TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

Although, I do hope that they realize some of the potential capacity issues and opt for the dual-loading platform like the Zombie ride in Mexico. Follow up: How has capacity been for Tempesto - Are lines longer than other coasters?

BGW never has a crowd. Neither does SWO, based on my two visits there; once in the summer and once just last Friday. I can't imagine SWSD being any different. The third car on Tempesto really adds to the ride as the forces that far back are really intense. I don't think it will be worth a dual loading station if they get a 3-car model like Tempesto.

^Either one of those possibilities would be great, neither one of them are 150 ft or compact however.

True. I guess everyone automatically assumes it's a Sky Rocket 2 model because of the exact height limit. But I think it could be something entirely different. Inversions, twist and turns will be included as well. At this point, it's a toss up for now.

I hope it's not a Sky Rocket II clone, although I wouldn't be surprised if it is. With both Superman: UF and Full Throttle (the latter being only 3 hours away), it wouldn't exactly be unique to California. If they are working with 150 feet, I'd love to see some type of B&M (haven't had a new one in CA since Tatsu in 2006), but we'll see how this plays out. I guess any new coaster is great for SWSD since it is the weakest park in the chain for coasters.

I know it's not likely but could that new Mack launched looping spinning coaster be a possibility? Based on what we saw of it at IAAPA it seems like it could fit into a similar footprint as a Skyrocket II. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I'd rather

have that than another Skyrocket II.

I think a spinning, inverting thrill coaster is quite a bit different from a terrain coaster all about air time. I'd love to see one of those Mack spinners, but a SkyRocket II isn't a bad option either. While they're starting to pop up frequently, they're great rides unlike a boomerang or SLC.

it seems awfully similar to Manta.

In no way at all, aside from the track style, which is slighty different anyway

I was going along the lines that they are both multi-launch Mack coasters, but I guess you're right. It's not like the GP will tell... just look at the Cedar Fair B&M Hyper/Giga combos at Carowinds and CW.

A sky rocket 2 almost seems inevitable due to the 150 feet that's being reported. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of too many rides that are 150 feet that feature inversions that aren't B&M's and those are definitely not compact. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I guess we will have to wait and see.

A sky rocket 2 almost seems inevitable due to the 150 feet that's being reported. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of too many rides that are 150 feet that feature inversions that aren't B&M's and those are definitely not compact. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I guess we will have to wait and see.

There's eurofighters, freeflys, zacspins, boomerangs, and some custom B&M's and Intamin's can be made compact and at 150ft. if they request it. Or could be something completely out of the blue and brand new.

As someone who lives in LA and has visited the park before, I'd like to share my ideas. I personally think we'll be seeing a Chance Hyper GTX, with maybe a 0g roll thrown in. With the exclusion of TC which is quite the drive from Seaworld, the California Market is sorely lacking a fantastic airtime coaster. The Chance GTX's is roughly 100 feet, so in my personal opinion, I think they could build a bit taller. This would fill the gap of an adult, inverting, and compact coaster. Many people are forgetting that the marketing plan said: Twists and Turns, and while they could be talking generally, I think they literally mean this. A Sky Rocket II/Gale Force clone wouldn't have this, as they practically go in a straight line. Also, one last quick note, WoF has been heavily rumored to get a Premier coaster, so maybe this will be going there, or possibly even Valleyfair, heck, even Wild Adventures in GA. All we know is its going somewhere in the US, and thats pretty much it (as far as I know), so I wouldn't get too set in stone on this park getting it. This is just my analysis, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the park you guys might have

As someone who lives in LA and has visited the park before, I'd like to share my ideas. I personally think we'll be seeing a Chance Hyper GTX, with maybe a 0g roll thrown in. With the exclusion of TC which is quite the drive from Seaworld, the California Market is sorely lacking a fantastic airtime coaster. The Chance GTX's is roughly 100 feet, so in my personal opinion, I think they could build a bit taller. This would fill the gap of an adult, inverting, and compact coaster. Many people are forgetting that the marketing plan said: Twists and Turns, and while they could be talking generally, I think they literally mean this. A Sky Rocket II/Gale Force clone wouldn't have this, as they practically go in a straight line. Also, one last quick note, WoF has been heavily rumored to get a Premier coaster, so maybe this will be going there, or possibly even Valleyfair, heck, even Wild Adventures in GA. All we know is its going somewhere in the US, and thats pretty much it (as far as I know), so I wouldn't get too set in stone on this park getting it. This is just my analysis, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the park you guys might have

I would love a 150ft GT-X, but I think at that point it would no longer be "compact". I'm thinking of other 150ft hypers like Goliath at La Ronde and Walibi Holland, those certainly arent "compact". Plus with how much trouble the city of San Diego gives SW with zoning etc; a Premier SR II seems like it would be easier to get approved than a coaster with a 3500-4000ft track length with multiple occurrences over 100ft.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I'd love to be only 2hrs away from a hyper GT-X.

One thing I think is in favor of it NOT being a Premier is the fact that the park already has a launcher in Manta.

Edited by Superbatboy

One thing I think is in favor of it NOT being a Premier is the fact that the park already has a launcher in Manta.

And that certainly didn't stop BGW even 3 years after installing Verbolten.

I really would LOVE to get something other than an SRII, but I simply can't see a 150ft coaster that would fit in such a space that isn't that.

I would not really call California an airtime desert anymore. Sure, that may have been true five years ago, but now every big park in the state has at least one coaster with descent airtime. (We now have Colossus, The Joker, Gold Striker, Ghostrider (now that it is actually a good ride again), Manta, and California Screamin (which has pretty extreme airtime by Disney standards)). Since we are talking about a park that has only two coasters, they could add almost anything and it would be a good fit for the park. I would much rather have a junior hyper than a Skyrocket II, but given the evidence, this design seems like the best fit.

The only argument I could see against a Skyrocket II is that there does already exist one in California. However, SFDK and SWSD are a full day's drive away. Most people in SoCal will also likely never ride a roller coaster outside SoCal. So, the only group this would negatively effect would be tourists from NorCal. But I also imagine that Skyrocket II designs are cheap enough compared to any other design of equivalent size that it would make for a better investment overall.

The only argument I could see against a Skyrocket II is that there does already exist one in California. However, SFDK and SWSD are a full day's drive away. Most people in SoCal will also likely never ride a roller coaster outside SoCal. So, the only group this would negatively effect would be tourists from NorCal. But I also imagine that Skyrocket II designs are cheap enough compared to any other design of equivalent size that it would make for a better investment overall.

So Cal and Nor Cal are almost like two different states

^Since it takes up that small of a space, I am fairly certain it is a Skyrocket II.

However, I guess there is a small chance we could see a different design. Or maybe, it could be something more like Gale Force? Or it is possible that Premier came up with a different design similar to the Skyrocket II. I would think that another clone would be far more likely, but there may also be a small chance of a different design.