Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Page 530: SW8 confirmed as £15 million GCI wood coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Moley » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Further details have today come to light surrounding Secret Weapon 8, Alton Towers Resort’s wooden rollercoaster development set to open in 2018.

In plans submitted to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council as part of the requirements of the planning permission granted earlier this year, details surrounding the manufacturer, timescale, and cost of the attraction are confirmed.

Set to be constructed by Great Coasters International (GCI), the wooden rollercoaster will take a total of 58 weeks to construct, followed by 11 weeks of testing and staff training of the ride. With recent reports of construction having commenced in the past week at the Resort this would mean a potential opening date of the end of March or beginning of April 2018, a timescale which would potentially coincide with the start of the main 2018 season. Also contained within the submitted details is confirmation of a £15 million cost for the construction of the ride. However, it is perhaps important to note that this figure will not include the cost of promotion or marketing of the ride and therefore will not be representative of the total investment for SW8.

Other smaller details are also illustrated within the new documents with retaining walls now shown on either side of the track as it leaves the station, and on part of the final break run. There is also what appears to be some form of small building underneath the lift hill, although exactly what this is for is uncertain at this stage.

Also contained within the submitted documents are details of plans to maintain and conserve the historic Deer Park Wall which boarders the site of SW8. Thought to date back to as early as 1316, the medieval Deer Park Wall formed part of the historic estate and is considered an important part of the history of the site.

Source: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2016/11/30/additional-sw8-details-confirmed/

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:21 pm

^Glad to finally have it confirmed as GCI! Also it looks like demolition on the flume is progressing pretty well, link below.
https://mobile.twitter.com/rosssmithmkl

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby livai » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Happy for the coaster, but the park still go wrong and Other 60/70 PEOPLE could be fired. ohhh merlin
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2016/11/12/up-to-70-further-jobs-to-be-cut-at-alton-towers-resort/
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 pm

RyanTPM wrote:^Glad to finally have it confirmed as GCI! Also it looks like demolition on the flume is progressing pretty well, link below.
https://mobile.twitter.com/rosssmithmkl

Does the demo guy confirm the new ride is themed to Wicker Man?!
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 am

Replacing a log flume with a GCI? You're dead to me Alton Towers. :lol:

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Dar » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 am

At least Blackpool are building a decent coaster for 2018 :P

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby cookiex » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Dar wrote:At least Blackpool are building a decent coaster for 2018 :P

And they replaced their Log Flume with an SLC years ago so they have nowhere to go but up. :lol:
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 89

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby scottjenkins » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:48 am

cookiex wrote:
Dar wrote:At least Blackpool are building a decent coaster for 2018 :P

And they replaced their Log Flume with an SLC years ago so they have nowhere to go but up. :lol:

This wins the internet for the day. Touche indeed :lmao:

I am stupid.

Postby I love pie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Isn't SW8 a launched woodie?

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:05 pm

I love pie wrote:Isn't SW8 a launched woodie?

| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!