TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

^^ Yeah they've been teasing with that #MoreysBuriedTreasure‬ hashtag for a couple of days. I saw last night they'd be posting something today:

moreysteaser.jpg.71a0f5d0c5580c22c46a7b9431c2803d.jpg

I'd to think its that GCI woodie but probably just a new flat. Hopefully not something to do with Nor'easters track work - even though I am really excited about that project after riding that horrid piece of sh*t the other weekend.

When I hear "new flat" at a corporate park I generally don't care, but when I hear "new flat" at Morey's that could potentially be amazing. "It" is proof of that. I love Great White and Flitzer and really enjoy the other coasters too (well except one... lol) but I think "It" is better than all of them. I'm excited to see what this is. Morey's doesn't screw around in the flat ride department.

When I hear "new flat" at a corporate park I generally don't care, but when I hear "new flat" at Morey's that could potentially be amazing. "It" is proof of that. I love Great White and Flitzer and really enjoy the other coasters too (well except one... lol) but I think "It" is better than all of them. I'm excited to see what this is. Morey's doesn't screw around in the flat ride department.

Agreed, Morey's Flat selection is second only to Knoebels in my book.

Agreed, Morey's Flat selection is second only to Knoebels in my book.

I would absolutely agree with that. At least in the U.S.

I love Great White and Flitzer and really enjoy the other coasters too (well except one... lol)

So you are saying you really enjoyed Rollies Coaster?

And you are totally right. Its hard not to have hopes for a coaster since we haven't gotten a major one for 20 years and they've teased that GCI for ages. Most of the recent flats have been great - I love KONG, It, Riptide, Atmosfear, etc. I'm sure whatever it is will be awesome.

And yeah I know by definition we're all coaster enthusiasts and some coaster enthusiasts are totally cool to hang out with, but have you ever been to an enthusiast event? It's horrible. I swear to god I don't know where they find most of these people.

I have been to enthusiast events, and I completely agree with you! Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing there! However, my desire for ERT often outweighs my desire to avoid all the weirdos!

Also, I'm glad to hear that PPP isn't so enthusiast heavy, or exclusive. I hope I can make it out there for the first time this year!

I love Great White and Flitzer and really enjoy the other coasters too (well except one... lol)

So you are saying you really enjoyed Rollies Coaster?

Honestly Rollies Coaster was kind of fun. I mean, it's a Pinfari. They never deliver overly thrilling rides (well, except that one time... ) but it was fun and even though the restraints were dumb as hell I didn't find it uncomfortable.

Damn, I lost. You suck.

I mean, it's a Pinfari. They never deliver overly thrilling rides (well, except that one time... )

Oh man oh man oh man Post of the Year Candidate

I'm glad someone appreciates my bull***

Edited by coasterbill

Sorry for the double post but wanted to remind anyone who cares that you can retry to enter the contest every 12 hours. The missus just tried again after losing yesterday and she just won! So we have two free combo passes on the way. Woot!

Related, Moreys has also buried actual boxes with tickets in them all up and down the South Jersey beach from Ventnor to Cape May. They marked each location with little shovels sticking out of the sand. Moreys has been reposting people that have been finding them and posting photos online. Check out their Facebook. What a fantastic marketing campaign!

-Apologies for the double post-

After a few years of talking about doing it, earlier this year I bit the bullet on tickets for Moreys "Breakfast In The Sky" experience on their Giant Wheel, which if you are unfamiliar, is described on their website "a picnic in the sky complete with white linens and china with culinary delights created by our Executive Chef, Wally Jurusz."

Here's a little video about the experience uploaded by the piers.

I spotted tickets during an annual Easter sale and managed to save about 30%. Once I received the vouchers in the mail I was to call the piers and reserve a date and time, as they only have the experience on weekend mornings before the piers open for operation, and only during mid-July to mid-August. One stipulation - surely to ensure timely boardings and gondola turnovers was that we had to choose our entrees when we reserved our date/time, which was weird because how do you know what what you're going to want to eat for breakfast three months out? We wound up choosing what we thought might be "safer" items we felt we typically enjoy. I got the Steak & Egg Scramble while my better half ordered the Jersey Tomato BLT with Fried Egg.

