TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the best concert you have ever been to?

SonOfBeastSucks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tina Turner

June 1984

Charles Town, West Virginia

Sadly only about 60 people showed up ( yes only 60 ). Not only did Tina put on a good show but she actually went out into the audience and shook our hands too and told all of us face to face how greatful she was that we were there to see her. VERY CLASSY WOMAN !!! I think I still have the pic of Tina Turner giving me a hug someplace.

Why only 60? At the time sadly a lot of people thought of Tina as a "has-been" singer. Then a month or so later came that tune "Whats Love Got To With It" and within a few months Tina Turner was back on top, playing the BIG places and no longer doing small race tracks in West Virginia.

While not the best, I have a soft spot in my heart for the first concert I ever went to - Blue Oyster Cult at the (then) Sun Theatre.

I would say the best was the Zwan show I went to see at the Roxy back around 2002. The opener (Abandoned Pools) ended up completely stealing the show and delivering the most rockin' performance I've ever seen. The memory of the whole crowd being blow back by the first riffs of their set still gives me chills.

the best concert i went to was Jamiroquai, live in verona, italy in june 2002. it was a very hot day, and at night, when the concert started, a storm hit the town with heavy rain. but instead of stopping the performance the band and jay k gave 200 %, people had the time of their live, it was amazing!

Sir Paul McCartney on the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City on July 20th, 2008.

Three of my friends and I waited for thirteen hours among 250,000 others to see Sir Paul (for free!) and he put on a fantastic show. To grow up listening to his classics and then to hear them performed by their original writer, the feeling is indescribable. He rocked for three hours and played 39 songs. The great thing is that there is no song in the entire set that you don't know the words to. From 'Jet' to 'The End' it was Beatlemania all over again, if only for one night.

• 3 years later...

I'll play along. For me it is going to be a 3 way tie.

KROQ Weenie Roast 2003:

This show had a great lineup, Staind, Foo Fighters, Godsmack, Chevelle, Deftones, Finch, Sum 41, AFI, and a bunch of others that I can't recall right now. To make the show better I was rocking pit passes and backstage passes (including free In N Out in the back) which didn't hurt that show either. Overall this is very possibly the best show I've been to. Out of the three I'm going to list I'm very tempted to put this one out as the best overall show I've gone to.

Seether in a random club:

I can't even recall the name of the little club I saw these guys play in up in the Anaheim area. Basically it was a smallish club with maybe 150-200 people in attendence. The concert had Smile Empty Soul open which was another plus for me. As a final plus (kind of) of this concert was the Evanescence happened to be in town the previous night and were off the day of the Seether show. This ended up meaning that there was the bonus of Amy Lee coming out and joining in a duet of Broken as well as signing Bring Me to Life. I personally like the version of Broken without her, but still a nice surprise.

Breaking Benjamin at the Ventura Theater:

This was the first time I saw Breaking Benjamin (I would see them another two times after this) and it really was the best show I had seen them play. The Ventura theater is a great venue! It is small, less then a mile from the beach, and if you want to meet the bands there really isn't a better place. I spent the day down at the beach and then we headed up to the concert. In front of the theater we meet the guys in Breaking Benjamin, and then later the guys in the Exies and Theory of a Deadman. The guys from the Exies may have been the most friendly group I have ever meet, really took the time to talk to us and just hangout.

For what it's worth, the worst show I've ever been to was likely Incubus in Bakersfield. Just a disaster of a show in every possible way.

Radiohead, San Diego 08/08

Muse, San Diego 09/10

Streetlight Manifesto, Pamona 12/11

Others:

Pixies

White Stripes

Raconteurs

Foo Fighters

Queens of the Stone Age

Police @ Dodger's Stadium

Green Day

Incubus

Death Cab For Cutie

Beck

and sorta a concert but Flight of the Conchords!

