TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

BREAKING!

Kolmården have lost it's permission to build Wilfire!

The town gave permission which have been appealed up until the higher level of "county" government which have now rejected the coaster.

It will most likely be appealed higher, but the ride will most likely face delays, things like this tend to take time.

They state that the reason is lack of a zoning plan for the area, and resistans from nearby locals and that the park is close to a protected nature area.

Edited by _koppen

Here is the translated article:

Share on Print PrintMore Services Sharing Share information

Planning permission for the roller coaster suspended

Published

2015-02-26

Category

Animals & Nature, Environment & Climate, People & Society, Urban Planning & heritage

Subject area

Planning issues

Kolmarden Zoo may not permit to build a roller coaster. Östergötland County Administrative Board cancels the Municipality of Norrköping decision on building permits, which were taken last fall. County Board rejects the zoo's application for planning permission on the grounds that it requires a detailed plan before the question can be reviewed.

Norrköping Municipality granted Kolmårdens Zoo AB planning permission for a roller coaster October 8, 2014. The decision has been appealed by several parties, associations and individuals.

According to the master plan is the relevant part of the area designated as a zoo. The area lacks detailed plan. Roller coaster is supposed to be placed directly adjacent to the existing zoo. The plant will be located near nature reserve and area of ​​national interest for nature conservation and outdoor recreation.

The County Board believes that the roller coaster will have a major impact on the environment. It will, among other things, to change the landscape, cause increased noise levels and affect the traffic situation. Therefore, a detailed plan in place before the roller coaster can be checked by a planning application, consider the County Administrative Board.

The decision can be appealed to the Land and Environment Court.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's just more red-tape. A typical knee-jerk reaction from local planning boards when something they don't expect gets proposed. I've seen it happen over and over.

I'm not sure how tough it is to work around in Sweden though. It sounds like some locals are complaining and using the "nature" excuse. I'm sure Kolmården will be able to make a more detailed proposal outlining all the environmental impacts, or lack thereof, and get this moved forward again. I'd expect a 2-3 year delay though, just based on the position the park is in and how slow things like this seem to move in Sweden.

The work was suposed to start again in April, but that is not going to be reach according to the CEO, but Kolmården is still hoping for a 2016 opening, but I personally don't see that as likely.

There are now only two options, the first is to appeal and the second to start preparing for a zoning plan.

It's just more red-tape. A typical knee-jerk reaction from local planning boards when something they don't expect gets proposed. I've seen it happen over and over.

From what I've read so far the local planning board is accepting the ride, the reason for stopping it is that they can't ignore all the appeals from nearby locals (they gotten in somewhere around 20 appeals).