TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Yes, I liked it better than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

I agree completely. Hell, I even prefer the original version of Spider-man to Harry Potter.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite would have to be the Monster Mansion at SFOG. I love the renovation job they did and all of the monsters look ALOT better. That lazer/mist effect heading into the marsh is bada$$ as well... Those engineers really put some thought into the facelift for that ride.

^ I was blown away by that ride when I first rode it this year. I rode it several times during the day just because it was so well done. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Compared to the old Monster Plantation with its blown speakers, dim lighting, smell of mold and rust, and 50% of the animatronics not working... they gave the ride a full makeover and even added a few new special effects. I love it.

• 3 months later...
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Yes, I liked it better than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

I agree completely. Hell, I even prefer the original version of Spider-man to Harry Potter.

I think I would still take Mummy over Spiderman! For that matter, I think I would take Indiana Jones over spiderman, but I still think its a really good attraction.

To me, Indiana Jones at Disneyland is the best dark ride in the world. Most dark rides require a lot of suspension of disbelief...whether it be you can see the ride showbuilding, or the storylines jump the shark to become theme park-attraction friendly, or the presence of the ride operators doesnt make sense. In Indiana Jones, everything clicks perfectly...the backstory is set up beautifully. Everything from the queue line, safety video, and ride operators ADD to the story rather than contradict it (in Spiderman, for example, its kind of odd that theres a queue line running through the Daily Bugle...on Indy, the queue line is a means of getting into the temple that Indiana Jones has set up specifically for the riders. In Harry Potter, its odd that students at Hogwarts become ride attendants for our "forbidden journey"...But on Indy, everyone operating the attraction are part of Indy's team to help journey into the temple). Also, the actual ride portion follows the story perfectly--the vehicles are period-appropriate, the chain of events that happen are caused by the riders rather than be contrived coincidences (looking into an idol's eye, for instance, is a better plot device than Doc Ock is taking over the world and for some reason we are in Daily Bugle Scoop vehicles). Everything just clicks. And the ride itself is a ton of fun, with unprecedented physical sets, live effects, and fun/dynamic motion. I consider it the perfect theme park dark ride.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it is a toss up between Indy and Pirates. Probably lean towards Pirates because I love that ride.

Great picks. Screen-based rides like Transformers and Forbidden Journey are great, but there's something awesome about the tangible nature of these older attractions. Indy is still my #1, without question.

• 3 months later...

Mine is Transformers: The Ride at Universal Studios Hollywood. I don't really care for the ride's storyline, but it's my favorite dark ride because the visual effects are just incredible. It's also quite thrilling by dark ride standards. As a "thrills-over-theming" type of person, usually these rides don't interest me, but this one did.

First Fave - Flight to Mars - at The 1962 Seattle World's Fair!

At age 9! I loved it and rode it three more times!

Current Fave - Indy at Disneyland - we rode it the first

year after it opened, March 1996, got those special code cards,

and I think I went on it 14 times in two days! It's still awesome,

especially with it's (kind of) clone in Tokyo Disney Sea.

That counts, too.

A very close second is that wonderful suspended dark ride in Efteling.

All to do with faeries, and some really breathtaking scenes, especially

when everybody "coasts" through the forest scene, round and round

and down and down and...

flighttomars.jpg.bceb59735216bd2b26b104354ebd2d35.jpg

Just loved this ride through the years. Wish we had one at our park.