TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
Came across this while on Facebook. Aerial footage of Geauga Lake, although nothing new, thought it was interesting enough to share. The video is about 6 minutes long.

Wow! This would be a perfect location to film an episode of The Walking Dead.

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing Michigan's Adventure's newest addition becoming quite... the sensation, I realized that over time, Michigan's Adventure seems to have finally overcome, for the most part, it's overgrown, marshy appearances from its earlier days (not to mention the lack of trees). Which reminded me a bit of a question that has been plaguing me for the past week... has Cedar Fair literally forgotten it owns Wildwater Kingdom? Because looking at recent pictures of the park, especially in the past two years, even the public sections are starting to become overgrown. The area where the large lakeside stadium used to be located, and the hillside surrounding the wave pool are the two public sections in particular that have got my attention.

118304510_StagnantwaterKingdom.thumb.png.1c53cb3b400fca8afba79c707393f287.png

Aerial of Wildwater Kingdom on September 10th, 2015

I keep expecting them to close the park eventually and divide the assets up to other parks (the Thunder Falls slide complex still would be a stand-out addition at any park it would be relocated to, I believe), a la 2007 amusement section closing, but they keep affirming that it is very popular, despite the fact it's been so long since they have added a new water attraction. (10 years) Even more confusing is that Cedar Fair sold the two standalone Soak Cities, and yet not Wildwater Kingdom. The only theory I can come up with is Cedar Fair cannot make their mind up whether to update Wildwater Kingdom and close down their own Soak City up in Sandusky for more park expansion, or close Wildwater Kingdom down to send the slides to the other parks. But even that is a big stretch, since at least Soak City got a new addition back in 2012.

I still go to WWK every season,. and they are doing a pretty nice job with it. They have a lot of small events with local radio stations and such. They added the dining plan as well, and that seemed to be pretty popular with passholders.

I would guess that a reason they sold the soak city properties already had to do with taxes and operational costs. I think it's much cheaper to operate a park in Ohio than California.

After seeing Michigan's Adventure's newest addition becoming quite... the sensation, I realized that over time, Michigan's Adventure seems to have finally overcome, for the most part, it's overgrown, marshy appearances from its earlier days (not to mention the lack of trees). Which reminded me a bit of a question that has been plaguing me for the past week... has Cedar Fair literally forgotten it owns Wildwater Kingdom? Because looking at recent pictures of the park, especially in the past two years, even the public sections are starting to become overgrown. The area where the large lakeside stadium used to be located, and the hillside surrounding the wave pool are the two public sections in particular that have got my attention.

[attachment=0]Stagnantwater Kingdom.png[/attachment]

I keep expecting them to close the park eventually and divide the assets up to other parks (the Thunder Falls slide complex still would be a stand-out addition at any park it would be relocated to, I believe), a la 2007 amusement section closing, but they keep affirming that it is very popular, despite the fact it's been so long since they have added a new water attraction. (10 years) Even more confusing is that Cedar Fair sold the two standalone Soak Cities, and yet not Wildwater Kingdom. The only theory I can come up with is Cedar Fair cannot make their mind up whether to update Wildwater Kingdom and close down their own Soak City up in Sandusky for more park expansion, or close Wildwater Kingdom down to send the slides to the other parks. But even that is a big stretch, since at least Soak City got a new addition back in 2012.

Cedar Fair owns 500 acres in and around Geauga Lake, they are paying roughly 800,000 in taxes on just the Aurora side, which is dead. I don't think WWK will die until at least something is done on the Aurora side. Bainbridge is where WWK sits. At this point, keeping WWK at minimum is offsetting some of the taxes they incur with the 500+ acres. No one is buying this whole lot in the forseeable future, Meijer wants a piece, 40 acres I think, which is actually some of the old parking lot and some unused land next to it. Still leaves quite a bit of undeveloped property/old amusement park. Frankly, it leaves all of it.

• 4 months later...

So there's increasing volume on the rumor that WWK is going to be closed after this year and the slides dispersed to other CF parks (Valleyfair, Cedar Point). This is your reminder that roughly 2 million annual theme park visits were lost from 2000 from a combination of CSAs totaling around 6 million people. Not shifted, not moved to Cedar Point or Kings Island, but basically vaporized.

