TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe (MOA) Discussion Thread

I wonder what's going on with TMNT Shell Shock, besides the obvious of being torn to pieces. I looked and it is still listed on NU's website, and not being listed as undergoing maintenance. Here's a few pics from Friday, along with a picture of the Shredder, the new ride being erected.

EDIT: Funny, 2 minutes after posting these pictures, I get an answer on NU's facebook site. It is undergoing refurbishment, and will be back in action soon.

20150925_161922.thumb.jpg.084036e53c23f83791313c92e121d7ee.jpg

Shredder construction

20150925_165642.thumb.jpg.70c5b165ce0dda2bc453f18a279c7edd.jpg

20150925_165648.thumb.jpg.960dcb99f2cac9a4247eabd2e9b0cac9.jpg

20150925_165838.thumb.jpg.5b6912436374aa443888ec708ea751ee.jpg

The sign reads "This ride is closed while we make changes for your enjoyment"

20150925_165854.thumb.jpg.c512c2890fd36dc74811a05959327f8c.jpg

20150925_165905.thumb.jpg.eb9eea19f844b9ce95d62e6c7bc3b98f.jpg

20150925_170028.thumb.jpg.4fa685e8f2a7d24b5acbc643a5c2859a.jpg

20150925_170041.thumb.jpg.1d0b001b167ced956b45fd229174fc58.jpg

20150925_170102.thumb.jpg.bc118c2042eef697f21c9a9390b228e3.jpg

I saw that today and asked about it. I happened to ask the Nick U. maintenance supervisor. Shell Shock is down because of a pretty major mechanical failure. As they were replacing a very large gear the main bearing was damaged during some welding. Needless to say the supervisor told me they do not normally do this kind of maintenance. If fact they had a mechanic from Gerstlauser on site heading up the repairs. Management wants it back up by Friday afternoon or Saturday at the very latest. It's a pretty major undertaking and work was going on during operating hours which is very unusual.

if they continue on the route there going shredder should be opening when they originally had planned in oct.. posted pics below. but i can say im not happy with the color. i thought it was suppose to be sliver from the concept art work. also shell shock isn't under maintenance , the last group/lock in they had . college kids broke the ride. as it was lowering the kids were shaking the seats....i used to be an employee their. so i talked with some co workers.and as a employee that operated shell shock we were strictly enforced . do not let the riders shake the seats as its lowering. prime example now...also if look closely into the support beam its hallow ..think if you have seats on one end and riders are putting heavy stress on it. of course its going to break....simply science ...i remember when they opened the ride and i was standing their looking at the beam just SHAKE. im ooooh thats not going to last long...

1392252780_shreddersupports.thumb.jpg.1c8b02c0ed28c1d5a703cc3feedd6b99.jpg

the last group/lock in they had . college kids broke the ride. as it was lowering the kids were shaking the seats....i used to be an employee their. so i talked with some co workers.and as a employee that operated shell shock we were strictly enforced . do not let the riders shake the seats as its lowering.

No offense but I kind of find it hard to believe that a ride, where part of the experience is shaking your seats, would have a design flaw where the whole ride could need extended maintenance if too many people shake their seat at inappropriate times. People are always going to do things like that during raising and lowering regardless of announcements, look at all the times people pull down their lap-bars before a seat belt check on Full Throttle. I'm sure this would have been considered when the ride was being developed.

think if you have seats on one end and riders are putting heavy stress on it. of course its going to break....simply science ...i remember when they opened the ride and i was standing their looking at the beam just SHAKE. im ooooh thats not going to last long...

As a employee that operated shell shock we were strictly enforced .

Speaking of simply science.... you know rides usually have counterweights on the other end, right? If the seats are all mounted centrally so they can spin in a circle easily, surely the stress isn't overly different spinning vs non-spinning, I'd assume as an operator you are aware of that.

Edited by Garet

the last group/lock in they had . college kids broke the ride. as it was lowering the kids were shaking the seats....i used to be an employee their. so i talked with some co workers.and as a employee that operated shell shock we were strictly enforced . do not let the riders shake the seats as its lowering.

No offense but I kind of find it hard to believe that a ride, where part of the experience is shaking your seats, would have a design flaw where the whole ride could need extended maintenance if too many people shake their seat at inappropriate times. People are always going to do things like that during raising and lowering regardless of announcements, look at all the times people pull down their lap-bars before a seat belt check on YOLOcoaster. I'm sure this would have been considered when the ride was being developed.

think if you have seats on one end and riders are putting heavy stress on it. of course its going to break....simply science ...i remember when they opened the ride and i was standing their looking at the beam just SHAKE. im ooooh thats not going to last long...

