TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that it's a tie between Mr. Freeze and Speed the ride for me. I dont know why, but LIM's really dont give the punch that other launch systems, its more like a sudden jolt of acceleration, then it just becomes gradual, where as Hydraulic launched build up over the course of the launch, and from what Ive heard, air launches...well just kind of suck!

Other than that, TTD has the biggest acceleration force of any coaster I've been on...

Colin C

10g's cannot kill you. They've done test before. In fact I remember in this one Roller Coaster book my mom got me there was a guy testing out different g-forces. They had 1g, 2gs, 5gs, and 10gs. You think they would do that test if it wasn't safe? Plus, what do astronauts have to go through, g-forces to prepare them for launch. Therefore it cannot kill you.

^Umm...Just to let you know, an austornaut in a space shuttle experiences a sustained G-Force of 3.1 G's. They do the testing because re-entry can pull about 7 G's in some cases.

And to clear up the whole blacking out thing, you simply cannont black out from acceleration forces alone, although it will cause som major damage to your body and death if its an excessive amount. Blacking out is cause by blood rushing to your feet from positive G-s, musch the same as redding out is caused by blood rushing to your head. A man who's name skips my mind right now once rode a rocket sled which put an acceleration force of 64 G's on his body, resluting in massive bodily damage and causing him to go blind for about 2 months. So to sum it all up, acceleration forces cant make you black out but they CAN kill you if they are extremely high, and postitive and negative forces are the ones that cause you to black/red out. Hopefully that clears som stuff up...

...and from what Ive heard, air launches...well just kind of suck!

You have heard wrong, my friend. I feel that air launches are the best! They are just loud as sin.

For a good example nearest you, head to Old Town and ride G Force.. 0-120 in 2 seconds. Should be able to compare that launch closely to dragsters.

I unfortunately haven't been on dragster yet myself to compare... But on a smaller scale, Ive been on both Hypersonic and Stormrunner. I was stunned by Hypersonic because I could barely feel the accelleration (actually it felt like there wasnt any at all), Where as Storm Runner I felt alot of the accelleration, it didnt pin me back in the seat instantly like Hypersonic.

15G can be done...but the riders should be tilted back about 30 degrees.

And stay in that position.

That's what a Gerstlauer designer told us once. (at presentation of the Typhoon Eurofighter at Bobbejaanland)

15G can be done...but the riders should be tilted back about 30 degrees.

And stay in that position.

That's what a Gerstlauer designer told us once. (at presentation of the Typhoon Eurofighter at Bobbejaanland)

It can definately be done, but it would probably be very uncomfortable.

http://www.iaapa.org/modules/MediaNews/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&iid=1050

^^Try reading that. It says the human being exerts more g-forces in every day life then on a roller coaster. Even plopping into your roller coaster seat results in a high number of g-forces (10.1).

10 g's. For about 10 milliseconds.

10 g's SUSTAINED can, and probably would, kill you.

-ACE

I have only been on 2 launch coasters. Rock'n'Roller Coaster at Disney MGM, Orlando and The Hulk at IOA. I have to say that I love the RnRc launch because of Aerosmith blasting in your ears, but I found the launch pretty intense. I also liked The Hulks launch. That launch into the Roll is awesome. But I think RnRc in better.

I just love the anticipation and when your adrenaline goes insane. It is just a rush. That's why I love launch coasters, because I always get that feeling before the launch.

It's sad that I've only been on one LIM coaster . RnR is the only one I've been on, so I obviously have to lead towards that.

As for the most extreme of any of them, I'll definitely say TTD was the most intense of all of my experiences. It was very quick and very forceful. I found KK just didn't live up to TTD, so, TTD and RnR, overall.

(No S&S's)

The only LIM launched coasters I've been on are Wicked Twister, Rock n' Roller Coaster (MGM) and The Italian Job (PCW). Out of the three, I'd have to say the most intense was Wicked Twister. That and I enjoyed it more than the others.

As for launched in general, that award goes to Top Thrill Dragster. I've never experienced acceleration like that before. It was awesome.

I always assumed to myself that RNRC was a hydraulic launch and not LSM, because an LSM coaster wouldnt require a launch sled or any moving parts at all.. It also says on Vekomas site that they can install hydraulic launches to help reduce power demand. I guess I shouldnt assume??

Out of the three LIM Launch I have done Xpress, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster & California Screamin'.

Liked Xpress more than Rock 'n' Roller even if RnR is 2mph fast, the acceleration seems to cut out quicker than Xpress dose. As for California Screamin' the launch is enjoyable but not as powerfull as Xpress or RnR.

For RnRC, LSMs power the launch sled, which has it's own neat magnetic brake system at the end, and returns back to launch position nearly as quickly as it pushes the train forward.

There isn't a launch sled on any LIM/LSM launched coasters. There are magnets on the bottom of the train that recieve the magnetic force. When a mag passes over/thru a set of Electromagnets, the power up, pulling the magnet (and train) forward. As the magnet passes over the electromagnet, it switches polarity and instead pushes it forward and resets for the next magnet (i.e. the next car on the train) and it's all controlled by sensors. And this is all done in the blink of an eye!

Does anyone know the launch speed of Volcano? I know it reaches 70mph, but in how much time?

From the looks of it, I'd say about 4 or 5 seconds.

For RnRC, LSMs power the launch sled, which has it's own neat magnetic brake system at the end, and returns back to launch position nearly as quickly as it pushes the train forward.

There isn't a launch sled on any LIM/LSM launched coasters. There are magnets on the bottom of the train that recieve the magnetic force. When a mag passes over/thru a set of Electromagnets, the power up, pulling the magnet (and train) forward. As the magnet passes over the electromagnet, it switches polarity and instead pushes it forward and resets for the next magnet (i.e. the next car on the train) and it's all controlled by sensors. And this is all done in the blink of an eye!

Does anyone know the launch speed of Volcano? I know it reaches 70mph, but in how much time?

From the looks of it, I'd say about 4 or 5 seconds.

Actually, RnR is an Vekoma product. Vekoma's version of their LSM system is using a launch sled below the train, and the sled interacts with the LSM system for a launch. The train merely "piggybacks" on the launch sled and goes for a ride down the launch track. The train itself is just a regular vekoma train with specialized attachment points to connect to the launch sled.

RC!

I'm partial to Speed: The Ride's first launch. It only gets up to 35 MPH but it does it in such a small amount of space and throws you immediately into that turn.

As for RNRC, as others have mentioned...it does have a launch sled. You can actually see and hear it come back toward the train. It also pulls you slightly backward before the launch.

• 3 months later...