TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Went to the park today, I decided to swing by dinosaurs alive since I didn't have much to do, I did run into Mr.Frazier in Dinos Alive and we briefly talked about the flooding, He seemed pretty busy and he went to check on the flooded dinos. It's a shame renegade was closed. I was disappointed but kinda expecting it to be that way. Other wise the lines were minimal and I had a great visit! Cant wait to go again in a few days

Hello, I am new to this thread, but I live 20 minutes from VF and I absolutely love this park. I ran into Frazier last time I Visited the park, and He Was very kind with me. I think he is a great GM and will give this park so much in the coming years. And on that topic, a water park expansion is quite obvious for next year. And I believe that 2016 will definitely be the year for a new major coaster! I really want a B&M inverted coaster, and feel it will be a big hit for Valleyfair. And while reading the article about the 3 parks due for significant growth, I saw the writer say "heavy expansion" will be coming to VF. I hope this is true, and I'm extremely excited for the park's future!

Now they have changed the Minnesota River cresting forecast in Shakopee to happen sometime early to mid Thursday. Plus we have more rain coming on Friday night/Saturday so who knows when it will subside enough to open it. Depending on what they have to do for inspections, testing and maybe repair they may not even get it open by this weekend. VF already has the shortest operating days in the CF chain and now it has to deal with this. It has been over two weeks since I last rode Renegade, feel my pain! (Sorry, I have First World problems. )

Hello, I am new to this thread, but I live 20 minutes from VF and I absolutely love this park. I ran into Frazier last time I Visited the park, and He Was very kind with me. I think he is a great GM and will give this park so much in the coming years. And on that topic, a water park expansion is quite obvious for next year. And I believe that 2016 will definitely be the year for a new major coaster! I really want a B&M inverted coaster, and feel it will be a big hit for Valleyfair. And while reading the article about the 3 parks due for significant growth, I saw the writer say "heavy expansion" will be coming to VF. I hope this is true, and I'm extremely excited for the park's future!

Welcome then to the thread, always nice to have more VF fans in the forum. I also live only 15-20 minutes from the park. Most of us here love the park too even though we know it is barely or slightly above average. You can still have fun at the park and hopefully in the next five years VF gets some solid additions and attractions to make it a better amusement park.

Now they have changed the Minnesota River cresting forecast in Shakopee to happen sometime early to mid Thursday. Plus we have more rain coming on Friday night/Saturday so who knows when it will subside enough to open it. Depending on what they have to do for inspections, testing and maybe repair they may not even get it open by this weekend. VF already has the shortest operating days in the CF chain and now it has to deal with this. It has been over two weeks since I last rode Renegade, feel my pain! (Sorry, I have First World problems. )

That stinks. We can't get a break from this wet weather, can we? Based on the forecast below, things may not get better for a while. It's really unfortunate that it has to happen to Valleyfair since if has the second shortest operating season in the chain (behind Michigan's Adventure), but I guess this isn't the worst thing that could happen.

image.jpg.e695659eda03f949c45605d9126ba18a.jpg

It's been over a year since I've ridden Renegade. But in that time, I've ridden Outlaw Run and Prowler.

^^ With all the markings around the park including the ones by Excalibur, I think something big is going to be announced, probably the WP expansion, but I think that more than just that will be announced due to the markings by the Amphitheater and the missing track on the railroad.

^^We knew about the flags and stakes behind the amphitheater but the missing train track piece makes it even more interesting now. On GM Dave Frazier's Twitter account he has a response to a question of, "I am not sure on all of them, some are for repairs and some are for future projects." Does he mean the flags in the ground? I cannot read the question because the guy who asked it protects his tweets. Things just keep getting more interesting at VF with all this markings on the ground. This kind of activity has not been seen at the park in a long time and gives us fans plenty to speculate about for a change.

So could this possibly mean that Minnesota River Valley Railroad could be removed too?

OK. Now there is missing track? I rode on that train just a few weeks ago. This is a very positive sign! The bubble is about to burst

I don't know what's happening with the train, but even if it is removed, I'm not sure what they would replace it with. It might open up some smaller spaces for small additions, but nothing major. If they do remove it, I'd be a bit surprised because besides the derailment CaptainUnknown mentioned, I can't see anything else wrong with it. My only problem with it is that I always have to wait for it to cross when I'm at the railroad crossing near the arcade, but that's probably just my luck.

I also thought this was a little funny.

image.jpg.2e6b62fff9416d5b0cf2c7f8aecc712c.jpg

^ Just open Renegade. Then advertise and promote it as a new Flume ride until the river recedes. Actually, they should do that with Excalibur because it looks to be under more water than Renegade now. Hopefully they can get them open by next weekend for the 4th of July, I would hate to see VF miss revenue on one of their busiest weekends of the summer.

The flood water from the river must be really covering the north end of the parking lot because VF on their Facebook site said additional parking is down the road at the horse racing track Canterbury Park and that free shuttles are running from there to the park.

I'm afraid you're the one who's confused. According to "St. Paul's local News Leader" Thunder Canyon is a roller coaster. Then again I forgive you for being wrong... after all you're not the "leader in local news".

Valley Fair announced Wednesday that the Renegade, Excalibur and Thunder Canyon roller coasters have been shut down due to encroaching flood waters from the rain-swollen Minnesota River. Flooding has also impacted Valley Fair's main parking lot. A note on the park's website is asking customers to car pool if possible as close parking is limited.

I don't like to criticize people for not knowing coaster terminology because if you're not a coaster person then minor details aren't really that important... but to say that a rapids ride is a roller coaster is just flat out stupid. My Honda Fit is more of a roller coaster than Thunder Canyon.

Check out the pictures of the flood below. Grab a Snickers because this is going to take a while to recede.

909716374_WateratVF.jpeg.d6bb012a8345cd6941b45c74111c73b9.jpeg

The entrance into the parking lot. At least what is left.

1702190948_SVWater.thumb.JPG.4c95139497a0afe097a297ed886e224b.JPG

Steel Venom queue with water in the parking lot right next to it.

I just visited the park today, the parking lot is completely flooded and they had to make a makeshift gate by steel venom since cars couldn't get to the main gate. If Valleyfair really wants to do a soak city expansion, they need to throw a couple slides in the parking lot. Boom. Instant soak city expansion

So, do you think more things will be flooded/affected by this? One of my friends is trying to tell me the park will close, but I don't know if they would, although I do see Renegade, Excalibur, and Thunder Canyon being closed for quite some time. Thoughts/speculations?

^

The Minnesota River at Shakopee is supposed to crest tomorrow, and after that, the floodwaters should start receding, but according to the National Weather Service, the area is supposed to receive 3 to 4 more inches of rain through Monday. Not exactly sure what that will do to the flooding situation, but it doesn't exactly sound good. I don't see the entire park closing unless the entire park becomes flooded. I personally won't be going back until Renegade has reopened.

^

I personally won't be going back until Renegade has reopened.

I probably won't be either. Unfortunate that this is happening, of course it's the first year I actually like riding the "big rides" and my new favorite coaster as of this year is closed :/