As a employee that operated shell shock we were strictly enforced .

I would take what Cory says with a grain of salt; there's a reason he is no longer employed at NU.

yep i walked out...i grew old of that childish job. i have a real job now . you guys should be happy were actually getting the revolution. i was the one who told tasha to look into it. i was the one who gave them a list of rides to put into the park. heck she wanted to put a zac spin in and you know how well avatar is operating its constantly down and have you hear the reviews about it... also she wanted to put in a air race .and look what happened to mighty axe, got chopping block .the mechanics begged them to take it out..the ride broke down every day.. and a technical park pegasus..so really sit their and say i don't know my stuff and come at me ..figures bison your from north dakota. stick to what you know farming ... and herding cattle ... cheese heads i swear ....continue being stuck their doing nothing with your life bison. ROFL!!!!

Edited by ThrillRider365

yep i walked out...i grew old of that childish job. i have a real job now . you guys should be happy were actually getting the revolution. i was the one who told tasha to look into it. i was the one who gave them a list of rides to put into the park. heck she wanted to put a zac spin in and you know how well avatar is operating its constantly down and have you hear the reviews about it... also she wanted to put in a air race .and look what happened to mighty axe, got chopping block .the mechanics begged them to take it out..the ride broke down every day..so really sit their and say i don't know my stuff and come at me ..figures bison your from north dakota. stick to what you know farming ... and herding cattle ... cheese heads i swear ....continue being stuck their doing nothing with your life bison. ROFL!!!!

I only work there during the summer, otherwise I'm in college.

But anyways, looks like Shredder is going up fast. I have no doubt they'll have the ride ready for its November opening.

what i have been trying to say . they originally wanted it open for black out.. then they switched it to nov, but with the pics. idk. they are hauling on it...i would say they are well over 70% done...im just mad the color isn't the same as the concept art work. too much green rides in their. sliver would had been sweet..they have green on streak. green on dutchmans. green on foc. and green on shell..

Thanks for all the pics and insight! I wish NU would stop taking out unique rides like DP and take the time to shore up what's already there and make better use of the Nick IP. It would be great if they shut down and re-did Log Chute and actually had a storyline to it from beginning to end, same with Ghost Blasters on the other end of the park. I think someone said it before but Fly Over America seems more like an MOA attraction than NU. Peeps, American Girl, Hard Rock Cafe, Fly Over...some of the biggest blunders in the past few years for a totally landlocked park that cannot expand, are they not building a massive mall expansion these could have gone in instead of the park?

Thanks for all the pics and insight! I wish NU would stop taking out unique rides like DP and take the time to shore up what's already there and make better use of the Nick IP. It would be great if they shut down and re-did Log Chute and actually had a storyline to it from beginning to end, same with Ghost Blasters on the other end of the park.

1. I really don't blame NU for losing Danny Phantom. Of the parks out there, they're among the few who kept one running this long. It reached the end of its service life and I'm sure the expenses to restore it couldn't be justified. Plus, they've held on to most of their unique rides and installed plenty of uncommon attractions in recent years. Look at the experiment that was Shell Shock. They were also the first to open a Chance Downforce/Unicoaster as well. They are the only ones (as far as I know) to still operate a Zierer Hexantanz/Tumbler, they built the first Gerstlauer Spinner, and also have an Intamin Surf Rider.

2. Most locals would hate to see the original theme replaced by a nick IP. Remember the reaction to the hinted Barnyard re-theme? That attraction holds a special place in the hearts of most Minnesotans, and hopefully will remain untouched for the forseeable future.

Thanks for all the pics and insight! I wish NU would stop taking out unique rides like DP and take the time to shore up what's already there and make better use of the Nick IP.

Don't look now, but considering that it's the only one of its kind left and that it's likely close to the end of its service life itself, I'd be willing to bet that the Tumbler / Atomic Collider is next.

Thanks for all the pics and insight! I wish NU would stop taking out unique rides like DP and take the time to shore up what's already there and make better use of the Nick IP. It would be great if they shut down and re-did Log Chute and actually had a storyline to it from beginning to end, same with Ghost Blasters on the other end of the park.

