TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europe 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

Amazing TR so far. Looking forward to see more (slides of death FTW!)!

As some Phantasialand employees are riding Taron as I type, did you consider asking them (Phantasialand) for a little sneak-peek?

edit: welcome back to Germany, btw.

Edited by FirstDropJay

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am absolutely loving this TR!

About the Efteling fanboys, they remind me a bit of many Gardaland fanboys I see- according to them there is no ride in the world that is better than any ride at Gardaland.

(to them: Blue Tornado (Gardaland's Vekoma SLC)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Katun (Mirabilandia's B&M Invert)

Either way, there's crappy fanbases everywhere. Just gotta shrug your shoulders and move on. Nothing we can really do.

So what countries are you gonna stop by after Holland?

Added our Lost Gravity video to the trip report:

Very cool video. The little bump on the first airtime hill is clearly visible from the riders cam. But I hardly noticed it while riding. Still wondering if they'll go for a different fix eventually.

Edited by robbalvey

Added our Lost Gravity video to the trip report:

Very cool video. The little bump on the first airtime hill is clearly visible from the riders cam. But I hardly noticed it while riding. Still wondering if they'll go for a different fix eventually.

I don't even know what "little bump" you are talking about. Do you mean the pop of airtime? It's amazing. Why would they want to "fix" that?

And here's why I don't give a crap about what a bunch of Dutch roller coaster nerds have to say...1483700755_ScreenShot2016-06-20at15_33_36.thumb.png.b9006b624a9d9c2f6fcb4128d206c59e.pngWe posted that video just 4 hours ago and it already has 65,000 views with over 5,000 reactions only FOUR of them being negative. We simply do not cater to "coaster enthusiasts" as much as we cater to a general park-loving audience. If a bunch of die-hard coaster geeks love our videos, GREAT, but if they want to hate on our videos/opinions/whatever, we just do not care. They aren't our target audience.

All these pictures and reports are wonderful. The only thing that makes me sad is that I wish Six Flags and Cedar Fair would have at least half the theming that some of these parks have. They all look like a lot of fun. I would love to get over there one day.

ClZfHJ5UoAAjQeo.jpg

Today we visited the cute "Potts Park" in Germany! Home to a bunch of funky awesome "operate it yourself" rides!

ClZih4sXEAAAOmC.jpg

ClZih6JWgAUyeDH.jpg

ClZih6lWYAAljR7.jpg

ClZih9PWYAE2Ksr.jpg

ClZfHJ9UYAQZjrJ.jpg

Potts Park's star attraction was this interesting powered suspended "you control the speed" coaster.

ClZnpgoWYAAqOgm.jpg

ClZnpgnWAAA3jLg.jpg

ClZnpgoWYAEKEqS.jpg

ClZnpjtXEAAa09k.jpg

The "operate it yourself" Boat Jumping ride is always a popular attraction at these little German parks!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

ClZ3SkyUkAAVHnm.jpg

ClZ3StYUkAQvH9a.jpg

ClZ3SwRUsAA5Ixj.jpg

ClZ3TBRUYAAy0Ot.jpg

We of course had to do the Bunny Ride at Potts Park!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

ClaFBC3WIAInzJq.jpg

ClaFBC0WAAALpx2.jpg

ClaFCKIWAAAvoZj.jpg

They had some pretty awesome "slides of death!"

[twitter]

[/twitter]

ClaM2ayWMAA36lI.jpg

ClaM2bmWYAAOjRu.jpg

German Currywurst and pretzels! I love being back in this country!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Clabif-XIAEjQXt.jpg

ClabigAWkAA5zz-.jpg

ClabighWgAAL_68.jpg

ClabihJWAAAtKo1.jpg

Oh yeah, there was also a full-sized junior coaster here, but this is a park where it's more than just a "credit!"

ClanvlUWMAgJKDK.jpg

ClanvlTXEAAaZ5C.jpg

ClanvlUWEAAVlFI.jpg

ClanvnJWIAAIBcx.jpg

Let's just say that "walking on stilts" didn't go over so well...

ClasHj8WYAA426C.jpg

ClasHj-WMAALeki.jpg

ClasHj-WQAAFIpg.jpg

ClasHkLXEAEWLpU.jpg

A few of the other fun family rides at Potts Park. Most of them self-operated or self powered.

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Cla3w_XWEAAHZOQ.jpg

Cla3w_WWEAErZq2.jpg

Cla3w_XWgAAGzf-.jpg

Cla3xAMXEAETlwt.jpg

One of the bathrooms was some sort of "toilet museum" with all kinds of weird bathroom artwork & displays!

Cla5tUQXIAAyZ1O.jpg

Cla5tURXIAA8Ns4.jpg

Cla5txWWkAAA6yY.jpg

Cla5txgWkAQiIb1.jpg

There was an indoor science center filled with little hands-on displays for kids to play with. It was really cool!

