TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Generally during summer in Charlotte it rains/storms in the afternoon as it heats up (when it does) and it's usually quick moving and lasts maybe 30 minutes. It's rarely an all day wash out, unless it's remnants of a tropical storm/hurricane from the Gulf or Atlantic. Of course there are always other exceptions since weather pretty much happens when it happens. Just pay attention to the forecast as close to when you're going to plan accordingly.

I've been planning a trip to Carowinds for the first time ever this summer. It'll likely be in July but I don't have a set date yet.

I was reading up on summer weather in Charlotte and it's not a good prognosis. What's the likelihood on any given day we'd get rained out or stormed out in July?

Pretty much close to every day because of the intense heat and the humidity here. pop up thunderstorms are the norm in the afternoon / evening hours but it's like for 5-10 mins. Either way the park never closes its gates nor the ride unless lighting is present; all rides remain in operation during rain fall.

^

It's too bad it has to go since it looks like a fun woodie, but I guess it's the only way for them to expand the water park. It is possible that I might be visiting Carowinds in July, so I might get a chance to ride it before it's history.

Here's the official facebook announcement.

1418207560_Screenshot2015-05-23at1_23_04PM.png.7eea6c2d83c9cd5567954286017a4338.png

^Not for an I-box transformation. Pending removal for a major waterpark expansion in 2016.

This seems to be the thought everywhere, but I just aerial viewed the park and the coaster pretty much hugs the perimeter of the park with the parking lot right up next to it. Doesn't seem like much of any kind of room for any type of waterpark expansion????

Edited by eddie200330

This seems to be the thought everywhere, but I just aerial viewed the park and the coaster pretty much hugs the perimeter of the park with the parking lot right up next to it. Doesn't seem like much of any kind of room for any type of waterpark expansion????

They can more than triple the water park with the land available over there. I doubt the grassy/tree area would be used but there is a lot of space to work with. I just wish they'd keep Thunder Road and build on the other side with a path underneath.

CW2016.bmp

But that is a lot of parking lot to give up.......

That's why they just added 900 spaces by the main gate when they built Fury 325 and revamped the front entrance. They knew they were doing this well in advance.

^But is it a "lot of parking lot" they need?

They probably need it today since they are using the grass overflow. But as commented above it was in the works anyways.

1250766415_cwparking5-23-152.thumb.jpg.a150f59c4e46cd101885f56988c68046.jpg

Edited by cwgator

^But is it a "lot of parking lot" they need?

They probably need it today since they are using the grass overflow. But as commented above it was in the works anyways.

[attachment=0]cwparking5-23-15 2.jpg[/attachment]

Well, it is Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend.

I sometimes feel like Cedar Fair considers wooden coasters a nuisance. Actually I think most chain parks do. That's why Six Flags is RMCing their troublesome woodies. I don't understand the love for waterparks the past 15 years or so either. Especially when they all add the same slide structures. All I get out of waterparks are an unsanitary feeling and sunburn.. and lots of long slow lines for a few second slide.

Carowinds just announced the closure of Thunder Road. July 26th will be the last ride.

Dang...I'll miss that cred then

Guess I'll look at the bright side, saves more time for Fury 325

Also, all the talk of "When is Cedar Fair getting an RMC!?" guess the time is now.

Carowinds just announced the closure of Thunder Road. July 26th will be the last ride.

Also, all the talk of "When is Cedar Fair getting an RMC!?" guess the time is now.

Why do people think Carowinds is getting an RMC? Honestly, everything is pointing towards a water park expansion with 0.00 evidence for any sort of transformation of thunder road. It is simply a pipe dream.

Why do people think Carowinds is getting an RMC? Honestly, everything is pointing towards a water park expansion with 0.00 evidence for any sort of transformation of thunder road. It is simply a pipe dream.

Just quoting what others have said. I'm more upset I'll miss this classic but oh well.