Why dont they break the land up into smaller parcels and dump it

Because there's no demand for land requiring clean up and demolition in the Cleveland suburbs. Six Flags may have screwed up royally by demolishing Astroworld when it was still turning a profit, but at least they were smart enough to line up a buyer first.

The rumor of WWK closing has been around since they closed the ride side (10 years already next year!). We'll know for sure if season passes are not offered for 2017.

On a side note, with the increase of Hollywood filming in Northeast Ohio, there is talk of building movie soundstages somewhere in Northeast Ohio and the Geauga Lake property is one of a few potential locations being considered.

The rumor of WWK closing has been around since they closed the ride side (10 years already next year!). We'll know for sure if season passes are not offered for 2017.

On a side note, with the increase of Hollywood filming in Northeast Ohio, there is talk of building movie soundstages somewhere in Northeast Ohio and the Geauga Lake property is one of a few potential locations being considered.

You know, I'm torn. There's some NIMBYs who hated the place, but part of the hate was built into the lack of infrastructure present in the area for such a large theme park. And ultimately, they didn't kill the park; Six Flags, Busch, and Cedar Fair played specific, different roles to make that happen by killing off the demand for it. There's a lot of bad parks out there, but as bad as (new) Elitch Gardens is, it was never so bad that it killed the very idea of the amusement/theme park in Denver.

So there's increasing volume on the rumor that WWK is going to be closed after this year and the slides dispersed to other CF parks (Valleyfair, Cedar Point). This is your reminder that roughly 2 million annual theme park visits were lost from 2000 from a combination of CSAs totaling around 6 million people. Not shifted, not moved to Cedar Point or Kings Island, but basically vaporized.

Cedar Point is announcing a water park expansion. Countdown to Geauga closing might as well begin now....

Cedar Point is announcing a water park expansion. Countdown to Geauga closing might as well begin now....

Hmmm... A good point, that I hadn't really thought about much until now! This whole debacle is still such a shame to me... Que sera sera..

Here's hoping they just sell WWK to someone who would like to operate the waterpark instead of closing it. It really doesn't compete with Soak City. WWK is the local water park where as Soak City is more of the "destination" water park, mainly used to extend stays on Point as a second gate.

• 2 weeks later...

Wildwater Kingdom bites the dust.

This comes from Wildwater Kingdom's official website.

600681_10150942074204640_981291668_n.jpg.4c647d7cc3aa9dec55fea2616e215f82.jpg

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company announced today that Wildwater Kingdom water park in Aurora, Ohio, will not reopen after the 2016 season. Its final day of operation will be Monday, September 5.

Cedar Fair has been working cooperatively with both Bainbridge Township and the City of Aurora to redevelop the entire property into what will best benefit the surrounding communities. After examining its long-range plans, Cedar Fair has determined that the time is right to begin this transition and will continue to work together with community leadership in the positive future development of the property.

Cedar Fair would like to thank the residents of Northeast Ohio for supporting Wildwater Kingdom each summer.

Webpage link: https://www.wildwaterfun.com/media-center/wildwater-kingdom-update

Edited by jedimaster1227

So they are finally putting the final nail in the Geauga Lake coffin. Long overdue. They didn't seem to do much in trying to get people to visit the park.

I don't expect them to sell it anyone else to keep it going. I'm sure that lakefront property would sell for a nice price for some condos. It's in better condition than the ride side.

If you combine this with the tornado slide that got removed from Knotts, there are a couple of good slides up for grabs now. Also, I cant help but wonder if this is related to the rumored debt coming due that Cedar Fair has.

Maybe... MAYBE...

We can move Big Dipper to the wave pool and open it as the world's first "Wooden Water Coaster!!!"

Huh? Huh??? How's THAT for an idea????

Yessssss!!!

Let me go start a fund raising page, we'll get a bunch of people with hammers and pick up trucks and we'll get this done!!!

It's a good idea, right? RIGHT????

http://savethebigdipper.com