TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I hope that if their next ride is a coaster, that it's like Loch Ness Monster - barely peeking out over the top, or Verbolten, not visible at all.

Whatever it is, I'm hoping for a coaster with a lift instead of a launch. It could be RMC, it could be B&M, and it could be Mack or any other manufacturer for all we know! I love how BG is actually creating hype around this very early on.

So I just came across an archive of press-release photos for the park, ranging from opening year to present. The pictures were so cool I just had to share them with you!

Really awesome photos! I especially love seeing a happy Vincent Price riding. Great finds!

Hey guys,

So I just came across an archive of press-release photos for the park, ranging from opening year to present. The pictures were so cool I just had to share them with you!

Those are some awesome shots! I love the photos of the park skyline, all those colors really stand out against the trees. Thanks for sharing!

I feel like I've been waiting my whole short life for them to add Spain with a terrain woodie as its anchor.

The parks instagram account dropped another clue a few minutes ago. Seems to me something with the Pocohonta's Trail. Very interesting.

It's on the front of a plan set, so I'd assume that just their address. The Internet can't seem to decide whether it's 1 Busch Gardens Boulevard or 7851 Pocahontas Trail.

The old pics of Drachen Fire posted a few pages back are classic! I remember riding it when I was younger and yes, even then it was awful and rough. My brother and I rode it at least twice each visit just so we could say we rode it... somehow maybe we knew way back when that it'd be closed/torn down haha. I'm REALLY excited for these teaser videos and clues going out!! Extra thanks to the person who posted the recent skyline of the park - really great.

Can someone give me the gist (or transcript, even better) of the new video? I'm in BFE, WV skiing and we're on backwoods DSL. I can barely get TPR to load much less play videos. Thanks in advance!

Folks on other fan sites (That I am forbidden from mentioning due to this sites policies) seem to be saying the new ride will be located behind Alpie and Le Scoot in New France. Hmmm, we could be looking at 'Killer Moose: The Ride!"

They are discussing info that was actually posted on the official BGW site.

Here's the link:

https://seaworldparks.com/~/media/ParkSites/BuschGardensWilliamsburg/Images/Pages/Project-2017_The-Plans.ashx

This is interesting. I've never seen BGW do this for an attraction before.

Seeing a full on ride back there would be... shocking. Not a whole lot of space back there, but what IS back there is a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff. That's where the maintenance HQ for the park is, the Festhaus parking/delivers lot, the greenhouse, and also, it's MUCH closer to Kingsmill than the DF site was. While Tempesto is a good example of "never say never" for land, there are a lot of park-essential buildings in that area that would make an expansion there, well, not many peoples first choice. It's also pretty out of the way for guests back there. There are lots of service roads and employee-only walkways back there, but not really many in-park paths. If they added in-park paths there, all those paths would have a prime view of such lovely things as the back side of DarKastle, the loading dock of the Festhaus, and the OneSource shop.

Since the plans say that it will not exceed 60 feet, and at least one building will be 23 feet, I'd expect we're going to see a dark ride, theater, dining area, or something along those lines. Perhaps a Cobra's Curse style coaster could fit in that lot too. Very interesting to say the least.

Edit - Looking at the plans starting at page 8, it looks like two proposed buildings, on either side of a path, one of which looks an awful lot like a loading station, and the other would be a good size for a giftshop. There's also a bunch of paths that look like they could be an extended queue in the same vein of Alpengeist or the old overflow queue of Drachen Fire. There's also what appears to be a bridge plan with a channel underneath similar to the bridge over Griffon's first drop. Very interesting.

Edit 2 - There are ADA access plans for the area that looks like a station, and blueprints for multiple yard drains with oil/water separation ability. There's also plans for quite a substantial number of fences that look like privacy walls similar to what is by Alpengeist's brake run which would hide those park buildings I mentioned above (hinting that whatever this is, they expect guests to be able to see those, and want to hide them.) I'd be interested to see someone better at reading blueprints weigh in on these. Maybe the park is tired of their plans always being leaked, and decided to beat people to the punch?

Anyone at the park on a regular basis?

Looking to purchase the DVD 40 Years of Fun: The Story of Busch Gardens® Williamsburg.

Please PM me if possible along with the cost. I worked at the park 1994-97 and would love to have a copy of this.

Thanks!

If anyone has this DVD or knows where I might purchase an original copy, I would be MOST INTERESTED in acquiring it for my RollerCoasterMediaLibrary.com collection. I will pay good money for this.

Thank you, all.

Simon

Folks on other fan sites (That I am forbidden from mentioning due to this sites policies) seem to be saying the new ride will be located behind Alpie and Le Scoot in New France. Hmmm, we could be looking at 'Killer Moose: The Ride!"