01.jpg.6213f51b968d53d3aa245efd6f68e2d1.jpg

Menu screenshot from the Moreys site

Our reserved day was finally upon us this past weekend. We lucked out with perfect weather and headed down from Philly to the Jersey Shore bright and early on Saturday to arrive by our 9am reservation time, strolling onto Mariners Pier to the early morning sights and sounds of workers firing up kiddie rides for testing.

02.thumb.jpg.e588b20b8c31760e70efbd26d3a9fba4.jpg

We'll be eating breakfast up there.

Upon approaching the back of the pier we spotted a check in table surrounded by benches occupied by other hungry guests. We were immediately greeted, asked if we needed one last bathroom break (they warn you when you reserve you can't get on/off during the 45-60 minutes you'll be on the Wheel) and were seated in our gondola within 5 minutes of arriving.

And this is when the amazement of just how well of a well oiled machine this entire operation is. They have really thought of just about everything.

03.thumb.jpg.57e2a0c4e7b8917867ed1e50fe2a78e0.jpg

You are seated first and they quickly fold out and snap into place your table, and cover it with a white linen table cloth. From there, one by one workers stop past each with something different: a bucket of bottled water/juice on ice, a bread basket overflowing with different types of toast and croissants, butter and jam, a condiment basket with salt/pepper/ketchup/hot sauce/honey/faux flowers, a small glass candle holder-turned-trash bin, and of course to offer us some coffee (one cup each or an entire carafe?).

04.thumb.jpg.9fb2c3c5d8547f0ec033140a44f60857.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.66981b60849d4ab7c7a152a4574bdfed.jpg

"Trash bin"

06.thumb.jpg.279187ca8232afb30c9977ec540d5897.jpg

Bread basket

We were also asked if we wanted our photo taken with one of our phones (of course we do!)

07.thumb.jpg.df87725080b79e88cfdb2e4744449292.jpg

Finally our covered entrees came out and at that point the head manager of the whole operation stopped by to ask if we had everything we needed, and to offer us a card with her cell phone number in case of any emergency and joked she's prefer if we didn't throw anything off of The Wheel in effort to get their attention.

08.thumb.jpg.878c0082379d189c76dfb8d29fb6556a.jpg

Entrees - Jersey Tomato BLT & Steak & Egg Scramble.

09.thumb.jpg.b14a53f2f697dbe5d224102cdb3830c4.jpg

Toasted Sourdough, Crisp Lancaster County Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Herb Mayo, Home Fries

10.thumb.jpg.ec543c060980db1b7f8464a6ad8ce595.jpg

Three Eggs, Cuban Spiced Fillet Tips, Onions, Peppers and Queso Blanco, Home Fries & Toast

11.thumb.jpg.5939312bbd51d87b5a11a4717235b912.jpg

Super yummy croissants

She also explained we wouldn't be moving the entire time, that as they loaded other guests we would stop at three points on the wheel before we would return to unload. And with that she motioned to the operator booth and he dispatched us - immediately right to the very top!

12.thumb.jpg.0d35684165fe1f1d3327bca0221e5044.jpg

Sea Serpent got a new entrance sign this year

13.thumb.jpg.7d38a6147d5977f57231d2ce71b21190.jpg

Lifeguard roll call

14.thumb.jpg.16de59d38a52efe7e78567648a930ffa.jpg

Workers cranking up the rides for testing

So, the food. We both thought everything was absolutely excellent. Completely exceeded our expectations. Of course when you are eating breakfast at 156 feet in the air its hard not to take 1000 pictures of everything around you, but we did manage to put our phones down long enough to scarf down almost everything on the table.

15.thumb.jpg.eabcdc12586bf4d703b22e24e1605cae.jpg

You can see all the way to the back bay from up here

16.thumb.jpg.e4b60f454288a7ec9bafb9bee1020a4e.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.cd24a53d1033192a9295bb1f475cccc7.jpg

Good morning Great White, we'll be riding you later.

