TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunderlooper doesnt use LIMs, it has a weight drop launch system. It shouldnt be possible to black out on a launch either. Blackouts are caused by the blood going from your head and down into your legs. During a launch you are pressed back in your seat, not down, and therefore it shouldnt be possible to experience a blackout during a launch.

The only launched coaster I have ridden is Kanonen, which uses a hydraulic launch system, and I thought it was very intense. Short, but intense.

The only launch coasters I've been on have been CP's Wicked Twister, and Rock N Rollercoaster at WDW.

Wicked Twister had a pretty intense launch, but RnRC had one that seemed slightly more intense, but that may have been because it launches mostly in the dark, and it just seems that way.

Yeah, again in this day and age with air launched, hydraulic launched, etc. I gotta say the LIM launches just don't do it for me anymore! That being said, my strongest LIM launch I would say is Chiller at SFGAd. Strongest other launch...Dodonpa by far!

Wicked Twister back during Coastermania 2003.

After being in the park since 6am my body was exhausted. Though it was probably running like normal, the forces felt way more intense then they should.

It was actually painful every time the train went into/out of the spikes. Felt like my stomach was getting crushed.

Only lasted like 2-3 rides until I couldn't take anymore.

I need to think for a second. I've been on 2 LIM coasters, and a shuttle loop.

The 2 LIMs (bothat PKI) are Flight of Fear and Italian Job, FoF is the winner!!!

The shuttle loop is Greezed Lightnin at SFKK. Its launch is pretty good, but it was SO much better as Viper at SFOG (I WANT VIPER BACK! )

In other words, FOF has the best launch for me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Incredible Hulk, but its launch doesn't compare to FoF!

From http://www.coaster-net.com/

Top 10:

- Acceleration (MPH per sec):

1. Dodonpa, Fujikyu Highlands; 64mphps/102.9kphps (2.91 accel. g's)

2. HyperSonic XLC, Paramount's Kings Dominion; 47mphps/75.6kphps (2.1 accel. g's)

3. Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure; 36.5mphps/58.7kphps (1.7 accel. g's)

4. Storm Runner, Hersheypark; 36mphps/57.9kphps (1.6 accel. g's)

5. Xcelerator, Knott's Berry Farm; 35.6mphps/57.2kphps (1.6 accel. g's)

6. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point; 30mphps/48.2kphps (1.4 accel. g's)

7. Joker's Jinx, Six Flags America / Mad Cobra, Suzuka Circuit / Poltergeist, Six Flags Fiesta Texas; 21mphps/33.7kphps (1 accel. g)

8. Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, Disneyland Resort Paris / Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, Disney's MGM Studios; 20.3mphps/32.6kphps (.9 accel. g's)

9. Incredible Hulk Coaster, Islands of Adventure; 20mphps/32.1kphps (.9 accel. g's)

10. Superman: the Ride/ Xpress, Walibi World; 19.9mphps/32kphps (.9 accel. g's)

I have been on Joker's Jinx, Wicked Twister, Dragster, Storm Runner, and Incredible Hulk.

By the end of the year I get to ride the Chillers, Kingda Ka, and possibly the coasters @ PKD including IJ:TC.

But, as of now, my only LIM is Joker, but my favorite launch is DEFINATELY Storm Runner. That;s really the only one that gets me!

Haven't ridden any launch coasters, but I feel this point needs to be made:

You cannot black out on a coaster. To black out, for most people, takes about 8 g's. That is, 8 vertical g's. To black out from acceleration would take something like 10+ g's which, to put it simply, would kill you.

Not to mention, it'd probably tear the track apart.

-ACE

You cannot black out on a coaster. To black out, for most people, takes about 8 g's. That is, 8 vertical g's. To black out from acceleration would take something like 10+ g's which, to put it simply, would kill you.

-ACE

You dont need extreme G-forces to black out as long as its sustained G's. And 10 G's would not kill you. People are often exposed to far bigger G-forces when they are in a car crash, just to mention an example.

Like I have said earlier, in theory a launch shouldnt make you black-out because the blood doesnt flow away from your head like it does when you experience positive G-forces.

Elissa definitely has it right with Dodonpa. That coaster has the most extreme launch I have ever felt. Only launch ever to literally take my breath away.

I would also agree with Chiller being most forceful feeling LIM launch.

-ACE

You dont need extreme G-forces to black out as long as its sustained G's. And 10 G's would not kill you. People are often exposed to far bigger G-forces when they are in a car crash, just to mention an example.

Like I have said earlier, in theory a launch shouldnt make you black-out because the blood doesnt flow away from your head like it does when you experience positive G-forces.

Ok, good points. However, a car crash gives you... ~20 g's for about 10 milliseconds. 10 g's sustained WILL kill you. In fact, 8 g's sustained long enough will kill you.

Launches are sustained g's. Still, a launch at 3 g's for about 5 seconds is not going to black you out.

And, true, vertical g's are more likely to black you out. It's still possible with heavy acceleration, though.

-ACE

PS.: Appologies for going (mostly) off-topic.