They are discussing info that was actually posted on the official BGW site.

Here's the link:

https://seaworldparks.com/~/media/ParkSites/BuschGardensWilliamsburg/Images/Pages/Project-2017_The-Plans.ashx

This is interesting. I've never seen BGW do this for an attraction before.

Looks like the document featured in the latest video. Interesting, indeed. I wouldn't have considered that particular spot of land for a new attraction, but I'm often surprised by what parks can pull off in rather odd spaces.

Seeing a full on ride back there would be... shocking. Not a whole lot of space back there, but what IS back there is a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff. That's where the maintenance HQ for the park is, the Festhaus parking/delivers lot, the greenhouse, and also, it's MUCH closer to Kingsmill than the DF site was. While Tempesto is a good example of "never say never" for land, there are a lot of park-essential buildings in that area that would make an expansion there, well, not many peoples first choice. It's also pretty out of the way for guests back there. There are lots of service roads and employee-only walkways back there, but not really many in-park paths. If they added in-park paths there, all those paths would have a prime view of such lovely things as the back side of DarKastle, the loading dock of the Festhaus, and the OneSource shop.

Since the plans say that it will not exceed 60 feet, and at least one building will be 23 feet, I'd expect we're going to see a dark ride, theater, dining area, or something along those lines. Perhaps a Cobra's Curse style coaster could fit in that lot too. Very interesting to say the least.

Edit - Looking at the plans starting at page 8, it looks like two proposed buildings, on either side of a path, one of which looks an awful lot like a loading station, and the other would be a good size for a giftshop. There's also a bunch of paths that look like they could be an extended queue in the same vein of Alpengeist or the old overflow queue of Drachen Fire. There's also what appears to be a bridge plan with a channel underneath similar to the bridge over Griffon's first drop. Very interesting.

Edit 2 - There are ADA access plans for the area that looks like a station, and blueprints for multiple yard drains with oil/water separation ability. There's also plans for quite a substantial number of fences that look like privacy walls similar to what is by Alpengeist's brake run which would hide those park buildings I mentioned above (hinting that whatever this is, they expect guests to be able to see those, and want to hide them.) I'd be interested to see someone better at reading blueprints weigh in on these. Maybe the park is tired of their plans always being leaked, and decided to beat people to the punch?

^ I agree with the idea that we may see the expansion of a few new things dining, dark ride etc with it being anchored by a family coaster. Althought a brand new big coaster would be awesome, I wouldn't this either.

Highly doubt these are the real plans. But we'll see.

Oh no, of course they aren't. BGW would totally draft legitimate technical drawings up for a teaser campaign...

My guess is that their completely legit, but they're for something like landscaping or sidewalk infrastructure. With all the teasing happening in less than one week so far, I bet were close to finding something out. I still doubt it'll be anything more than a family coaster like BGTs Mack Spinner. (But I'll cross my fingers for a woodie... RMC!!!)

So for those that don't feel like looking through this document, I'm pulling a few of the more interesting points out to post here:

1: The project is being run through the same company that survey'd for Tempesto

2: They do not have a permit to exceed 60 feet shown here. If this attraction does exceed 60 feet, it's possible that they have only applied for the buildings/paths so far and will schedule a zoning permit for the additional structure later. I doubt this will be the case though, since they have never done that in the past.

3: The project area in these plans is a little under 4 acres. It's about 1/2 acre smaller than the Drachen Fire site for reference.

4: There are 3 new buildings going up involved in this project. One is 11 feet tall, the other two are both 23 feet tall. (This could very easily be a station, train barn, and photo booth, though that is rampant speculation). The 23ft. buildings are 1107 sq/ft and 840 sq/ft which would make them pretty small for a station/train barn, but totally possible for a family coaster similar to Cobra's Curse. The smaller 11ft building is only 174 sq/ft so I doubt they could fit much in there other than a photobooth or small souvenir stand (or it could be a utility shed.)

5. There's a clause that says "No temporary stockpiles are anticipated for this project." That could easily rule out a coaster unfortunately, but I'm also not 100% sure it does (since maybe they don't consider the employee parking lot worth disclosing since it's still on their property, and that's where they always store track pieces).

6. There is a huge section of project description that has been blurred out.

7. There's a bunch of behind the scenes sheds/paths I mentioned on the last page which are actually slated to be demolished for this project. That means this project will actually stick back behind Alpengeist/DarKastle a bit.

8. It looks like they're digging a track-sized trench in the ground 11 feet below grade.

Very exciting stuff. I'm really leaning towards a cobras-curse style coaster on this one personally.