TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

Better than nothing! I'm looking forward to checking it out. Saw the one at SFSTL, but didn't get to ride it. Indiana Beach has so much potential. Even in it's recent state (2014, 2015) I really enjoyed my time there. Except their "world's best tacos". The worst tacos I've ever had and yeah......I've eaten a lot of tacos

As a central Indiana resident, I have never been to the park and it wasn't until about 6 months after I became an enthusiast that I realized it wasn't on Lake Michigan. Still have no plans to go, only has two coasters that peak my interests, Steel Hawg and Cornball Express, and I have heard by tons of GP friends that it is just overall under kept and even disgusting. This is coming from those who worship Kings Island and Holiday World and how Diamondback and Thunderbird are the best coasters in the world, so I take it for some grain of salt. (just clarifying I love both coasters and both are obviously in my top 10, as well as both parks are in my top 5)

^You should find some time to check it out this year. It is a great little park that badly needed the type of TLC it seems to be receiving now. Steel Hawg is fun, if not spectacular but Cornball Express is just plain awesome. Filled with airtime and is just one of those rides that is really really fun. It is definitely worth the trip by itself.

Believe it or not I am sort of happy for the Larson Loop just because I've actually never ridden one and now one is opening near me. (I've seen some at carnivals and fairs but I never went on them for some reason). I feel Larson Loops are getting a bad name just because parks label them as coasters, but as a flat ride they do look fun. I enjoy looping starships and Aero 360 so I think I will like it.

If you like those, you'll like the Larson Loop. I went on Brain Drain at Frontier City last year and I liked it, but it was too much for me, and I felt queasy afterward. I know I'm pretty sensitive to spinning/flipping rides though, so if you're not, you really will enjoy it. They're well made and not at all a carnival level of quality.

I'm kind of on the fence myself about Indiana Beach. I'm going to be in the area in a few weeks, and the positive comments as well as the Larson Loop addition have me seriously thinking about stopping by. I'll be driving from Michigan City, In. (as far as I think I can drive after a full day at Michigan's Adventure) to the Springfield Mo. area in one day, so that doesn't leave a lot of time (it's about a 9 hour drive). It is theoretically possible, though. Steel Hawg would be my first El Loco, and those look really cool. Plus Cornball Express and Fascination, and I think I'm talking myself into it. Could everything be done in, say, 3 hours?

I think that this is a great addition for IB!

Given that the park already has that "carnival midway feel" to it, I think that a Larson Loop will go over well - I'm glad to see the park adding new attractions.

Now if they added a Skydiver, Zipper and Rock-O-Plane...that would really be awesome!

Now if they added a Skydiver, Zipper and Rock-O-Plane...that would really be awesome!

Yes, yes, and yes!

And one of these.... (if they don't have one, already)

SaltPepperShakers.jpg.2553a7996542225429a372d3e0e1cae3.jpg

Don't forget to ride Tigr'r when you visit. People never mention it when talking about the park and they probably pass it up when visiting, but it's a great classic Schwarzkopf that shouldn't be missed.

• 3 weeks later...

^ and ^^: Yup, the Turbo. Chance made it in the 1970's IIRC. I just got word that there was one operating at a fair in Ávalos, Mexico (just east of Chihuahua) last year, and there might be another one at some other park in Mexico and possibly one in Panama. There's also one or two being restored right now, but those are the only ones I'm aware of (they originally made a few dozen of them.)

Looks like Indiana Beach will be getting two new rides this year:

http://www.indianabeach.com/news#13

Cap'n Crow's Bumper Boats Will Make a Splash at Indiana Beach this Summer

Monticello, IN - May 10, 2016 Indiana Beach Boardwalk Resort is excited to announce the addition of Cap’n Crow’s Bumper Boats for the 90th Anniversary season. The bumper boat attraction will replace the former “Splash Battle” ride on the Boardwalk Funway.

The colorful and fun Cap’n Crow’s Bumper Boats will allow guests to be the captain of their own boat as they cruise the waters searching for others to bump. Each boat is outfitted with a water sprayer that can soak an opponent from 10 feet away. Up to 12 bumper boats at a time will battle each other for a thrilling guest experience.

“Indiana Beach is thrilled to add Cap’n Crows Bumper Boats as another fun and exciting ride for our guests to enjoy,” said John Collins, Indiana Beach Boardwalk Resorts General Manager. “Many improvements and upgrades have been completed throughout the park for Indiana Beach’s 90th anniversary season. Adding Cap’n Crow’s Bumper Boats shows our commitment in providing our guests more fun and more value.”

Cap’n Crow’s Bumper Boats were manufactured by J&J Amusements, the industry’s largest manufacturer of bumper boats. Cap’n Crow’s Bumper Boats will be located on the south island on Indiana Beach’s and utilize an existing water ride pond area formerly occupied by Splash Battle.

Indiana Beach opens for the 2016 season on Friday, May 27. For park hours and other information, visit www.indianabeach.com

The Splash Battle as well as the Adventure Point ropes course are both listed for sale on Rides4U.

Also, Indiana Beach confirmed in a response to a Facebook comment that Zero G will be replacing the Viper flat ride they added recently.

• 1 month later...

I am planning my first ever trip to this park on Saturday, June 25th and was going to see if anyone had any suggestions for which rides to ride first, what food to eat, and what other things I should do at the park? Does the park usually get pretty crowded on a Saturday? I would like to ride most of the coasters multiple times if possible. I appreciate any advice.

I am planning my first ever trip to this park on Saturday, June 25th and was going to see if anyone had any suggestions for which rides to ride first, what food to eat, and what other things I should do at the park? Does the park usually get pretty crowded on a Saturday? I would like to ride most of the coasters multiple times if possible. I appreciate any advice.

If you get there right at park opening you can probably ride all the coasters at least once well before lunchtime. The slowest line for a coaster is Steel Hawg, so head there first. Ride twice right away if you can, it's worth it. Next I would hit up Tig'rr, if it is running. Sometimes that doesn't open for a couple hours, and sometimes it doesn't open at all (not trying to criticize the park operations, but it is the truth).

After those two are done, then hit up Cornball Express and Hoosier Hurricane in either order. They are large trains with high capacity so the lines should still be pretty short. Both rides were walk-ons at 1 PM on Memorial Day. Just for a point of comparison.

The only wrinkle is Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. For the last 3 years I have been going, it's never been open any day I've been there. BUT according to facebook rumors it is supposed to be opening sometime in the next two weeks. If that is running, you should probably go there right after Tig'rr. I have no idea how long the wait will be, because I've never ridden it, but it is a very low capacity ride.

The park is very small so don't worry about particular routes to take while touring it. Just hop around to whatever interests you. The Antique Autos track is one of the most interesting ones in the nation, but the line can take forever. Even if only 15 people are ahead of you, you will be in line for close to an hour. Same holds true for the Den of Lost Thieves. Very interesting ride, but the line is unbearably slow.

If you like spook houses, the Haunted Castle is among the best I've ever been in. It is a $3.50 surcharge per person to walk through it (on top of park admission).

Other tips. The tacos are not the "world's best" as the sign claims. But they're OK. Pronto Pups are corndogs and if you're into corndogs they are very, very good.