TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Energylandia Park Discussion Thread

A lesson for Vekoma in the category: Never underestimate the better presentation. I think that Vekoma should have put much more work in their simulation. With a way better looking sim their ride would have had a much better opportunity at winning thing. No matter what, the ride will be good, but I would have loved to see vekoma do this since their lay-out look much more fan instead of a: 'lets throw as much in it as we can' lay-out.

You're saying that Vekoma needs to be taught a lesson? Seriously? They're layout proposals, not 100% concept marketing material. They're supposed to be functional. Besides, the only difference appears to be that someone at Intamin took a short amount of time to whip up what could pass in some countries as a building and a pathway. Both had overly-dramatic music, both had a set of custom trains, both used a combination of cinematic cameras and on-ride shots... To say that one simulation was miles better than the other is splitting hairs.

Also, the videos are only a part of the bigger proposal. Do you honestly think the park going to make a decision based solely on a video? No, they're not! Both Vekoma and Intamin likely submitted elevations, overhead views, perspectives, etc to go along with the video. Heck, for all we know, whichever layout they go with could end up being different once it's drawn up based on the topography of the site it will be built on.

^^Even though its true they aren't likely to make a decision based solely on the videos alone, they did ask for the public to vote on which one they preferred. Therefore the video probably did have a large influence on which one they chose/ will choose, and with the Intamin animation being better, it probably swayed some votes in their favor.

My point is, I do these sort of blasted things for a living, and apart from Intamin calling out the elements as they're shown I can't see any discernible difference in quality between the two videos. Maybe I'm desensitized or just burned out from staring at my computer screen so much.

A lesson for Vekoma in the category: Never underestimate the better presentation. I think that Vekoma should have put much more work in their simulation. With a way better looking sim their ride would have had a much better opportunity at winning thing. No matter what, the ride will be good, but I would have loved to see vekoma do this since their lay-out look much more fan instead of a: 'lets throw as much in it as we can' lay-out.

You're saying that Vekoma needs to be taught a lesson? Seriously? They're layout proposals, not 100% concept marketing material. They're supposed to be functional. Besides, the only difference appears to be that someone at Intamin took a short amount of time to whip up what could pass in some countries as a building and a pathway. Both had overly-dramatic music, both had a set of custom trains, both used a combination of cinematic cameras and on-ride shots... To say that one simulation was miles better than the other is splitting hairs.

Also, the videos are only a part of the bigger proposal. Do you honestly think the park going to make a decision based solely on a video? No, they're not! Both Vekoma and Intamin likely submitted elevations, overhead views, perspectives, etc to go along with the video. Heck, for all we know, whichever layout they go with could end up being different once it's drawn up based on the topography of the site it will be built on.

You are being rather harsh without knowing my intention, but thanks for the feedback anyway. I agree that the park will probably not choose the ride from the video's alone, the park looks to much more than just a simple video. There is cost, how it looks and fits in the park, the amount of maintenance needed, the stats to present. The public however, is usualy easly swayed by good images. I've seen that more than once a better looking proposal gets chosen over the lesser looking proposal, eventhough the quality of the proposal itself was of the exact same level. (note, this is based on my 6 year experience in the field of Urban Design). So yeah, if Vekoma knows that they are going to put this up on facebook I think they should have taken time to make the video better looking. If there is even a remote change that the opinion of the people on facebook has any infuance on the decision of what ride to build they should try to influence those people on facebook. And honestly, if I'm correct you have played enough Nolimits to know what difference the look of a video can make (N7 surely knows it)

Did anyone catch that the Vekoma hyper trains have OTS vest restraints? Sorry if this has already been discussed (I haven't been following this thread), but from my skimming back I didn't see this brought up.

OTS vest restraints may kill airtime depending on how tight they are.

I'm glad to see that Intamin has been busy overseas. Hopefully with the last few projects that have been working well as far as I have heard, some more American parks will build their products again.

Personally, I think that Vekoma will have a market for these hypers with smaller parks. They have always been a cost friendly company. But considering that Chance cannot even get a buyer for the Hyper GTX's yet, the outlook is a little fuzzy.