As mentioned we got to check out the morning awakening of Mariners Pier, with workers testing rides & the waterpark coming alive with the lifeguards' morning roll call and the first few guests arriving and populating the park. We actually wished we had brought bathing suits with us to go right into the waterpark after - its been a while and it just looked so enticing!

18.thumb.jpg.d7255e5b17e9ff367f257845df2df8ff.jpg

The Giant Wheel is one of the tallest structures on the island so you can see quite far

19.thumb.jpg.cd4eadce1a631c4f1c83258c3187f76a.jpg

Across the horizon

20.thumb.jpg.2ed95cb320a2988b5d36c9c29b987932.jpg

A few afterthoughts: We were on the wheel just under an hour, and felt the experience was over so fast! We joked with the workers while unloading that we would happily go back up for a couple more hours. They laughed and informed us they only had two open slots the rest of the weekend. We did agree that while they advertise that they can accommodate up to 4 people per gondola that it may not have been comfortable with four people since the table takes up so much space. We also thought it would have been nice if they allowed BYOB but I understand why they wouldn't. We did joke about bringing along a flask with some vodka to mix with our juice but we couldn't be bothered and were happy we didn't since we probably would have slept all day. Its a completely unique experience and totally worth the cost. We will absolutely do this at least once a summer. Next time we're doing the waterpark right after.

21.thumb.jpg.5debf44df76d4988c6e043ff62c631e9.jpg

Panorama

After our awesome breakfast we poked around on the boardwalk near Mariners and shopped a bit before heading to my moms for some afternoon beers and relaxation before returning to the boardwalk in the evening for some dinner (Macks Pizza, duh), cleaning out some cranes @ Gateway 26, pounding some stiff Oranges Crushes at my new favorite bar in WW Joe's Fish Co (we also tried their crab dip - WTF so good) and to hit a couple rides: IT, Zoom Phloom, The Great White, and Screamin' Swing.

22.thumb.jpg.e59a87013f1a4e3b86e248297b38d0e1.jpg

Boardwalk was crowded Saturday night

23.thumb.jpg.375004f33c7e26dc0dc0535181a2b255.jpg

24.thumb.jpg.5f6fa4c400a379ac2d1f0da38da45c8e.jpg

This ride is incredible.

25.thumb.jpg.50aeb1539c65b67b88444cbf06aeeaba.jpg

Picked up this sweet nerdy Great White shirt I've been eyeing up since last year

The rides were all running awesome - IT is easily my favorite ride in Wildwood at the moment, we got grouped with two hilarious teenage girls on the Zoom Phloom and got SOAKED, and The Great White was running like an absolute bat out of hell late Saturday night. Seriously WTF are they feeding that thing.

27.thumb.jpg.ed9bfaa4db479487d09fffc3cab74232.jpg

Stopped for some imbibing at Joe's Fish Co.

28.thumb.jpg.0b276e6c408c96cf72a2592e0d811e9f.jpg

View from Joe's rooftop bar.

Overall a great day in Wildwood, as usual.

29.thumb.jpg.1f8880a24b40717b726d721252aba9d4.jpg

Goodnight yall.

That looks like a pretty sweet deal. We'll be booking that for sure next year. I think it's hilarious how much they need to beat it into people that they can't use the bathroom on the wheel. It says it in a prominent spot on the website and marketing materials too which means it must come up a lot. People are f**king idiots, I swear.

LOL I'm sure its an issue for them since it was mentioned on the website, on the voucher we received via mail, by the woman who took our reservation over the phone, in our confirmation email, and then when we checked in Saturday.

Yes Rock N Roll goes in both directions.

Also, no real need to worry about lines. Moreys is kinda like Dorney in that respect. When they are long, its like 15-20 minutes, and thats really just for the flume, the giant wheel, and for the 3 big coasters. Even holiday weekends it never gets worse than that.