Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

P. 28 - Verrückt will be removed from the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:22 am

Philrad71 wrote:^ And then call a lawyer.

While tweeting a selfy and watching brain-eating reality tv.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:26 am

amy_mel wrote:I'm not super familiar with the ride.

Don't worry. Most of the people performing the "TPR parallel investigation" in this thread aren't familiar with it either but that hasn't stopped them. :lol:

Anyway, that's not a silly question at all. Actually it's a total reasonable question so it seems a little out-of-place in this thread. The website says 2-3 riders so it doesn't seem like they require 3, but maybe someone who frequents the park can shed some light on how they generally operate it.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 am

amy_mel wrote:I'm not super familiar with the ride so forgive this if it's a silly question. Is it a requirement to have 3 riders? I'm asking because if the weights that are reported as being taken at the hospital are correct, the 2 adults would have been 472 lbs by themselves, putting then right about at the middle of the weight range. I'm trying to grasp why they put Caleb on that raft and push it to the upper weight limit.

3 Riders is not a requirement. 2 riders is. However it could have been something as simple as "We have 2 riders, and he is a single rider. We can put him with them, and the weight limit will still be okay, so let's do it." If they had made a reservation, and he were in the "walk up line" they could have paired them up that way they were giving as many people a chance to ride the ride as they could, and all the requirements were still met.
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby amy_mel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 am

That makes total sense. Popular attraction that draws enough to make a reservation system necessary. So let's move as many people as we can within the guidelines. I'll be interested to see what if any details they release as to the cause.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Sounds like the injuries to the ladies who were also in the raft were a little more severe than we (or at least I) first thought.

As one of the women's husbands explained, one passenger broke her jaw and had to get eight stitches on her chin, and is still waiting to find out if she will need to get her jaw wired shut or if it will be able to heal properly on its own. The other woman received a fracture on her cheekbone, bruising to her eyeball, and had to get five stitches over her left eye.

They are also not yet ready to talk about what they experienced and saw on the ride itself.

Source.
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Wow. So it would appear that Schlitterbahn has released a statement and the ride will be closed and removed.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/schlitterbahn-kansas-city/statement-regarding-verr%C3%BCckt/1265465546846187
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 18.59.40.png

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby ZambeziZinger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:20 pm

It was really the only course of action that made sense. Very unfortunate that it happened in the first place. Maybe a MASSIV type ride would be a good replacement.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:22 pm

I was shocked by this for a minute until I noticed the wording of this...

Verrückt will be decommissioned – closed permanently and the slide removed from the tower. In our opinion, it is the only proper course of action following this tragedy.

We will, at some point in the future, announce what will be built in its place.

If they're leaving the tower in place then in a few years it sounds like they'll just build a new slide with a new name that won't have the same tarnished name and press associated with it. If they build a tube or body slide without a hill it would probably still be just as marketable.

This is a very smart move by the park in my opinion.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:30 pm

This really isn't surprising. It had that reputation of being edgy and intense, and it just seemed like that never really resonated anyway. It'd be different if this was a beloved slide, but it really wasn't. It seems like Schlitterbahn was counting on Verruckt to bring the people in, but it had such a limited appeal that it didn't really help in that aspect.

I know the Texas Schlitterbahns have a great reputation, but I've looked into going here, and it's just hard to justify when Oceans of Fun is right across town. There really isn't anything at Schlitterbahn that Oceans of Fun doesn't have already. The biggest problem is that Schlitterbahn doesn't have nearly enough things for little kids to do. OoF's three children's splash areas are a very compelling argument. This accident cannot be good at all for them when they face such strong competition, but I wish them well. Personally what would get me to go there would be more children's activities and more tube slides that we can enjoy as a family. I know a lot of you enthusiasts go nuts over the "MOAR INTENZZZZ" rides, but something not so intimidating that my 9-year-old will be afraid to go on it is what will actually sell 5 tickets. Sorry guys, we're just the target demographic for these places.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Not going to lie, I'm not at all surprised that Schlitterbahn is removing the slide. It is interesting that they are leaving the tower, and it will be interesting to see what they put in it's place.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!