TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SDC 2016 Trip Report(s)!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool report but I really want to just talk about xmas lights. I, too, am a big fan. How does SDC attach their lights to the signs in such a way that, for example in one of the last light pics, they go with the flow of the sign? Are they stapled on or something? They look nice and tight. What we really need are pictures of your xmas lights! Pleaseeeee?

Cool report but I really want to just talk about xmas lights. I, too, am a big fan. How does SDC attach their lights to the signs in such a way that, for example in one of the last light pics, they go with the flow of the sign? Are they stapled on or something? They look nice and tight. What we really need are pictures of your xmas lights! Pleaseeeee?

They are stapled in place. If you look closely at the photo of the kettle chips sign you can see the little silver staples holding them in place!!

Pictures of my lights?! . . . Maybe I'll start a thread in the random random random category for my light show!

They are stapled in place. If you look closely at the photo of the kettle chips sign you can see the little silver staples holding them in place!!

Pictures of my lights?! . . . Maybe I'll start a thread in the random random random category for my light show!

Yes, awesome!!

• 3 months later...

Last Trip Report Of The Season. . .

Well, last weekend we headed out to SDC for our last trip of the season. The last trip of the season is always the most depressing. All the trees are dead, it's cold, and there seems to be no sign of life in nature. This year's last trip of the season we extra depressing because of the miniature ice storm that rolled through the night before, causing extremely low temperatures, and high(ish) winds. While we were at the park the high was 14 degrees, so needless to say none of the rides opened, however I believe they did get Fire In The Hole, and Flooded Mine open after we left for the day. Regardless, we got a lot of Christmas shopping done, and got some fun photos of the park. The weather kept most people away, so as you will see the park was dead. . . Like, dead, dead.

Anyway, enjoy the photos from our last visit of the season!! There will be more trip reports once spring rolls back around!

Merry Christmas everyone!

1.jpg.455bcf3b72a9fdaba2e6f56cee1016d0.jpg

Well, we made it! Time for the last visit of the season. :(

2.jpg.64c4f67a54798d2d0f9c1ca7c2c2856b.jpg

Such a nice snow covered roof??

3.jpg.04fc70aad657462b107f3127a9b22e74.jpg

Can you find the roller coaster in this photo?

4.jpg.7ad3bf1ee3abd3945446a89eb036ac2e.jpg

Praise da lort!

5.jpg.325aa54d978568a4af631441837e4a41.jpg

Such a strange flat sided Christmas tree.

10.jpg.5ffd599063e7305e35e8b6e71ad8e673.jpg

So. Many. Lights.

11.jpg.268f7189da4da48cc38ad62d3bae2b6d.jpg

Have you found the roller coaster yet?

12.jpg.682c9df6220f4ace4cd0fd925aac6c26.jpg

Track for the all new B&M wooden, launched, flying coaster. Coming in 2017. You heard it first. Right here.

13.jpg.a657300256d2fc0da5c24bdc0d0cb888.jpg

Wildfire isn't feeling so wild today.

14.jpg.3aa60372876b696a312ae81be7fe97a7.jpg

No one is getting wet today.

15.jpg.626661aef650d78f6f4ce501ccd3228a.jpg

Nope, no one going down.

6.jpg.99f433d65433e8733de600f8e8cf4adc.jpg

The park is so empty, (You will notice this will be a theme in this trip report.)

7.jpg.5c7022cdc90fc3b075763f262fff567b.jpg

At SDC even the restaurant entrances are well themed.

8.jpg.0f924bf95c24f6062970ff50dd18636d.jpg

This photo really just feels like Christmas.

9.jpg.4b4eed54d410423c29d194f805a1ab7a.jpg

See?? No one else in the park!

16.jpg.7785d64667c4d12e288474eeb4c86725.jpg

Powderkeg is not doing any blasting today.

17.jpg.bde4c4b5dd940045d332cd57e461ef2d.jpg

Yeah, still no one in the park.

18.jpg.08cb88de8bbdee0a10b724917b67700e.jpg

THE ALL NEW: "Tom & Hucks Ice Blast!"

19.jpg.2491f537584ef11e23f3cf2109c25428.jpg

I see you Giant Barn Not Swinging.

20.jpg.c001a609fe86d442b4fa0c25235e23ba.jpg

The well has runneth dry.

21.jpg.23a975803e89b05ff5225bb40bff01b9.jpg

Lost River lost it's river.

22.jpg.5b619c7c27a83d00aacd3f7c476b3bc1.jpg

This is as close as we would be getting to Outlaw Run during our visit.

23.jpg.e58a1d64f725e80d4e39bdfefefe22b9.jpg

Don't worry, I'll ride you next season!! Such a mean piece of wood you are.