2. Most locals would hate to see the original theme replaced by a nick IP. Remember the reaction to the hinted Barnyard re-theme? That attraction holds a special place in the hearts of most Minnesotans, and hopefully will remain untouched for the forseeable future.

Agreed, don't touch the Log Chute! Really, I love the Paul Bunyan theming, and I would hate to have anything done to it.

Agreed, don't touch the Log Chute! Really, I love the Paul Bunyan theming, and I would hate to have anything done to it.

Agreed. The Log Chute doesn't need to be re-themed, being as it ties into local folklore.

Edited by cfc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nickelodeon Universe Trip Report

Went to NU today. First time since Shredder's opening day. The park was pretty dead today, as it was Vikings-Packers at home.

What I looked for today...

- Area above arcade

- Flyover America

- Shredder Operations

- Free Wristband Line (MOA has deal where if you spend $250 in the holiday season at MOA, you get 2 free ride wristbands. The wristband redemption line gets crazy long - 1 hour. The wristbands also have an expiration date in March.

Also, if you want a really good video tour of NU, I attached one by The Legend of In The Loop.

Thanks!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

image.thumb.jpeg.9501547ee9602c7007d04aee90173b19.jpeg

Backwards Swing!

image.thumb.jpeg.46498a2e509a50269bf5dbaa75db39f3.jpeg

Is that an Intamin I see? At a 7 acre park? Really?

image.thumb.jpeg.d5e1afebeec294e044451c4c2f34be2d.jpeg

On-ride photos on something this small? This ride needs to be re-themed. The show got cancelled 8 years ago.

image.thumb.jpeg.157b67f3947ef273561f8bd66c32ea1c.jpeg

Yea- Bumper cars without a wire! This has awful decor tho.

image.thumb.jpeg.6cd35d0947fb5a7af963af3ceaefe4ba.jpeg

Adorable Theming - Show was canceled long time ago tho.

image.thumb.jpeg.29a165001acaab20e8413ce171f0e3f2.jpeg

Weird ride. I can't flip. Don't really care for it.

image.thumb.jpeg.305edd70eb42882792a80388c51872f8.jpeg

Good theming. The ride is going to Canada's Wonderland next year. It could become CF's Larson looper.

image.thumb.jpeg.344306ed89059c24dfa74232afe037b4.jpeg

Fun. Fun. Fun. Upcharge. Upcharge. Upcharge. If you do this, do everything on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.262be275307cdccc14e69ba508734f2b.jpeg

Gerstlauters get shaky fast. This is shaky. I think it will get replaced sooner than later - 6 years or so.

image.thumb.jpeg.0bf1cf5a221596b82fa8fffa2bafb1a3.jpeg

SallyCorp! You have to do better! Having only 40% of your targets work is not OK!

image.thumb.jpeg.31d816ee693a65b4af0d97a3b1b67d9e.jpeg

Un-Bouncy Bounce House. :(

image.thumb.jpeg.37f333255dac990bac7bf9f3741864d2.jpeg

2 Eh rides in 1!

image.thumb.jpeg.a307ae557bf9263465a8e2bb321fa95d.jpeg

Eh. Boring ride for person w/o joy stick. Has foot restraints. There's one going to Six Flags (LaRonde?) next year.

image.thumb.jpeg.a778027a2420702f83b9de86f50fa72a.jpeg

Carousel.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7eb2527d1e3a3fae6aa2045b491e73f.jpeg

I was too lazy to walk up the stairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.70b3f710fa729e2a81eccac128228a26.jpeg

Who else would it be made by?

image.thumb.jpeg.d5c581c2c36cdad55cf2684e7e876f59.jpeg

History: Knotts Berry Farm used to own NU as Knott's Camp Snoopy. Cedar Fair bought Knotts. Then MOA took control of NU. Anyways, one of these rides are rare and only found at the 2 parks - Knotts took there's out.

image.thumb.jpeg.927e35ace7f666935a0e443c480ef2d2.jpeg

This ride is too high up for little kids. It makes them scared. Bad desicion by NU.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb33a7538ffc27ebf58b345c52b79db4.jpeg

Best Ride in the Park! Very similar to Knott's. 2 Big Drops.

image.jpeg.9e4d35721fad123c0176126392aefd1c.jpeg

Fun ride with spinning. Parks best coaster.

image.thumb.png.b9d666e6437c10b88fa3a4882511a96e.png

Forgot to get a shredder pic, so one from opening day! That's it. Decent park. Couple of good rides. Needs another coaster - get one above arcade!