TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

https://www.kennywood.com/brews

The Inaugural Brews in the Park at Kennywood!

Saturday, September 24th - 4 to 8 p.m. (Rides begin at 2:00pm)

Stratwood Catering – the official Caterer of Kennywood Park – presents the first-ever craft beer festival to be held at ‘America’s Finest Traditional Amusement Park! Enjoy complimentary tastings of more than 100 delicious craft beers, live music performances, tasty treats to eat, and two hours of bonus riding time before the brews start pouring! *Brews in the Park is for guests age 21 and older only*

Tickets:

Brews in the Park Ticket – currently $29.99 during our early bird sale! Price increases to $49.99 on Monday, September 19.

• Ticket includes tasting mug, complimentary beer samples, free hot dogs, and access to the Before the Brews bonus ride time from 2 – 4 p.m. Act now!

Brews/Phantom Fright Nights Combo Ticket

Enjoy everything Brews in the Park has to offer and get a bonus ticket for Kennywood’s Phantom Fright Nights for only $10 more!

1990144313_unnamed(1).jpg.0a27c1ac0961c6e6df05e081f267e3d8.jpg

For years they didn't sell beer at all. Now that they do, it is in a small, but nice area that closes very early. I believe it was 6 pm when I was there even though the park was open until 10.

This is not good news for my trip next year. Not good news at all.

It's not a big problem, you just have to check the hours the beer garden is open and plan accordingly. I believe it was originally an allowance from local government on a trial basis to let them sell beer. There doesn't seem to be any problems, so maybe they will expand it a bit. The beer fest seems to point in all the right directions. Oh, they don't throw you out of the garden at 6, they just stopped selling. (stock up)

Hopefully this will be huge success! I love this idea although options for nearby lodging are not the greatest, so would need a DD, Uber or taxi for the event.

Won't be able to make it this year, but will try to go next year. Here's to hoping that someone on here will go and do a trip report??? Pretty pleeeeeaasse????

And thanks for the tip on the beer garden times, Mark. The last time we went, there was no alcohol available in the park at all, so this is definitely a step in the right direction. I remember thinking when we were there...this is Pittsburgh and they don't sell beer at a park? Boooooo!!!!!!

Beer isn't very popular there. The price is high considering it's only a 12oz cup with 2 drink limit. They usually have security around that area which is a good thing to deter underage drinking. There's a so a decent but expensive BBQ stand next to it. Seems to me that the beer would sell better in the Parkside Cafe but it would be too difficult to monitor that area.

^ How expensive is expensive?

I can't say that beer in any park that I have visited has been "cheap". Fantasy Island was probably the cheapest with a huge cup of Molson (maybe 21 oz?) being about $6.50. Most run anywhere between $8-10 for a 12 or 16 oz cup.

Yeah, you could buy a decent six pack for that in the store, but I like buying a beer or three at a park, just chill out and people watch before hitting the next coaster. I'd much rather pay the extra couple of bucks for a nice cold beer than pay $5 for some watered-down Pepsi bullshit.

Hopefully this will be huge success! I love this idea although options for nearby lodging are not the greatest, so would need a DD, Uber or taxi for the event.

Won't be able to make it this year, but will try to go next year. Here's to hoping that someone on here will go and do a trip report??? Pretty pleeeeeaasse????

And thanks for the tip on the beer garden times, Mark. The last time we went, there was no alcohol available in the park at all, so this is definitely a step in the right direction. I remember thinking when we were there...this is Pittsburgh and they don't sell beer at a park? Boooooo!!!!!!

We just got back from an extended weekend and stayed at the Hampton in West Mifflin........only a few minutes from the park(with good GPS LOL) and it was very nice and moderately cheap.

Also, from this trip I was highly disappointed with the Auto Race........why was it slowed down so much...it almost crawled around the track.

^ Great...thanks for the tip as we normally try to shoot for Hampton Inn's when we travel now.

I hear you about the GPS...we also found out that it's not overly difficult to get lost in that area as well as in downtown where you spend half your time in a tunnel!

^ Great...thanks for the tip as we normally try to shoot for Hampton Inn's when we travel now.

I hear you about the GPS...we also found out that it's not overly difficult to get lost in that area as well as in downtown where you spend half your time in a tunnel!

It was actually pretty easy with the Kennywood arrows......and there's plenty of eats around the hotel and one of the nicest continental breakfasts I have seen for a hotel.

It was actually pretty easy with the Kennywood arrows......and there's plenty of eats around the hotel and one of the nicest continental breakfasts I have seen for a hotel.

is that the one that's on the Waterfront?

if yes, so close to the park, and LOTS of restaurants right there (and bars). . . we stayed there a couple of years ago.

is that the one that's on the Waterfront?

if yes, so close to the park, and LOTS of restaurants right there (and bars). . . we stayed there a couple of years ago.

No.....it is in the West Mifflin area.......kinda Southeast from the park.........http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/pennsylvania/hampton-inn-pittsburgh-west-mifflin-PITWMHX/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

I made a 3d overlay with the elevation data, so you can see the terrain height along the track layout.

and a version with orthographic projection: http://i.imgur.com/wg25adG.png

I still have no idea what's up with that mouse turn. I'm thinking it's between a brake run and a lift hill, though. It looks like this ride could just drop right from station height, like Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit do, or it could have a small lift hill. The elevation change going into that ravine is about 30 m (100 ft).

Edited by nannerdw

Wow! Great find! We can also use the Google overhead to get a feel for the proposed area (look for the buildings to the right of the current park/compare them to the plans). As can be seen, it looks like there will be yet another dramatic setting for another iconic coaster in Kennywood's near future!

Check it out

kw1.thumb.jpg.a63d547b497b0ea6aa4fb2e07a981cb1.jpg

Lots of space available space for a real doozy!

kw2.thumb.jpg.a3e9f4cfba874654b96c39c6636ed39f.jpg

The terrain looks as juicy as the Phantom area

k3.thumb.jpg.40ebbcbfeae4ef819942f4e11a3c0fff.jpg

The drop-off & overall ravine is big -- astounding potential for the proposed layout

kw4.thumb.jpg.f9bb398653e0031d001144afef206f3b.jpg

The area from the bridge outside the park

kw5.thumb.jpg.bd920bf9890030596c72110eefc5e6a1.jpg