SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P.102 - Electric Eel coaster announced for 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby Xcelerator4 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Now for the real question--Will it have Tempesto's dreaded "comfort collars" or will it have lapbars with shin guards like the rest of the clones? Either way I think it will be a great ride, so nice to see another high quality coaster come to the west coast. I'd love to see a dual station on this, since they went so far with Manta to have a full exit platform and 4 trains I definitely wouldn't hold it against them to maximize capacity with 3 car trains and a dual station. I've heard lines for Tempesto are near unbearable in the summer, and I really hope that doesn't happen here.
Living for Intamin.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby ragerunner2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

edgeboy wrote:Debate over. No surprise. It's a SkyRocketII. It's been officially announced.

My other questions is they mention 5 other rides coming... any news on what they are?

I believe the 5 rides for 2017 are the submarine ride, a wave swinger, a 3 kids rides.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm

coasterbill wrote:Excellent! These are fun rides and would be a welcome addition to almost any park.

THIS!!

I don't get why so many people are complaining about this new coaster. 1.) It's a new coaster, be happy. 2.) These coasters are a LOT of fun. They are very re-rideable, they are pretty intense, and the backwards launch is surprisingly powerful.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we would all have loved to see the park getting a 1,500ft tall, 300mph, spinning, inverted, Intamin Aquatrax, but that didn't happen. However, that doesn't change they fact that this is still a great coaster, and it's going to be a great addition to the park.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:02 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Excellent! These are fun rides and would be a welcome addition to almost any park.

THIS!!

I don't get why so many people are complaining about this new coaster. 1.) It's a new coaster, be happy. 2.) These coasters are a LOT of fun. They are very re-rideable, they are pretty intense, and the backwards launch is surprisingly powerful.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we would all have loved to see the park getting a 1,500ft tall, 300mph, spinning, inverted, Intamin Aquatrax, but that didn't happen. However, that doesn't change they fact that this is still a great coaster, and it's going to be a great addition to the park.

Meh, they're fine rides - Nothing amazing about them. I didn't feel any urge to ride Phobia more than once - And I skipped Superman on my visit to SFDK last month. I'm really not a fan of the uncomfortable, new-generation Premier trains. I think my legs are too long for them.

An SRII is still better than YOLOcoaster though.

I get why SWSD went with one though. 150 ft, 60 mph, an inversion, "triple-launch", tiny footprint, very marketable, and half the price of a full-sized coaster. That's a pretty easy choice for a park to make.

I think the real thing to look forward to is SeaWorld's huge new area that this will complete. They're essentially upgrading 25% of the park. A part that was pretty dead until now.
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mater » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:20 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:we would all have loved to see the park getting a 1,500ft tall, 300mph, spinning, inverted, Intamin Aquatrax

Zero of the words you just said sound cool/fun.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby MrSum1_55 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:37 pm

^^I would not really say that an SRII is better than YOLO. But I would say that an SRII is far less wasted potential than YOLO. (No coaster with brakes along its entire largest drop should exist)

But I do doubt that you can find any coaster that packs more thrills into a small space and budget than an SRII. (With the possible exception of the competing designs from other companies)

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Shut It Down » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I never thought it was possible for SWSD to build a coaster of this size so it's definitely a welcome addition. I've never ridden one of these but I'm excited to try it out. The main thing that this announcement gets me excited about is that we will probably see more coasters in the future at the SD location!!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Here is the official release:

TALLEST AND FASTEST ROLLER COASTER IN SEAWORLD SAN DIEGO HISTORY SET FOR 2018 LAUNCH

SAN DIEGO (Jan. 3, 2017) – SeaWorld® San Diego unveiled plans today for its 2018 attraction—the Electric Eel roller coaster—featuring multiple-launch elements, high-energy twists, and heart-pounding loops. It will expand the park’s new Ocean Explorer realm set to open later this summer as part of the park’s largest new attraction premiere in its history.
Following the unprecedented opening of three new major attractions in 2017—Ocean Explorer, the new Orca Encounter and the all-new summer nighttime extravaganza Electric Ocean—Electric Eel will cap a 24-month period of the most robust growth since the park’s opening more than five decades ago.

“Electric Eel will bring a whole new level of excitement to SeaWorld in 2018,” said SeaWorld San Diego’s Park President Marilyn Hannes. “This new, first-of-its-kind coaster at SeaWorld will give riders the rare opportunity to feel what it’s like to move like an eel as they twist and flip along nearly 900 feet of undulating track.”

Electric Eel will feature astounding loops, twists and airtime. Multiple-launch experiences will propel riders forward and backward as they speed through the ride’s station house accelerating to more than 60 miles per hour in seconds. Riders then rocket skyward nearly 150 feet where they will brave an inverted “heartline” roll and a twisting loop for an exciting feeling of airtime as riders crest the top before breathlessly returning to the station. This adrenaline-pumping coaster will offer riders the only upside-down view of Mission Bay.

SeaWorld continues to evolve the next generation of marine-life experiences, setting the standard for combining immersive and innovative ways to engage with ocean animals with flat-out family fun for children and adults.
“The future is bright at SeaWorld and we remain committed to long-term investment in the park,” said Hannes. “We always strive to provide new reasons to visit SeaWorld and give our guests experiences that matter with a blend of exciting rides and incredible animal and educational experiences. We want our guests from around the world to not only have a great time, but be inspired to care about the ocean and the animals that live there.”

Complementing the Electric Eel roller coaster is the anticipated Ocean Explorer experience opening in 2017—which will include a hypnotic live eel habitat featuring one of the world’s most extensive collections of moray eels. Through large viewing windows, visitors will plunge into the world of the eel as they swim and dart through the caves and crevasses of their naturalistic deep-ocean environment.

With Electric Eel, SeaWorld’s Deep Blue creative design team will fuse the visceral thrills of a contemporary coaster with a compelling interactive and educational eel experience. Using innovative state-of-the-art technologies, this interactive experience will allow guests to discover fascinating information about these mysterious animals, including their unique predation skills and diets, growth rates and sensory abilities.

Electric Eel will join Manta® and Journey to Atlantis® as the third coaster-type ride experience at SeaWorld San Diego. It will be constructed on an approximately two-acre site on the eastern side of the park between the currently under-construction Ocean Explorer attraction and Journey to Atlantis. The ride is expected to open in summer 2018.

Electric Eel Entry - high res.jpg
Concept Art
Electric Eel launch station - hi res.jpg
Launch Concept Art
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Hopefully it will get the 3 car train like Tempesto did. I've ridden Superman at SFDK and it's tons of fun. I think this was a good choice for SWSD given their budget and size restrictions.
Coaster Count: 171 Last Coaster: Xcelerator
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Apollo's Chariot 9) Storm Runner 10) Griffon

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 pm

I really like the name and look of the cpaster!

I don't mind that this layout is being cloned so frequently since it's a lot of fun and makes sense from a park's perspective in terms of space and cost.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Comet (Great Escape), Cyclone (Coney)
Top 5 Steel- Fury 325, Millennium Force, Twisted Colossus, Wicked Cyclone, Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!