One thing is for sure, the park is guaranteed an awesome product with an Intamin layout.

They have always been a cost friendly company. But considering that Chance cannot even get a buyer for the Hyper GTX's yet, the outlook is a little fuzzy.

Well yeah but Chance isn't exactly an internationally super popular manufacturer, most of their rides are flat rides in the US market and so are most their coasters with of course the occasional exception.

Personally, I think that Vekoma will have a market for these hypers with smaller parks. They have always been a cost friendly company. But considering that Chance cannot even get a buyer for the Hyper GTX's yet, the outlook is a little fuzzy.

Those smaller mega-lite type rides seem to be a hard sell. Even Intamin had a 5-6 year drought before another park was interested in one.

I feel like Vekoma hypers could be a hit if they offer an attractive price tag. I'm also interested to see if the space launcher (ala rollercoaster formula 1) ends up being selling well like their junior boomerangs have as of late.

It would be interesting for inexpensive Vekoma hypers to hit the market. B&M hypers are 20+mill now and I am sure Intamin isnt far behind.

What makes you think a Vekoma hyper would be any less costly?

Likely because historically most Vekoma coasters have been significantly cheaper in price than their counterparts by other manufacturers. An example could be, and we're talking strictly price rather than quality, the B&M invert vs the Vekoma SLC. Cheaper price on the SLC made them a more popular and feasible route for many parks than a B&M invert.

I'm not exactly sure if that's the case with their hyper coasters but my guess would be that it is.

What makes you think a Vekoma hyper would be any less costly?

Likely because historically most Vekoma coasters have been significantly cheaper in price than their counterparts by other manufacturers. An example could be, and we're talking strictly price rather than quality, the B&M invert vs the Vekoma SLC. Cheaper price on the SLC made them a more popular and feasible route for many parks than a B&M invert.

Eh, suspended looping coasters aren't necessarily cheap under all circumstances. It really all depends on the conditions of the site they're built on. If anything, I would say that the off-the-shelf 685-meter layout is popular because it packs a lot of thrill in a relatively small, nearly-rectangular space. With, say, a Batman clone, you have to have a longer skinnier plot on the lift hill side and a weird larger trapezoidal plot on the spaghetti bowl side. With the Vekoma, all a park really needs in terms of space is, according to Vekoma themselves, is a 110-meter by 47-meter rectangle.

Would the Vekoma mega coaster be cheaper? Maybe. But I would bet that the difference between the two is piecemeal unless there's something drastically different, such as a higher / lower maximum height, longer / shorter track length, etc between them.

EDIT: For comparison's sake, Raptor, a big old B&M custom-designed for Cedar Point, costed about 12.3 million USD adjusted for 1997 inflation, whereas Six Flags New England's Mind Eraser, much shorter than Raptor in height and length, costed 10 million USD when it was built new in 1997. A difference, sure, especially for 1997, but I doubt the price was the deciding factor for Six Flags to go with the suspended looping coaster.

Edited by A.J.

This is interesting: their mega coaster advertisement shows vest OTSRs despite their video showing lapbars.

[attachment=0]IMG_3046.JPG[/attachment]

This isn't the Energylandia ride, but a different proposal for hyper coasters. It seems to have Over the shoulder lap bars.

This is interesting: their mega coaster advertisement shows vest OTSRs despite their video showing lapbars.

I think his one is older. The train is four-seats across, too.

Energylandia said that they will be posting the new 80 meters high projects soon from both the Intamin and Vekoma.

Mind. Blown.

Bring it on!

• 1 month later...

According to Energylandia Facebook, it will be announced at 7pm (Poland) 6pm (UK) 1pm (FL USA) which model of mega coaster they are choosing. They already know who it will be, and all the interesting stats will be released as well. Stay tuned!

Edited by A.T.I

Intamin WON !!!!! They improved the project and changed the trains, 4 seat for row, added a splash and other features!

I don't know how to paste the video here but it will be phenomenal! The top speed will be 140km/h

Edited by Stonem