24.jpg.bd2063e7a3113960f2c32f60a06b6385.jpg

No falling on Firefall.

25.jpg.811c9065fe5fddd03e16e79720131228.jpg

*sighs* Maybe some day this will get reused.

26.jpg.aa89b63f893b9c61ac2ca349230362ce.jpg

#Snow

27.jpg.dcba3813d63526c053efd0dafdeefe64.jpg

#MoreSnow

28.jpg.0e0ead192598b953e97fdc2632037b4b.jpg

The waterless marble.

29.jpg.d438247c7b23d93ed3e369abc21e762b.jpg

Still no one. . .

30.jpg.ea8cfce57096c8eae90aa37c5e5b50b5.jpg

Hello?? Is anyone home?

31.jpg.8c85002278309edf14a38c64ef0ab328.jpg

*GASP* All new, never before seen snow covered footers, only at SDC, and only on TPR!

32.jpg.d78550fa5fe8bd36a713aad97066389a.jpg

No construction site tours will be given today.

33.jpg.a342f12e9a9aad52743af192e6cc6538.jpg

No firemen needed today.

34.jpg.3e17bc2ac3c872dd58a1c86f92c5eb78.jpg

Time to buy some crack, and head home.

35.jpg.c84950e85f1d5229c60c9997889d8624.jpg

Goodbye for the season! Thanks for such a great season SDC, we will be back next year! :)

So, could you actually count on two (- four) hands how many people were actually there?

I could probably count the amount of people I actually saw (not including workers) on one hand. 99% of the time we were in the park we never saw another park guest. It was weird. It was like we were the only people in the park!!

No disrespect to SDC as i've been there many times and think its a great park. But if all the rides are closed, and you could count everyone in the park on one hand, it begs the question why even open the park in the first place? What if someone showed up that wasn't a season pass holder? Would they actually charge them admission? I can't imagine paying to go to a theme park just for the pleasure of walking around all day in 10 degree weather.

Now if all the shows are going that's a different story but from your TR it looked like absolutely nothing was going on there.

No disrespect to SDC as i've been there many times and think its a great park. But if all the rides are closed, and you could count everyone in the park on one hand, it begs the question why even open the park in the first place? What if someone showed up that wasn't a season pass holder? Would they actually charge them admission? I can't imagine paying to go to a theme park just for the pleasure of walking around all day in 10 degree weather.

Now if all the shows are going that's a different story but from your TR it looked like absolutely nothing was going on there.

The weekend of the ice storm, admission was discounted. All shows except Dickens were showing - Dickens was not showing because Bob Crachet's wife IRL had a medical emergency and was rushed to St. Louis. He did not have an understudy at that time. Saturday the park closed early, but Sunday it was open the entire day.

I personally find SDC to be the type of place that would be amazing to visit even if it didn't have rides. So yes, I think being open was definitely worth it.

I personally find SDC to be the type of place that would be amazing to visit even if it didn't have rides. So yes, I think being open was definitely worth it.

Absolutely. When I was a kid, and there were no roller coasters and all the biggest rides were water rides, basically during the Christmas festival the train was it, and it was still a fantastic time. Even if I didn't live close enough to have a season pass, I'd totally pay to go during the Christmas festival just for the pleasure of walking around all day. Honestly, walking around and seeing all the lights and decorations is the main draw of this season.

Absolutely. When I was a kid, and there were no roller coasters and all the biggest rides were water rides, basically during the Christmas festival the train was it, and it was still a fantastic time. Even if I didn't live close enough to have a season pass, I'd totally pay to go during the Christmas festival just for the pleasure of walking around all day. Honestly, walking around and seeing all the lights and decorations is the main draw of this season.

An Old Time Christmas has only been going on since 1993. They did 2 years of "12 Days of Christmas" before that. ThuNderaTion opened in 1993 and was open for the first An Old Time Christmas. Fire in the Hole has been open for all o the Christmas Festivals.

As I said before i've been to SDC many times (including during their Christmas event) and like the park, but I definitely don't like it enough to go all the way out there and buy a ticket without any of the rides or shows going . Glad to hear that most of the shows were going though.

An Old Time Christmas has only been going on since 1993. They did 2 years of "12 Days of Christmas" before that. ThuNderaTion opened in 1993 and was open for the first An Old Time Christmas. Fire in the Hole has been open for all o the Christmas Festivals.

Okay, thanks for all that information. So for two years, when I was 7-8, the situation was as I wrote, if you don't take it super literally. Hint: It wasn't meant to be taken super literally. Another hint: People rarely like to be corrected on things they didn't mean to be taken super literally.