Cla6Uk0XIAEMo2d.jpg

Cla6UmaXIAQMV3O.jpg

Cla6UsoWMAASLDs.jpg

Cla6UvoWEAEhpiG.jpg

Playing around in the Water Garden at Potts Park. It's not warm outside but we didn't care!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

ClbANf6WAAAN17q.jpg

What a great fun little family park! We love parks like this. Such a nice balance from bigger theme parks!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Pott's Park, "PARK OF THE FUTURE" (circa 1930). Still, looks pretty fun. Maybe they need to look at the Green Dragon coaster in Snowdonia, which is lifted to the top of the lift hill by the weight of the guests. Means the coaster essentially doesn't need electricity (but absolutely knackers the guests).

ClZfHJ5UoAAjQeo.jpg

Today we visited the cute "Potts Park" in Germany! Home to a bunch of funky awesome "operate it yourself" rides!

jpg[/img]

Laughing out loud at all the fun you guys were having at the 'do-it-yourself' Potts Park, brought back my memory of an old Mark Twain quote: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

You can have the VERY, VERY best time in the SIMPLEST of parks. When it comes to good times, "size DOESN'T matter!" (That said, I think every city in the U.S. should have its OWN Potts Park! Maybe we can get it on the political referendums for 2016!)

And, while we're at it, Ban Roller Coaster Wars!!!

I think these kinds of parks would be great for the non-exercising adults, too. (i.e. me)

I mean, really have FUN, while you power everything up with your body, feet, arms, etc.

Looks like you guys are having a blast around Europe! Great TR's so far, keep them coming.

And the Dutch fanboys are some of the worst i know. Most of the times they just go too far, it makes me sad being Dutch myself sometimes.

Now let's get back to having fun in the USA myself!

Awesome stuff so far, as always. That last park looks awesome - I wanna Boat Jump!

You might lose your love of Skull Mountain after you experience real air time on a boat jump

Never!

I don't get why a park wouldn't have their express pass shops open, especially one that offers them online in advance. Surely even when it's quiet the option should be there since I bet there are people willing to spend their money regardless. Most parks I've visited when it would be fairly quiet and I've looked into buying one the staff have told me I may not need it if I wanted to save money and advised me on expected wait-times but still allowed me the option of buying one.

I think these kinds of parks would be great for the non-exercising adults, too. (i.e. me)

I mean, really have FUN, while you power everything up with your body, feet, arms, etc.

NRTHWND -

I so totally agree with you!!! I HATE standard exercise, but even as an aging baby boomer, I LOVE adventurous activities. I can really see a park like Potts taking off among fun-minded adults. PLUS being a perfect way of keeping the body agile. Kick-scooters have caught on very big in the city, and taking mine down hills is a fun way of simulating skiing - my fave sport. Down with gyms! Up with adventure parks!

Alice

Holy schnikes... what an amazing series of TRs. The one for Walibi probably impressed me the most. Lost Gravity looks amazing, with its ability to combine great airtime elements with inversions, and I like the little SkyRush-esque thing they have goin' on with those trains.

Alas, these are great parks that I'll probably never be able to visit, at least for a long time. But hey, it definitely beats shouting into the aether like a bunch of buffoons.

You can follow our trip LIVE on Twitter:

Today was Heide Park. I'm going to rant for a little bit here...

I wish I could report that we had an awesome day at this park as we have during several visit in the past. But it was really just "ok" today. The park most certainly seems to be shifting from a really nice family-oriented park to becoming the "Thorpe Park of Germany." First of all, the lack of use of their virtual queue system or any of the single rider lines saying their reasoning was "it's not a busy day" when lines for the major attractions were between 30-90 minutes all day today was just very annoying. Why would you NOT run your upcharge virtual queue system??? It makes the park money!!!

The ops were also not amazing. We saw quite a bit of line jumping than in the past. And overall, it was just a day that wasn't without frustration. The park still looks really nice and they have a decent selection of rides, but it really *felt* like a very different park, and I'm not sure I like this new direction. Anyway, onto some photos...

ClfSHJDWMAE8CKf.jpg

ClfSHJOWkAA22SD.jpg

ClfSHJEXIAEtQk6.jpg

So today we visited @HeideParkResort. Beautifully landscaped park with some decent coasters.

ClfTD1EWQAAatvW.jpg

ClfTD1PWMAUEIGq.jpg

ClfTD1CWYAU11yp.jpg

ClfTD6iWMAA2Gu8.jpg

Rode Krake @HeideParkResort during hotel ERT and it's awesome! Yes it's short but it's a really good Dive Coaster!

ClfWTLlWkAAX6kk.jpg

ClfWTLiWkAAjTsw.jpg

ClfWTMbWEAEDIze.jpg

ClfWTMSWkAAGAF-.jpg

Love the theming on Krake! The water splash & airtime are great too!

ClfYtZNWkAAg-Jr.jpg

I'm all for rides where you get eaten by a sea monster! lol Love this theming!

Clfc3dwWEAAjEZ4.jpg

The wait time for Colossos @HeideParkResort is up to 60 minutes. Express & single rider lines closed. WHY???!

