Why did Universal decide to go with B&M to build the hulk?

Couldn't they have gone with another company that can actual
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Why did Universal decide to go with B&M to build the hul

Postby Superbatboy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Hulk to this day is still one of the most striking coasters to look at, aside from the launch it just has a unique look to it that none of the other B&Ms have.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

DJeXeL wrote:
TheHalonSystem wrote:But what happened on California Screamin'?

Clicky

I knew about an incident where someone's backpack fell on the track but I forgot about that incident.
Everything looks good! I think.......I think this time it's going to work!

Warning, coolant levels dropping!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:43 pm

awclark wrote:I have a collection of 3 blueprints from IOA. 1 is original blueprints of the entire park, and the other 2 are of specifically Dueling Dragons and Hulk. Both Dragons and Hulk blueprints are stamped and dated. Dragons reads 'June 30th, 1997' (30/6/97) and Hulk reads 'August 30th, 1996' (30/8/96). I'd be happy to post pictures as visual reference for anybody interested

But since we're on the topic of Hulk, this means that the blueprint I have in possession was created/printed in the late summer of 1996, nearly 3 years before the park opened its gates. When you think back to the coaster companies in the mid 90's it's pretty easy to point out that B&M was on an exponential rise to the top. In the mid-90's, Intamin had yet to start producing its collection of mind-blowing coasters we all know and love today, Arrow's popularity was fizzling out and their technology simply wasn't advanced enough to produce the attraction Universal was looking for, and Premier was only JUST coming onto the horizon. B&M on the other hand was rocking the industry year after year in the early 90's with their unique and advanced coasters that pushed the boundaries for what coasters can do all while producing something that was highly reliable.

As such, it seemed like an obvious choice for Universal to select B&M as their client given their stellar struck record in such a short period of time. And from what I recall seeing in an article, interview, or video on Hulk, B&M didn't choose the tire launch, it was the Universal engineers who devised what type of launch to choose after going through a number of tests. I'm sure the business relationship between B&M and Universal during the process was very close to make sure that a reliable and safe product was produced in the end.

Is the blueprint on your page? I really wanna see it.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:46 pm

robbalvey wrote:^ Please post pics!

And also, think about it... in 1996 that is when Intamin was having issues with Superman: The Escape at Magic Mountain (using Intrasys' LSM technology) and I'm sure Hulk's designers looked at that early on and were scared to go with something that was A. still unproved, and B. having issues that delayed a ride opening an entire year.

At the time I'm sure B&M didn't want to devote additional resources to make a coaster launch as they already were swamped with work and they didn't want to be the fall guy when things didn't go right, so it was up to Universal Creative and engineering to figure out how to make the coaster go "really fast" up that hill.

Personally, while the technique they went with was a bit "analog" for the time, it works, still works, and works very well! I don't blame them for going a bit old-school if it got them the desired results!

--Robb

I think it's the only coaster to use that type of launch. And at a park like IOA, you really have high expectations!

I still wondered if B&M designed the piece of track the pitch wheels sit on of if that had to be done by another company as well.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:I would love for someone, someday, to divulge all the details about how the Dueling Dragons concept ended up at IOA instead of DAK, and what the discussions were on who was going to manufacture what and when.

I think it'd be a too intense ride to be at Disney.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 pm

KC_Engineer wrote:It still amazes me to this day that it will be 16 years between launched B&M coasters (1999 to 2015)! I don't know if Thunderbird will start a trend or not, but I'm excited to see what happens. Hulk is an amazing coaster, in my opinion, and it surprises me that parks didn't see its success in the early 2000s and seek to replicate it somewhere along the line.

Well, I don't think B&M was advertising launch coasters until this year but would do them if you requested one and found another company to do the launch.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

ECZenith wrote:Halon, that is a real aerial image from am unknown source. Might be Flyin Phil but I can't be sure.

It's really cool looking!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Postby TheHalonSystem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Superbatboy wrote:Hulk to this day is still one of the most striking coasters to look at, aside from the launch it just has a unique look to it that none of the other B&Ms have.

It's very loud too! But the it has a very original and awesome layout! My favorite ride at universal by far!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

^ Please stop multi-posting so many times in the same thread! You can quote multiple people in one post!

Thank you.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby awclark » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Here are the pics of the blueprints I've got for those interested! I actually obtained them from a forum member here on TPR who was opting to sell them way back in 2007 so I've had them in my possession for about 7 or so years now. Enjoy! =)
Hulk Full.jpg
Hulk Coaster Blueprints
Hulk Info.jpg
Hulk Coaster Information Block in the bottom corner of the blueprint.
Dragons Full.jpg
Dueling Dragons Blueprint
Dragons Info.jpg
Dueling Dragons info block in the bottom corner of the sheet
IOA Full.jpg
Full color blueprints of IOA in its entirety
IOA 1.jpg
Full color blueprints depicting Port of Entry, Marvel Island, and Seuss Landing
IOA 2.jpg
Full color blueprints depicting Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park
IOA 3.jpg
Full Color Blueprint depicting The Lost Continent. Note Dueling Dragons massive outdoor queue section before Flying Unicorn was installed.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!