TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Why did the park get rid of Laser?

So they could put two hand-me-down coasters right next to each other!

Joking aside, I would take Laser any day of the week over Stinger, no questions, but I find it hard to believe people genuinely enjoyed it more than Talon/Hydra/Steel Force. I could remember having some rough rides on it. To each their own I suppose.

Why did the park get rid of Laser?

So they could put two hand-me-down coasters right next to each other!

Joking aside, I would take Laser any day of the week over Stinger, no questions, but I find it hard to believe people genuinely enjoyed it more than Talon/Hydra/Steel Force. I could remember having some rough rides on it. To each their own I suppose.

I enjoy all of those coasters but Laser was better than all of them. Not only was Laser amazingly smooth (you had rough rides on Laser, really?) but it caused riders to grey out in the double loops and was just pretty much an amazing and intense piece of awesome. When you consider the fact that it's in a park that desperately lacks intense coasters with the exception of maybe Posessed it just made it even better.

Steel Force and Hydra are fun rides don't get me wrong... but they're not very forceful at all. Steel Force is the weakest hyper I've ever ridden and while I like it a lot if you're not in the front seat the ride experience is about as thrilling as driving to the park on I-78. Hydra is fun but nothing close to Laser. Laser was smoother and infinitely more intense.

Talon and Laser is a close matchup. Both are great coasters but just because of the incredible forces Laser pulled I have to give it the edge. To each his own but this isn't me pretending a coaster was better than it was just because it's gone now... Laser was legitimately a really, really awesome ride. Stinger is crap.

Edit: Then again that's just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with it. As I've said before after Talon I consider Thunder Creek Mountain and Demon Drop to be the best rides in the park... so I don't really follow along with the opinion of the majority. lol

I enjoy Talon, Steel Force, and Possessed, even though none of them could be thought of as "great rides." Not a fan of Hydra, though. Thunder Creek is a very good log ride.

Edited by cfc

I think Talon is an awesome ride. Great first drop, good pacing and doesn't overdue it with the inversions, also its smooth as butter. Hydra is fun, but nothing to write home about. Although the first drop I find actually awesome especially in the back.

The park needs a new marquee coaster and this isn't just to have one, its because it severely needs it to keep up with the competition.

Laser was my 3rd favorite coaster in the park after Talon and Steel Force. I really liked those back to back forceful loops and the final helix at the end. I used to like Hydra more before it got that rattle that is there for almost the entire ride.

I've always been a huge fan of Talon, Hydra, and Steel Force. Stinger wasn't bad, but I'd much rather ride Laser. I really dislike Possessed. That brake was too painful. As soon as it stopped, I slammed right into the harness. I wouldn't miss it at all if they decided to get rid of it.

Talon, Steel Force, Possessed, and Demon Drop are the only real reasons I visit, though I don't mind the other coasters in the lineup. Plus, I like the atmosphere of the park.

Unfortunately, I only rode Laser once, back during my first visit to the park in 2001 (next time I went was late 2012). I don't remember too much, but I do remember a smooth, forceful, fun ride. I wish the park didn't get rid of it so I'd have more opportunities to ride it.

• 3 weeks later...
I was at Dorney Park yesterday. Near Steel Force there was somebody dressed up as a zombie that casually walked with me for a minute. I saw a zombie eat chips for the first time

New for 2015: The Cedar Creek Flyers

CCF_webpagesize.jpg

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, the center of summer fun and family entertainment in the Lehigh Valley, will be adding a new family ride, barbeque dining experience and All Season Dining program for season passholders as part of its plan for the 2015 season.

The Cedar Creek Flyers will be added to the lower section of the park across from Stinger. This unique experience is an updated version of a classic thrill ride. Riders will sit in one of eight “eagles” suspended from arms 28 feet in the air. As the ride spins, the eagles will swing outward – and riders have the unique opportunity to control their flight experience from mild to wild!

... Dorney. I would like to sincerely apologize in advance for what we're going to do to those cables.

^^ Thats exciting, another reason to go back next year! Wondering if they are going put these on that circular concrete pad everyone thought the Windseeker was supposed to go, its right there.

I love that these rides are making a comeback. Sure these models aren't as good as the ones at Carowinds and Kings Dominion and they don't even belong in the same discussion as the ones from Knoebels but you can still snap them. We did at Cedar Point and Six Flags America. Any flyer that can be snapped is a fun ride.

Now I guess we can be quiet about that circular area being used for a Windseeker. I do kind of hope that it will bring in more foot traffic down into that area of the park.

They are also adding a barbecue place as well, which is much needed as the variety on what to eat was kind of small.

Not a bad choice of additions for next year.

As long as there's 2 people working the ride, load times can be a lot better. One unloads and unbuckles while the other loads and height checks, then both check once everyone's seated. The capacity is what hurts these, especially when you get a bunch of kids that want to ride by themselves. If you have 2 people that know the ride and work very well together, can burn through a line pretty well.

Wonder how many more Scooters we'll see appear next year. Really happy Cedar Fair has decided to continue adding these to their parks. Maybe we'll see if Kings Island will be the next park to announce they're adding a Flying Scooters!