Clfczk6WQAAUcsY.jpg

Clfczk3WYAEb2Nq.jpg

Clfczl5WgAI97zy.jpg

Virtual queue @HeideParkResort was closed due to "low crowds" but major rides were 30-90 min. Park was packed.

Clfc-RcWMAA0IIm.jpg

Clfc-R-WYAAT2iz.jpg

Clfc-g1XEAQAhKt.jpg

Clfc-fJXEAALWa3.jpg

Colossos was a bit bumpier but still a great ride! Wish we didn't have to wait 60 min though.

ClfguBRWQAAzxG8.jpg

Limit was closed today @HeideParkResort. Not that some of us really minded.

ClfhLThWMAAa2d0.jpg

The "wurst station" is right in front of the SLC! How fitting! lol

Clfi9oeXIAA6q84.jpg

Clfi9ojWgAEqsCk.jpg

Line for Desert Race was insane. Shame the virtual queue was closed. I skipped this one.

Clfj1wsWIAAM_4B.jpg

Clfj1woXIAA9g94.jpg

Kristen had fun on the driving school!

ClfmP9bWgAA_sgy.jpg

There not a sign saying you can't go in the water so this is fine, right?

ClfpNDEWIAA3KUO.jpg

Is this basically advertising "come bang your chick in a VW bus an the holiday camp???" They used to advertize the holiday came to families to come and "camp out" and now it seems like they are pushing it like a spring break-like teenage hook-up camp.

Clfsd5tUgAAjAzl.jpg

Clfsd54VAAAVAIX.jpg

Clfsd6vVEAAwaWI.jpg

Clfsd8eVAAEMSro.jpg

We checked out the "shaggin wagons" @HeideParkResort holiday camp and it's just a bed in the back of the car! Rent by the hour? lol But seriously, this is a perfect example of the "new direction" the park feels like it's going in. The holiday camp was just filled with young people drinking and partying. It didn't seem "Family friendly" at all.

ClfvoxXWMAAjwKX.jpg

ClfvoynXEAAQ_vv.jpg

The slides @HeideParkResort are still pretty awesome!

ClfvwZpWgAEqz2M.jpg

ClfvwgNWgAAoxX8.jpg

ClfvwgyWkAAwVYJ.jpg

ClfvwhOWAAAxtj_.jpg

The new ride/area @HeideParkResort this year was an existing boat ride re-themed to How to Train Your Dragon.

1805849265_sarahdragon.thumb.jpg.b1fae257e9a5b687117edf6fbfc9a3ab.jpg

Sarah got her pic with Toothless and these other dudes. Now she has German lice! lol

ClfvrHoWEAA_ivx.jpg

ClfvrIHXEAEy4Bt.jpg

ClfvrIMWIAAjQa2.jpg

ClfvrIFXEAAD9TJ.jpg

Some views of @HeideParkResort from the sky tower!

Clfz0HQXEAA1LQu.jpg

Now *THAT* is an awesomely themed B&M Dive Machine! OMNOMNOM!!!

Clf3Y1yWEAQbU-2.jpg

There's not a sign that says "no climbing on roller coaster" so according to Internet logic we can do it right?

Clf9IgZUsAEk1sP.jpg

Clf9IhQUsAAkJnO.jpg

Clf9IhPUgAE62-6.jpg

Clf9InWVAAAaUv9.jpg

The park is very pretty & well landscaped. Again, I wish more US parks looked like this.

Clf_xNbVYAMfx5S.jpg

Clf_xNbUoAEn-bF.jpg

Clf_xNbVAAEEuxL.jpg

Clf_xSQVYAADz39.jpg

We rode "Big Loop." We got line jumped by these two kids because the station is a confusing mess. And yes, that a picture showing how the loading gates don't match up with the train. People kept trying to get into wrong seats, etc. It was just a total mess.

Clf_zNLUsAEEvhn.jpg

This is the shortest the Colossos line has been all day. 30 minutes. Why isn't @HeideParkResort using their Q-Bot?

[twitter]

/status/745345743985086466[/twitter]

ClgEL6BWIAAah3j.jpg

ClgEL6EXIAAE6qC.jpg

ClgEL-GWEAAkPX1.jpg

ClgEL-IWEAAr_Fr.jpg

A few pics of the newish Wing Rider @HeideParkResort. It's on par with all the other B&M Wing Riders.

ClgGH2PXIAAGuT0.jpg

Was an interesting visit to @HeideParkResort. Park seems to be catering less to families than in the past. Not sure I'm a huge fan of this new direction.

You can follow our trip LIVE on Twitter:

Edited by robbalvey

That's just stupid.. Why even have a Q-bot system then? Heide-Park really looks more and more like a one-and-done park, sadly. Still some great themed areas and as you mention, decent rides.. Still really wouldn't bother to go down there anytime soon. Are you heading for Hansa Park and Schwur des Kärnan anytime soon? In that case, enjoy a ride that'll kick your butts!

^^ Sad to read about your not-so-great visit to Heide Park, Robb. I always hoped someday, I'd be able to

do a return visit to it, as it was a great experience during past visits. Now, I'm not so sure, with

what your reported.