TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

It is neat to see the slight differences between the Walt Disney World and Shanghai Disneyland versions of the ride. Regardless, the ride is very fun in Florida and looks to be no less so in Shanghai, and given the Chinese people's affinity for Snow White, I'm sure this will be one of the big hits for the park.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all again... I posted my trip report a few weeks back but while overseas I also filmed my trip and have finally finished editing a movie of Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland, including the opening walk in for Shanghai. Hope you all enjoy it!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I have a strange request. Is there anyone who is going to Shanghai Disney in the near future? A friend of mine is a Disney Design Group artist, and designed a Snow White doll that is only being released in Shanghai.

If anyone is going to Shanghai Disney soon, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Brian

FB_IMG_1478139355458.thumb.jpg.13c9267966340f9d4fbf9c11397fc3c5.jpg

Here is a photo of the doll

Toy Story Land broke ground and started construction today. The new area will open in 2018 and there will be three new rides and one special meet and greet area.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/shanghai-disneyland-breaks-ground-on-toy-story-land/

We’re excited to share that Toy Story Land is coming to Shanghai Disneyland! Bob Iger, chairman and chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company, along with Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and Fan Xiping, chairman of Shanghai Shendi Group, recently celebrated breaking ground on this new expansion, which will open in 2018.

We started the expansion even before opening Shanghai Disneyland in anticipation of its immense popularity in Mainland China. The characters from Toy Story have been well liked in China ever since the release of the first film in the franchise back in 1995, and Shanghai Disney Resort already has the only resort hotel in the world dedicated to the characters and stories from Toy Story. Our guests can’t get enough of Buzz, Woody and all of their pals, which made Toy Story an obvious choice for Shanghai Disneyland’s first expansion.

As you can tell from the logo, Toy Story Land at Shanghai Disneyland will be both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese, making it a one-of-a-kind experience for our guests. Everyone’s favorite toys from one of the most popular franchises ever will come to life and play in a fully immersive land with three attractions and a themed character greeting area.

Shanghai Disneyland’s new Toy Story Land will be an experience guests can only have in Mainland China. It will be the perfect setting for all toys – old and new – to gather together for a day that’s more fun than a Barrel of Monkeys!

So… have you planned your trip to our newest Disney resort yet? Let us know in the comments below! And stay tuned for more updates on the Disney Parks Blog.

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.0c56d9e4456b73b5602f29953bade079.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

^ I remember reading back then, that 2 of the rides were to be the U-Coaster and Slinky Dog.

But I also read they weren't going to put in the parachute drop for some cultural reason.

Has this decision changed now, or is there something new being created and built especially for this TSL?

Hi all again... I posted my trip report a few weeks back but while overseas I also filmed my trip and have finally finished editing a movie of Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland, including the opening walk in for Shanghai. Hope you all enjoy it!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Thanks for the video. Really enjoyed that!

^ I remember reading back then, that 2 of the rides were to be the U-Coaster and Slinky Dog.

But I also read they weren't going to put in the parachute drop for some cultural reason.

Has this decision changed now, or is there something new being created and built especially for this TSL?

I never quite understood why it was said it was down to culture. I understand Hong Kong and mainland China are different but considering the amount of Chinese tourists we see at HKDL that have come over, you'd think if there was an issue it would never have been built at HKDL. I mean the green army men were pretty popular at HKDL's meet and greet area and when they marched out of Toy Story Land.

^ Maybe they changed their minds and the parachute drop is back in?

I just re-read the press release, and noticed they say three "attractions" (instead of rides)

as well as the Character Meet area. So one of these attractions could be a stage with shows, maybe?

By the way, I always wanted to say, that a show is NOT an "attraction," in my mind. Just saying.

But nowadays, what can you expect from Disney? Everything except food and souvenirs, is an "attraction."

Still, I am definitely looking forward to what the "Land" has in store.

Hi all again... I posted my trip report a few weeks back but while overseas I also filmed my trip and have finally finished editing a movie of Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland, including the opening walk in for Shanghai. Hope you all enjoy it

Your video was very good and thank you for sharing your experience. You had a ton of awesome footage!

I don't know if Toy Story Land is a good idea since Hong Kong Disneyland already has one. I thought they wanted to make those parks different. What about a Finding Nemo/Dory Land? Or a Little Mermaid Land?

Toy Story sells more merch.

I'm going to Shanghai over Christmas and really want to take a trip to Disneyland, mainly for Pirates and TRON. What sort of lines are to be expected on weekdays now? Is it still pretty manic, or is it fairly manageable within a day?

Also, anyone been to Happy Valley Shanghai? Is that worth spending a day on?..

I'm going to Shanghai over Christmas and really want to take a trip to Disneyland, mainly for Pirates and TRON. What sort of lines are to be expected on weekdays now? Is it still pretty manic, or is it fairly manageable within a day?

Also, anyone been to Happy Valley Shanghai? Is that worth spending a day on?..

We have just spent two wet days there (a Thursday & a Friday)... Having tickets specific to a day meant the park was still surprisingly busy.

Pirates never had a queue longer than 35 minutes & you can usually get TRON Fastpasses throughout the day. We managed 3 rides on TRON over the 2 days, only one with a FASTPASS.

Longest queues we saw over the 2 days were for Soarin' & the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. Both were frequently well over an hour.

Fastpass.thumb.jpg.8bbf8a49282f67bef97186177b49440f.jpg

Fastpasses for within an hour... this was a surprise.

POTC.thumb.jpg.a3299a6ca1e6afa2c79b29a15bcd24c8.jpg

Notice the umbrellas... a very wet two days.

1416826795_TRONNight.thumb.jpg.286f8a0b492d3ce43dbc61d596cd44ad.jpg

Apologies for the quality of this one... turns out iPhones don't enjoy two days of wet weather very much...

TRON.thumb.jpg.87dfdce4a199b771c1e32127dad56f8b.jpg

TRON loading.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, I always wanted to say, that a show is NOT an "attraction," in my mind. Just saying.

But nowadays, what can you expect from Disney? Everything except food and souvenirs, is an "attraction."

An attraction, something that attracts people, can definitely be a show. Especially at a Disney Park where shows are often big attractions: look at the crowds Fantasmic draws to DHS at night, or how many people went to DCA when Frozen was new. DCA's attendance went up like 20% the year World of Color opened!

Also that's kind of weird how the Fastpass tickets are written in English considering about 1% of mainland China speaks English. Do you get an option or something of what language you want it in? At the other Disney Parks it has the native language and English on the same ticket.

^ I totally understand that. It's just with some of them, I don't think they should all be called "attractions"

especially the all live shows, like at Disney Sea. In My Humble Opinion, it's an insult to a live cast who has worked

their butts off to give me a fantastic performance. That's my querk about it. I would however, probably

call the new "Triton's Concert" there, an attraction. Even though it has actual live people in it, too.

E11_BigBandBeatSign_TDS.jpg.f8541335a0164c911a50e5d4de1290bc.jpg

Whatever it is, this is a great...destination in TDS! (o;

Also that's kind of weird how the Fastpass tickets are written in English considering about 1% of mainland China speaks English. Do you get an option or something of what language you want it in? At the other Disney Parks it has the native language and English on the same ticket.

I think the system records your choice of language when you pick up your ticket. During grand opening I thought they didn't have English FP!