TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Had an amazing time at the Halloween event last night. Our first night rides at the park - Phoenix, Twister, Flyer, et al were all tremendous after dark. Weather was great and crowds were out. Wanted to see the Antique Cars haunted drive thru but the line was pretty intense so we just kept doing Phoenix laps with 10-15min waits (ie line well into the plaza lol). They've got some great effects in the tunnel. And we got to check out the drive thru scenes from above.

Twister at night - Wow does this kick things up a notch. Back seat is a wonderfully wild ride, yet extremely comfortable!

Decorations were really fun. They had skeletons laying down with fishing line rigged up to pulleys and tied down in the Flying Turns station. The ops could pull the lines, making the skeletons sit up and drumming up some screams.

Sky Wheel was unfortunately not running. 1001 Nacht was the only other ride down, though Fandango did malfunction hilariously while I was waiting for it. Floors went down, ride started spinning, then stopped. Floors come up .... then go back down ... then come back up. Op gets on the mic, "We've had a fault. Please raise your restraints and exit. It will be about a half hour." Click.

Knoebels, please never change your ways.

image.thumb.jpg.3bb31811bfc24522961267027244ae01.jpg

We're on a sky ride!

IMG_4947.thumb.JPG.e1b4721c35acd4ee407741464e697d74.JPG

Obligatory.

IMG_4949.thumb.JPG.5381090e6b8745a568c78f657aacb79c.JPG

Boo!

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.3e9e4442648486e8a6cb761efa04587a.JPG

IMG_4951.thumb.JPG.1776fa654298ede95855c8e542dc403d.JPG

"Resurrection" had AWESOME surprises waiting within.

IMG_4959.thumb.JPG.eef33588433572448f4e7f9a3be79558.JPG

IMG_4963.thumb.JPG.f356ce60b1b5ace7c87b321f54eb5a30.JPG

This weekend, for the first time ever, we had a ride op turn down the speed on the Flyers twice while we were snapping. At first I was sort of proud--that has to be some sort of achievement, right?--but I don't really like being yelled at, so then only got back on once and tried very hard not to snap, which it turns out is near impossible. He didn't yell or even point it out, but it was pretty clear that was what was going on. The worst part was that when the power was cut I had the flyer stalled and consequently dropped like a stone and started snapping worse, lol.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've been going for a few years and the older guys who run the ride never seem to care. I don't think I or anybody else was doing anything fantastic either.

After many rides on the Knoebels Flyers and snapping and seeing many people snap, I've never seen anyone be told to stop or seen it slowed down in real life. I've heard many stories about it and have even seen some videos of people getting yelled at, but I never witnessed it once out of my 5 visits so far.

Yeah I've never seen it before either and I try to go a couple times a year. He didn't say anything (honestly I would have been mortified if I was the problem) but the speed got turned all the way down twice. :/ It did make for a nice long ride though... so looking on the bright side. I definitely snapped one at KD earlier this year far far better than anything this weekend, so I'm not sure what was up.

This weekend, for the first time ever, we had a ride op turn down the speed on the Flyers twice while we were snapping. At first I was sort of proud--that has to be some sort of achievement, right?--but I don't really like being yelled at, so then only got back on once and tried very hard not to snap, which it turns out is near impossible. He didn't yell or even point it out, but it was pretty clear that was what was going on. The worst part was that when the power was cut I had the flyer stalled and consequently dropped like a stone and started snapping worse, lol.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've been going for a few years and the older guys who run the ride never seem to care. I don't think I or anybody else was doing anything fantastic either.

This has been going on for years. Some ride ops on the flyers are horrendous and some are awesome. You just have to keep an eye on who's running the ride before getting in line.

I've gotten both the speed turned down and banned from the flyers after a cycle. It happens. Just listen to the ops.

I've had pretty good results by talking to the dude afterwards asking if that was too much snapping or if that was an OK amount. One dude last year at Phall Phunfest basically said "Just go apeshit" and we sure did. Great time!

Yea we have had them turn them down on a regular basis. We once got yelled at by a park employee walking by the ride . It really does depend on the op at the time. I haven't been there too much this year but they seemed to be getting more strict with it the past couple years.

My only complaint about Knoebels (which is otherwise amazing) is the inconsistent snapping policy (or lack of policy). I never know what to expect. It would be nice if they would just allow you to snap all the time.

You know it's a good park when this is the only complaint.

My only complaint about Knoebels (which is otherwise amazing) is the inconsistent snapping policy (or lack of policy). I never know what to expect. It would be nice if they would just allow you to snap all the time.

You know it's a good park when this is the only complaint.

They don't serve beer. Now there's 2 complaints. But yeah besides that it's perfect.

Same! Especially knowing it's widely known to not be damaging to the ride (unlike the properly forbidden whipping of the sails). It makes me uncomfortable not knowing what to expect for a given visit/ride cycle. Last time, I witnessed several brief slowdowns with the operator pointing at the "offending" rider, but I think I did a pretty decent job myself and we were maybe slowed down at the tail end of a full ride cycle.

Having spoken with all of the Flyers ops over the course of the summer, the general consensus is "As long as you're not out of control you can snap them"

I see the logic, but I disagree with it to an extent. They just don't want to see anybody get hurt, but if you ask me, if you walk away from Knoebels without some bruises, you're doing it wrong!

• 1 month later...

Since Knoebels does constant re-tracking on huge sections of their wood coasters every offseason to keep them running awesome and Phoenix is running so perfectly that they've run out of things to re-track they're now re-tracking the station and pre lift... something that parks pretty much never bother doing. I love them.

15220220_10157785833125551_463957428913926660_n.jpg?oh=5ea0e9e227a957d4f80b444dc452e9c9&oe=58B1520A

15271908_10157785833135551_5727624412418032738_o.jpg

15289128_10157785833145551_4374628317043613949_o.jpg

From the Knoebels Facebook page.