TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So this is something I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the internet and I just noticed it on the Wikipedia page for it. Is Goliath going to be operating with a single rider line? If so that will be the only one in Great America and I really didn't expect to actually see one here.

Somebody else posted the original source for this, but I thought it was worth mentioning that Ragin' Cajun had a single rider line, so it's not as if the park hasn't had a coaster with one.

Gah, you're right! I forgot about that, even though I waited in it the only times I ever got Rajun Cajun credits.

Gaah, my bloody retainer broke so I'll have to miss opening day. I should be heading down next Wednesday, though, so I'll ride it then.

----------

The thing I'm most interested in is how the airtime hill and first drop compare to Outlaw Run. I fully expect the stall to be a completely different element than the 153, but Outlaw had a lot of airtime in very short bursts, but this looks to have fewer individual moments of airtime but they're longer in duration. Outlaw Run's first drop literally took my breath away the first time I rode it and continued to amaze me as I rode it, but I still give a slight edge to Raging Bull for best first drop. We'll see if this gives it a run for its money.

I don't expect it to be better than Outlaw but I wouldn't be surprised if this places above X-Flight. (It's developed a 3rd-year B&M rattle in the middle of the train, you get it through the turn after the second zero-g all through the inline.)

I do think Goliath will place over X-Flight no problem. However, you can get a really good ride out of X-Flight last row, inside seat, and left wing. I feel it is running very well this year in that seat - has a nice whip over every drop/inversion, but especially the first drop.

I do think Goliath will place over X-Flight no problem. However, you can get a really good ride out of X-Flight last row, inside seat, and left wing. I feel it is running very well this year in that seat - has a nice whip over every drop/inversion, but especially the first drop.

yeah, I have come to enjoy X-Flight more over time.

Goliath will annihilate it, based upon the things that I like in coasters.

Anyone else planning on getting to the media day event via mass transit? I will be leaving St. Louis at 3pm, arriving in Chicago (union station) at 8:40. From there I will take the UP-N train north to the Waukegan station arriving around 10:50 pm. From there I will take a 15 min taxi to the park. With the park closing at 10, does anyone know a good place within walking distance of the park to hangout in till the event at 3:30? I would like to avoid sitting in the six flags parking lot.

Anyone else planning on getting to the media day event via mass transit? I will be leaving St. Louis at 3pm, arriving in Chicago (union station) at 8:40. From there I will take the UP-N train north to the Waukegan station arriving around 10:50 pm. From there I will take a 15 min taxi to the park. With the park closing at 10, does anyone know a good place within walking distance of the park to hangout in till the event at 3:30? I would like to avoid sitting in the six flags parking lot.

Based on the information I received you will not be allowed to sit around the property until 3:00 AM anyway. I'm going to be in bed tonight started at 8 PM and waking up around 1:30-2:00 otherwise I would find a place for people coming into town to hang out until the event. Bar close is 2:00, after all.

Is the 3:30 event the TPR one? Id sayy if you dont want to get a hotel room, hang out at the Avalon. Its a 24 hour diner walking distance from the gate at washington and grand. Bring a phone charger etc. there are other restaurants and bars nearby like timothy otooles but nothing else youll be able to stay at that late. Maybe a hotel lobby? Have fun!

Just a word of advice for the Metra train. Buy a round trip in Chicago before you leave unless you have cash. The ticket window in Waukegan closes around noon, and Metra think it's still 1989 so only cash fares are accepted on the train. The ticket window in Chicago will accept any credit cards, though.

Just a word of advice for the Metra train. Buy a round trip in Chicago before you leave unless you have cash. The ticket window in Waukegan closes around noon, and Metra think it's still 1989 so only cash fares are accepted on the train. The ticket window in Chicago will accept any credit cards, though.

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Looks like I will be hanging out at the Avalon from 11:30-3:30 am. The email I received from sixflags said that the gates open at 4 for media day invites.

Or the tunnel was set on fire.

By the way, what's up with those ugly Six Flags stickers on the train? Is that permanent? Hope they're only for the media day.

EDIT: This is a beautiful screenshot:

Goliath.thumb.jpg.68d3ddcea9f2d1042cb6eac46b9c76ed.jpg

And you can clearly see the twist -then- the drop of the dive loop.

Edited by KingRCT3

^It does look like smoke....

The stickers I believe are to advertise the ride as Six Flag's coaster, so they get credit on the news stations. They put same type of stickers on Full Throttle, but then removed them shortly thereafter.

Just got an email from Katy Enrique, stating the check-in time will be from 4am-noon.

The more I look at it, that's a pretty weak fog effect if it is indeed fog. Maybe it is smoke. It could be something temporary like what they did to BTR's station with the mist effect in 2012 or 2013 (I forget if it was for its 20th anniversary or BTR Backwards).

Good ride! Not as intense or forceful as the other Rocky Mountain coasters, but it had some really amazing elements. The hang time on the zero-g roll and dive loop is quite crazy! It is a very graceful ride that does not beat you up or wear you down like some other wooden coasters. The leg bar on the restraints is more comfortable when compared to Outlaw Run's. They form around you shins instead of being a solid bar. With that said, it is pretty much unforgiving for bigger riders.

image.thumb.jpg.656d4d4ea42f4bb2c3b6eb1d2556440f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4dca37ba2a39bfad11f8ab457a68c2ac.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.56eca76527ec2496f2b454ffba0f3aa4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cc8ef74edbb0a79ce413418c28012d62.jpg

Edited by Erik Johnson