I've been to a lot of concerts over the years. Some good, some bad, some OMG AWESOME. Here are the top 5 concerts I've been to:

1. Rammstein - Air Canada Centre (Toronto, ON)

Words cannot accurately describe just how incredible this concert was. The band's stage presence was just out of this world, and all of the special effects, lighting and pyrotechnics made this concert outstanding. During "Feuer Frei!", the lead singer and both guitarists donned flamethrower masks. And yes, it was as awesome as it sounds. If you ever get the chance to see this band live, for the love of all that is good and holy, TAKE IT!

2. Alice Cooper - Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, ON)

This was actually the second time I had seen Alice Cooper. The first time I was really disappointed as there were no theatrics or anything that makes Alice Cooper Alice Cooper. However, for this show, he went all out with "vintage Cooper". From throwing around a mannequin during "Only Women Bleed", impaling a baby with a rail spike during "Billion Dollar Babies" and then hanging himself, it was truly a sight to behold. That night, he was opening for Heaven & Hell (aka, Dio Sabbath) but he was the star of the night.

3. Finntroll - The Opera House (Toronto, ON)

I love heavy metal. I especially love folk metal. So, this was bound to be a fun show for me. But what really made this show stand head and shoulders above most other shows I've been to was the crowd. Everyone at this show was extraordinarily happy, cheerful and friendly. I've never seen so many people smiling while headbanging or in the pit. At one point during their set, everyone just kind of linked arms and started dancing/headbanging with each other. It was one of those moments where you kind of step back and think "wow...this is really awesome right now".

4. Sloan - Fed Hall (Waterloo, ON)

This was another one of those "good show made great by a killer crowd" nights. Coming into the show, I actually didn't know too much about Sloan other than "Money City Maniacs". But that night, it didn't really matter. During every song, they got the crowd extremely into it and happy. One of the greatest moments I've experienced at a concert was during "Rest of My Life" as the entire crowd starts clapping and singing along for the entire song. That night, no one left the club without a smile on their face. Also, I did tequila shots with the band that night. That was pretty awesome.

5. GWAR - Elements (Kitchener, ON)

A GWAR concert is something that every heavy metal fan should experience at least once. I really can't accurately describe what happened that night. But, effigies of the Pope, Hitler, George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein were involved. Also, a lot of various coloured liquids spraying from said effigies. Naturally, this liquid/water/whatever got all over everything and everyone...which is why people wear a plain white shirt to a GWAR show. After leaving with my (now stained) shirt and body, I got a lot of weird looks at the gas station/convenience store.

• 2 years later...

I went through the entire thread....I cannot believe nobody has mentioned my favorite (however, somebody did say David Gilmour).

I have seen Pink Floyd 4 times (as well as Roger Waters twice). All of these have been religious experiences for me. I give honorable mentions to Yes, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

If you look at my age, that should explain things. I just cannot groove with modern music.

Tie between Accept at the Palladium in September of 2012 (sound was bad and Kreator was also on the bill, but Accept's performance was completely top notch, as was their setlist, and they managed to blow Kreator off the stage) and Suffocation at the Middle East in November of 2012 (amazing performances, amazing setlist, and it was at the best larger venue in New England). Dying Fetus at Nectar's in February 2013 is very close behind.

I've been to hundreds of concerts (hell, at least 30 of em KISS), but there truly are only a dozen or so that I think back to time and again, and the memory makes me smile.

my taste is all over the place, so I've been to tons of Metal, Rock, Alt., Thrash, and yes, even top 40 shows. . I saw Olivia Newton John w/ Quarterflash opening (whom I love!)).

I've seen many fantastic concerts over the years (Nine Inch Nails in a tiny club in Austin, with the Aquanettas opening (Pretty Hate Machine Tour), A Split Second (on one of their few USA dates, where they blew the power TWICE during the show), Raven/Slayer/W.A.S.P. at the Maceba Theatre in Houston, Siouxsie and the Banshees at the University of Houston Cullen Auditorium ("Tinderbox" tour), the Smiths at the Cullen auditorium . .

as well as, many, many, many KISS shows -- we just saw them Saturday with Def Leppard and both bands put on a fantastic show.

so here's my top 5 to 1:

5) KISS Revenge Tour (1992, Backstage club, Houston):

they played a Club tour, for this album, mainly to introduce "new" drummer Eric Singer. I clearly recall the hubub in the line with some fans bitching that the new member was a blonde!

