Jane and Joan, and William's spouse: Carolyn. He also has 7 grandchildren: William "Bud", Eric, and Brett Morey, John and Sara Freeman, Drew and Jenna Ankney, 6 great-grandchildren: William "Buddy", Ellasyn, Delaney, Waylon, Joel, and Marshall Morey.

• 2 weeks later...

Morey's has finally announced opening day and looks like they've updated their calendar. As usual, the piers will open one by one. https://www.moreyspiers.com/events/calendar

Opening Day is Saturday April 8th, only Mariners will open and remain open weekends through May when Surfside gets in on the action on Saturday May 13th. Finally, Adventure Pier will also open Saturday May 20th. Raging Waters (on Mariners) will open Memorial Day Weekend and Ocean Oasis (Surfside) will finally open Saturday June 17th.

Note that Adventure and Surfside Piers begin full day, daily operation in mid June with only weekend/night hours until then.

edit: sorry for the doublepost.

Based on the last few updates I'd go ahead and say it'll be ready and running when Surfside opens for the season (see calendar posted above). New track is installed, supports are painted, new sign is likely done by now, I'm sure electrical stuff is being worked on. I can't imagine them having delays running into May or beyond.

I'm hoping to get down to visit my folks in the next few weekends, as I haven't been down since September and believe it or not I *LOVE* Wildwood in the dead of winter. I will certainly try to get down on the beach next to the pier to take a few photos.

• 1 month later...
I had to share these awesome aerial photos shot by F.R. Frankenfield that were posted over at Wildwood 365

Noice. Also, it looks like they've pretty much wrapped up their business with Nor'easter. As someone who's planning to visit Wildwood for the first time in over twenty years this spring and never got a chance to ride it, I'm eager to see if the track replacements will put an end to all of the horror stories I've heard.

^ I certainly do hope so. After riding T3 and Thunderhawk on the same trip last year, I got to experience the worst and the best of the SLC's. If you've never been to Michigan's Adventure you won't believe me but their SLC is actually really good. The SLC layout has a lot of potential, and as long as there's no shuffling, it's fun.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are planning on a Wildwood visit this summer, some great discounts coming up during their annual spring sale...

Online Orders Start March 24 Featuring

Deep Discounts on Season Passes and More...

Morey’s Piers & Beachfront Water Parks, named the best seaside amusement park in the world by Amusement Today, will launch its annual Spring Sale on March 24 offering savings up to 38% for a season of wild rides and water park admission.

Located on the boardwalk of the Wildwoods, NJ, the classic seaside attraction’s signature Wild Pass offers more unlimited summer fun for $330.

For the 2017 season, the Wild Pass includes one ride wristband per day valid for rides on all three piers, and new this year, all day access to both beachfront water parks - Ocean Oasis Water Park and Beach Club and Raging Waters Water Park. Spring sale savings represents $165 off the retail value of $495.

The following spring savings bundles are also available:

Wild Water Park 10 Pack: includes 10 individual all day water park passes for $280 (savings of $170).

Wild Ticket Card: features 70 ride tickets plus a booklet of valuable coupons such as discounts on water park admissions, games, extreme rides and more for $45.

Gift Cards: are available and can be applied towards any purchase at Morey’s Piers’ ticket booths, guest services, water park ticket office and/or retail stores. Instant delivery e-gifts are also available to send gift cards directly to the recipient’s email address.

Tram Car Ticket Book: includes 25 one-way rides on the tram for $40.

Online orders start on March 24 through April 21 and can be purchased by visiting http://www.moreyspiers.com.

Starting April 1, purchases can be made by phone at 1-866-MOREYS1 (phone lines open daily from 8:00am to 8:00pm), or in-person at Mariner’s Guest Services, located at Schellenger Avenue and the Boardwalk, Wildwood, daily from 11:00am to 4:00pm.

For more information on Morey’s Piers, visit http://www.moreyspiers.com.