TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I have never purchased a souvenir bottle. Even when I received one for free at Coasterstock, I did not use it. It's incredibly inconvenient to carry around, and I refuse to pay for lockers.

From an environmental standpoint, the more paper cups you use, the more trees that get planted. The vast majority of paper products in the US are sourced from sustainable tree farms. So drink up tree-huggers!

Souvenir cups are a staple of the theme park environment. Every time i visit a new park it is a must that i get one. I think that the overall money that would be lost from random once a year visitors that see the cups and say "hey that's cool, i'm gonna get one of those" as opposed to "well i don't have a season pass, and i'm not paying 5 dollars for one soda. Guess i'll just find a water fountain" would do serious damage to the park's annual revenue. (And yes, the extra trash would be a negative issue as well )

I had this same thought but I just decided to keep it to myself and started wondering when the hell I became such a tree-hugger.

When you walked into Busch Gardens.

From an environmental standpoint, the more paper cups you use, the more trees that get planted. The vast majority of paper products in the US are sourced from sustainable tree farms. So drink up tree-huggers!

That's not what Busch Gardens told me!!!!!!!

JK, actually,

I don't know how this stuff works

But that's cool if it's true!

Souvenir cups are a staple of the theme park environment. Every time i visit a new park it is a must that i get one. I think that the overall money that would be lost from random once a year visitors that see the cups and say "hey that's cool, i'm gonna get one of those" as opposed to "well i don't have a season pass, and i'm not paying 5 dollars for one soda. Guess i'll just find a water fountain" would do serious damage to the park's annual revenue. (And yes, the extra trash would be a negative issue as well )

I don't think the latter would be true, plenty of people buy sodas despite them being expensive, but the former does seem like a very likely situation. I could see them bumping up the price for this because a) what you said b) cost of paper cupzzz!!!

Maybe they'll do all day drinks wristband (do they already have one? I don't really eat or drink at the park) for the non-passholder visitors who still want unlimited drinks.

Also, I can't remember if it's been said (a lot of the CF threads are talking about this) but this might increase the lines at food stands even more unless there were separate drinks-only stands (again, pardon me if this is already a thing). With the conveniency of this plan, I could see people using the f* out of their all-year drinking plan on their pass, just as people do with the dining pass.

The problem is that it is complicated. The paper cups are unlikely to be recycled. Typically the cups are actually plastic lined which is why they are waterproof. Separating the plastic from the paper is very difficult and very few recyclers even have the ability. The good news is that the paper industry uses trees which were planted specifically for paper so it is just another crop like corn or wheat. The trees are even capturing a small amount of CO2. The bad news is paper cups are almost never made using recycled paper.

Instead let's look at it from an energy perspective. The energy needed to make one reusable plastic cup is enough to make 30-50 paper cups. Also the energy usage assumes you never clean the plastic cup. The more frequently it is cleaned the less likely it is you will ever be able to save enough energy to make using the bottle better than paper cups.

Basically how many times will the cup be used? If they are only used a handful of times then it will be better for the environment to just use paper cups. Once a plastic cup has been used 50+ times then you can consider it better for the environment to use the plastic cup.

But if all of this was really being done for the environment then it would be better to use higher quality cups and keep them year to year instead of replacing the cups every season. My cup shrunk at least a half inch just due to being stored in a hot car. It was interesting seeing cups which had been run through a dishwasher because the hot water caused them to shrink and they ended up at most half the original height.

If your concerned about disposable cups, look no further than holiday world and how they handle it.

How do they handle it? I haven't been in a few years, but I seem to remember cups getting thrown out like normal trash.

Not trying to stir s**t for the sake of stirring s**t, I'm genuinely curious if they have a good solution. For me, I don't know enough either way, but I'd prefer supporting whichever method leaves a smaller ecological footprint, both from an energy consumption and landfill perspective.

My cup shrunk at least a half inch just due to being stored in a hot car. It was interesting seeing cups which had been run through a dishwasher because the hot water caused them to shrink and they ended up at most half the original height.

I'm tellin' ya, every goddamn year I make the same damn mistake at some point and end up with a Quasimodo cup.

If your concerned about disposable cups, look no further than holiday world and how they handle it.

I would like to know, too. How do they handle it? Thanks in advance.

They have a stack of paper cups next to the drink station. You get one, fill it, drink, then toss your cup in the trash. Or if you want, you can take the same cup back to another drink station and fill it again. This is the Midwest. We don't believe in making things unnecessarily complicated.

I would like to know, too. How do they handle it? Thanks in advance.

They have a stack of paper cups next to the drink station. You get one, fill it, drink, then toss your cup in the trash. Or if you want, you can take the same cup back to another drink station and fill it again. This is the Midwest. We don't believe in making things unnecessarily complicated.

Ohio IS in the Midwest, my friend.

If it was a little jab he was throwing at anyone it would probably be at other parts of the country, as that's why he said "This is the Midwest. We don't believe in making things unnecessarily complicated", like maybe say the North East, or the Western parts of the USA, which have more regulations and people themselves, make it harder to go about doing something that should be easy.

If it was a little jab he was throwing at anyone it would probably be at other parts of the country, as that's why he said "This is the Midwest. We don't believe in making things unnecessarily complicated", like maybe say the North East, or the Western parts of the USA, which have more regulations and people themselves, make it harder to go about doing something that should be easy.

Bingo. 10 points to Griffindor.

I'm gonna let my nerd side show here. It's spelled Gryffindor.

Um...I'm using...the traditional Welsh spelling! Yeah, that's it.

Um...I'm using...the traditional Welsh spelling! Yeah, that's it.

Damn it, I've been out-nerded!

Little off topic. But does anyone think ki could use a capacity monster ride. Something like maybe maverick or a wild mouse?

I don't think you know what the term "capacity monster" means.... or you're a troll.

Truth. When I think of a capacity monster, Maverick, or a wild mouse are some of the last coasters that come to mind.

Little off topic. But does anyone think ki could use a capacity monster ride. Something like maybe maverick or a wild mouse?

I don't think you know what the term "capacity monster" means.... or you're a troll.

Truth. When I think of a capacity monster, Maverick, or a wild mouse are some of the last coasters that come to mind.

Hell no! If you really want to move people, get a ZacSpin!