Once we got into the club and realized KISS would be playing on a small stage in front of less than 250 folks?. . the most intimate, sweaty, and insane show I've ever seen from them. As such a huge KISS fan, being just 5 feet away from Gene and Paul is something I will never forget!

4) U2: Boy tour (1981, Cardi's club, Houston):

They had not yet "broken" in the States, but my best friends were huge fans because they thought Bono was "cute". .so we went. The show absolutely blew me away, and the very next time U2 came to Houston, they played in the Summit. . the big arena in town. So that we got to stand so close to them and watch them play a small club in Houston?. . .just stunning show. I STILL recall the chills I got from hearing "the Electric Co" the first time at this show.

3) K's Choice, Tonic, the Verve Pipe (1997, Austin Music Hall, Austin):

I was a big fan of the Verve Pipe album, "villains" - loving the title track and the song "photograph" (but hating "the Freshman" song) The only thing I really knew from K's choice was "not an addict", and I couldn't have named a Tonic song.

but the show was so, so strong, that I went out the next day and bought the K's choice album, as well as everything Tonic had put out to date. I'm still a Tonic fan, and just was listing to the "Cocoon Crash" K's choice CD the other day.

unfortunately, Verve Pipe only does Children's music these days. . I wish they would go back to doing pop/rock. .but I guess the kids music is more profitable.

2) Ratt & Twisted Sister / Motley Crue (1984?, Astro Arena / Sam Houston Coliseum, one weekend in Houston) -- I had heard the singles, but wasn't a huge fan, then I won a radio call in, that included not only Ratt & TS current albums (Out of The Cellar & Stay Hungry), but also Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil), and tickets to the shows that were on back to back nights. The next day, I bought the previous TS and Motley albums that were available, and became fans of all 3 (at least for two albums for Motley. . Ratt and TS I'm still a fan of today).

1) KISS Creatures of the Night Tour (1982?, Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston):

At the Sam Houston Coliseum, this is memorable to me because:

a) the crowd turn out was not huge, so we were able to move to the 2nd row on the floor. . . getting me several guitar pics (the prior album, "music from the Elder" was a huge flop, and everyone thought they had gone soft, so sales were bad despite it being one of my favorite KISS albums)

b) Vinnie Vincent had replaced Ace, and although I was disappointed at the time, I was one of the lucky ones who got to see Vinnie in full Pharoah makeup. . something many folks never saw live, since they took the makeup off after this album.

c) opening band, the Plasmatics blew me away!

d) much of the merchandise from this tour is extremely collectible (it was the 10th anniversary tour). .and I have all of it still. . >BWA-HAA-HAA

This is easy. Roger Water's The Wall. Without a doubt, the best concert I have ever been to. Not only is it Pink Floyd (favorite band), but it was just so well run. I loved the collapse of the Wall at the end and for a second, I thought there were aircraft carriers above the stadium.

Runners Up:

2. Weird Al Yankovich

3. Primus

4. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

5. Andrew W.K

6. The Doobie Brothers

7. Pat Benetar

DSC08183.JPG.54ee630e87cfedd33af3355ca429bd25.JPG

• 1 month later...
Either Nine Inch Nails with David Bowie or Lollapalooza 1 (Henry Rollins, Souxsie and the Banshees, Ice-T with Body Count...)

YES! I saw both of those tours in Toronto. I met Joey Ramone in the audience at Lollapalooza 1 during NIN's set. Such a great day.

I'd also like to add Pantera. Saw them three times, but the best show was with Prong at The Diamond Club on the Cowboys From Hell tour.

Definitely The Wall (1980). Almost two hours of Gilmour and Waters rockin the house. I've seen a few Pink Floyd shows but this was the best.

Van Halens early Hagar tours and Def Leppards early 90s tours are my runners up. I personally prefer Hagar to Roth by a hair but both were great. Def Leppard also knew how to put on a good show every time.

I wish that Freddie Mercury lived long enough to do another US tour with Queen. I would have given up anything to see the Wembley show.