Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Genx24 wrote:According to Harry over at Great Adventure History (a reputable source who works with the park), John Fitzgerald has resigned as Park President. No reason has been given, nor has an official announcement been made yet.

In my opinion this is a shame. The park was well on its way to becoming more well-rounded under Fitzgerald's leadership.

That would be a shame. He is a Jersey native and really into the park. John is a great guy and fun to interact with during media events. If he is leaving I hope it is on his own accord and wish him the best.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:09 pm

JRice92 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
JRice92 wrote:
El Toro_Ryan wrote:That's pretty common. Sometimes the anti-rollbacks go off the entire lift and the whole park can hear. Fun fact, each Toro train has two rollback dogs.

I love little facts like these. Thanks! On Toro's anti-rollbacks is there tires that spin to retract them up to make the lift silent?

Is that how it works on Millennium Force? When those things drop it sounds like the entire train is breaking apart. You can hear it from anywhere in the park.

Yes, there are 6 anti-rollback dogs on a Millennium train in pairs of 2 underneath car 1, car 4, & car 9. There's a separate tire for each rollback that spins a magnetic wheel causing the rollbacks to lift up. So when the train stops, a tire goes bald, or a tire goes flat the rollbacks drop and I agree it sounds like the train is falling apart lol. Or if the track is wet or it's raining the tires can slip causing the anti-rollbacks to drop at random spots going up the lift.

That's awesome! And yeah Toro's rollbacks work the same way. There are just less of them on a Toro train for whatever reason.

Genx24 wrote:According to Harry over at Great Adventure History (a reputable source who works with the park), John Fitzgerald has resigned as Park President. No reason has been given, nor has an official announcement been made yet.

In my opinion this is a shame. The park was well on its way to becoming more well-rounded under Fitzgerald's leadership.

Yeah for whatever reason, John felt it was his time to move on and let someone else step in. He's been the president of the park for 6 years I believe. But he was also the guy who closed the path between Ka and Toro :lmao:
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 303

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 am

El Toro_Ryan wrote:But he was also the guy who closed the path between Ka and Toro :lmao:

Hey now, everybody has their flaws.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:35 am

Such a shame, the last 6 years have brought so many general improvements to Great Adventure. Lets hope whoever steps in can continue that trend.
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Sluggo77 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Harry said that he thought the park would be in good hands moving forward.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:54 pm

I didn't realize that Fitzgerald was so instrumental in converting the Safari into what it is today. Harry seemed to indicate there was a good chance of the park losing the Safari if it didn't go through that transformation.

News came out that a new park president was announced for SFFT, so the current rumor is Neal Thurman (SFFT's former president) will be coming to New Jersey. I wouldn't mind that, SFFT has received great praise over the last couple of years.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:03 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:I didn't realize that Fitzgerald was so instrumental in converting the Safari into what it is today. Harry seemed to indicate there was a good chance of the park losing the Safari if it didn't go through that transformation.

News came out that a new park president was announced for SFFT, so the current rumor is Neal Thurman (SFFT's former president) will be coming to New Jersey. I wouldn't mind that, SFFT has received great praise over the last couple of years.

Fitzgerald was very concerned the park was playing with fire when it came to their wild animals. He was very aware of the incidents that happened over the years and insightful enough to not want someone jumping out of their own car to interact with the animals. He also had the business insight to know that the animals were a valuable asset that were under utilized as safari attendance dropped considerably over the years.

For years he has also been a proponent of a new baboon exhibit, to observe them up close behind glass, but who knows if that will ever happen.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:01 am

Game-Changing Thrill Ride to Debut at Six Flags Great Adventure in 2017 –
JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis

JACKSON, N.J. ─ September 1, 2016 ─ Six Flags Great Adventure, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, announces the addition of JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis to its world-class lineup of thrill rides in 2017. This multi-sensory, interactive dark ride received global recognition as the Best New Product by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, was named one of the Top Ten Amusement Park Attractions of the Year by USA Today readers and named Best New Attraction by Theme Park Insider.

“This ride is a game-changer and without question one of the most innovative, interactive and exciting attractions we have ever undertaken,” said Six Flags Great Adventure President Neal Thurman. “The world-class game play and cutting-edge technology will have guests fully engaged in non-stop action.”

In a high-stakes clash between good and evil, guests will become members of the Justice League Reserve team and engage in a full-sensory journey to save the city of Metropolis as they battle alongside Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Supergirl and Cyborg against Super Villains Lex Luthor and The Joker.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis features:
- 4D ride experience with wind, fire, mist and fog effects, plus life-like animatronic characters;
- Sleek, six-passenger, motion-platform cars that twist, tilt and spin while going through hairpin, 360-degree turns, all synched to the action on the screens;
- Intense virtual loop and barrel roll, giving riders the head-over-heels feeling;
- High definition, 3D animation that fully immerses riders into the city of Metropolis; and
- State-of-the-art, real-time gaming elements including 600 virtual and tangible targets.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis is expected to debut in the late spring of 2017. For more information about next season at Six Flags Great Adventure, visit https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/newfor2017

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:36 am

Wow!!! Looks like three parks are getting Justice League rides this year. SFGAdv, SFOG and SFMM.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 am

Definitely seems as if Six Flags is playing it very safe this year, sticking with established and tested properties and installations. I don't think this is a bad thing at all, and I'm quite looking forward to finally getting a chance to ride Justice League with my family in the 2017 season!
That coaster dad [308] and that coaster kiddo [159]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Twisted Timbers. Lightning Rod. Wicked Cyclone. The Wild One. Goliath (SFGAm).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!