TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

Now, if can just replace the Home Plate Ump with a fail-proof computer, we'll be all set...

I'm all for that. I don't have a dog in this fight this postseason but I was floored by that check swing strike 3 call in the Dodger game yesterday, especially since he didn't even ask for help.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, look forward to the day the NL gets the DH, and stops wasting the time of the fans who want to see something better than an almost-automatic out in the lineup! I've been a die-hard Baseball Fan since the early 90's, so I'm no Spring-chicken to the game, either. I just think the "Baseball Purists" have frequently held the betterment of the game back in the name of "tradition", and I am always pleased when another sacred cow falls.

I wouldn't call those who like a DH-less NL "purists". I'm a White Sox (AL) fan who grew up not being able to comprehend why the NL would deliberately put the pitcher in a batter's box- sometimes they'll just stand there with the bat on their shoulder as BP is thrown to them, other times there will be failed bunt attempts followed by a half-assed swing, a K or weak dribbler, and so on. I'm now of the opinion that when used correctly, a P in the batting order can add a hell of a lot to the game. It can entirely redefine how a game and especially the bullpen is managed- we've seen some good examples in this Giants/Cubs series alone (I'm not talking about the Wood and Arrieta HRs- those are outliers, but when they happen, are all the more remarkable because of the circumstances). And if you do have a pitcher that knows how to swing well, that's quite an advantage...

Also, Bartolo's HR should forever cement this format.

*Edit* Found this- AL vs. NL HRs hit by year.

*Edit* Found this- AL vs. NL HRs hit by year.

Keep in mind when viewing that that from 1998 when the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays were created until 2013 when the Astros switched to the American League, the National League had 16 teams and the American League had 14. The fact that the National League almost always led the American League in home runs is hardly noteworthy.

Now, if can just replace the Home Plate Ump with a fail-proof computer, we'll be all set...

I'm all for that. I don't have a dog in this fight this postseason but I was floored by that check swing strike 3 call in the Dodger game yesterday, especially since he didn't even ask for help.

I kind of like hitters and pitchers having to adjust to the margin of error in every human umpires strike zone, but check swings should be something reviewed if necessary. Slow motion replays make it obvious after one viewing. In that particular play, even the Washington catcher pointed down towards first base to ask for an appeal before realizing the umpire had called Puig out.

However, I don't like how long reviews take...managers should have to make the decision to ask for a review or not right away, not wait for their replay guy to answer their phone call first.

Edited by Jew

^ I'm totally on the bandwagon of having replays. I like the way MLB has taken it cautiously and introduced it in more situations year after year. They've started stating the results of the review clearly, and have generally had better transparency when the decisions are made (upholding a decision because they agree with the call made v. they just couldn't see well enough to clearly know whether the call was valid). It's a learning process. Baseball was very late in implementing replays, and I feel like they've really thought through how they're going to use it. I don't think I'd want it to be used on any ball/strike call, just because that would dramatically slow down the game and really interrupt someone's at bat, but if it's a matter of being called out or not, I could see it.

Really, though, they just need to clarify the check swing rule. Officially, it's not a matter of whether the bat crosses the front of the plate; that's just a rule of thumb a lot of umpires use. Officially the measure used is "intent to swing," whatever the hell that means. I'd love if they'd just change the rule to officially be the bat crossing the front of the plate equals a swing. It'd make things a lot simpler for everyone.

Replays are fine. Wasting an extra 5 minutes because you are waiting for your team replay guy to tell you whether or not to go ask the umpire to take a look at it is not. Needs to be an instant decision, similar to how NFL makes coach throw challenge flag before next play.

Replays are fine. Wasting an extra 5 minutes because you are waiting for your team replay guy to tell you whether or not to go ask the umpire to take a look at it is not. Needs to be an instant decision, similar to how NFL makes coach throw challenge flag before next play.

Agree I'm all for more replay. But I also do believe like to states. The challenge should be called faster. Must challenge before next pitch is thrown.

I think that's a consequence of each team only getting one challenge per game. You want to be sure you've got a good shot before you appeal. I think football has 3 per game? Something like that at least.

You get unlimited challenges as long as you are correct each time, which is exactly why they wait for their replay guy. In the post season, each manager gets 2 per game if they are wrong. It's completely contradictory to their pace of play initiatives. They need to add a timer to the amount of time allowed to challenge, just like they do for mound visits and time between innings/pitching changes....

Edited by Jew

I agree with the timer, but it seems to me that challenges more often result in calls upheld than overturned. I don't think it's so much a matter of being right as there being enough video evidence to overturn the ruling on the field. The challenge system basically is biased toward the umpires.

^Indisputable evidence the standard all the other leagues use as well. Unless it's obvious, I think that is a fair standard. Having the managers wait for their replay guy is essentially waiting twice for the replay.

Personally, I think if leagues wanted to do replay right they would have one person watching each game and being ahead of the curve. Know already its a close play and already be reviewing in the event it is challenged.

^Indisputable evidence the standard all the other leagues use as well. Unless it's obvious, I think that is a fair standard. Having the managers wait for their replay guy is essentially waiting twice for the replay.

Personally, I think if leagues wanted to do replay right they would have one person watching each game and being ahead of the curve. Know already its a close play and already be reviewing in the event it is challenged.

That actually is what happens in the playoffs. The 7th umpire on the crew is sitting in NYC watching the game. During the regular season, the Replay Umpire is following just two games. They know when they are about to get called and the wheels are already turning in their heads when they see a play. They know exactly what angles they want to see. The issue comes in when these ideal angles aren't available. The time gets consumed when they need to take "S" & "E" from the 1st replay and "A" & "F" from the 2nd angle to get "S-A-F-E".

The Tribe just feels like a Team of Destiny this year, and I think they're going to bring home another Title to Cleveland, in what is shaping up to be a great sports year for the city! Sorry to all the Cubbies faithful, but at least the World Series appearance drought is over. Maybe next year will finally be their Championship year!

Bam Bam Schwarber not cleared to play the field for the upcoming 3 games, so he'll be limited to pinch hit appearances for the Cubs. I read that the wind will be blowing out tonight with gusts of up to 40 mph. If so, that doesn't bode well for Tomlin at all...

^ And now a new curse will begin. I think the only reason they won was because of the rain delay. If that delay doesn't happen I don't think they win. Also I'm hearing that this is the first of 3 straight titles. Heck the fans are already calling them a dynamic.

The Cubs were the better team, top to bottom. The Indians played a heck of a series, but at the end I think talent just took over. That being said Maddon tried to lose it for the Cubs, no way Chapman should have pitched that much. I'm a Reds fan, Chapman is an amazing closer, the guy is a blast to watch, but the more he pitches the less effective he is.

I do think the Cubs will be around again next year, depending how they handle free agency. I believe Arrieta and Chapman are the only two that are going to hit the market. You will have a world series team potentially returning their entire starting lineup along with 4 of 5 of their starts, all 5 if Arrieta resigns.