TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Our state is so small, almost everyone in it is related to Richard Hatch.

Anyways, I've never been on a conventional Disko, but considering the thing's powered I would definately agree that it's just a bizzare flat ride.

I think the interactive water thing sounds cool, hope it all fits in the budget.

I still like how they're trying to pass this off as a roller coaster, then going on to say they now have more coasters than anyone else in Northern California, yet they had 2 more real coasters back 3 years ago!

If we're counting this as a coaster, I'm now up to like 6,493 credits with all the pirate ships, disk-os, rock n tugs, etc that I've been on!

For me it's nothing to get excited over. Its small, it's powered and it looks boring. Plus, I live on the other side of the country. So I am not that excited.

Translation: WHAAA!!! Dorney didn't get one!!!!

j/k!

I think it looks pretty kick ass. I love the outward facing seats on Disk-O's, they really give you a lot of freedom of movement. Plus the park really hasn't had much in the way of new rides in a while, plus they;ve lost 2 coasters!

I don't care if it counts as a coaster, ferris wheel, or what. I'm just glad the park got something cool!

...except with the marketing there's going to be hour long waits for a Disk-O!

-Don

Disk-Os are tons of fun, so I think this ride should be great. Adding a little hill to the traditional Disk-O looks like a fun little twist. Not a coaster though.

Survivor (a show I love) seems like an interesting choice to theme a ride around. I am curious how this "immunity challenge" before the ride works. Does it basically do the function of a preshow? Weird idea, but fits in with the theme. Where in the park will this ride be located?

Yes, the concept drawing looks pretty good--it would fit well at PKD in the Congo section. But where is it going at Great America? The last time I checked, the USA lacks any heavily jungled areas except for Hawaii.

Then again, they do have an Australian-themed water park.

So much for the old concept of a "stylistic" vision of America (the park's original concept).

Guy,

It has been my experience, since I only live about 10 minutes away from PGA and spend a lot of time there, (and used to work there), that during the season it's best to go during the week-Monday thru Thursday. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are generally "light" days. <10-30 min wait for Invertigo versus 45min to an hour or more on the weekends and Friday, for example> Too many people there during Friday-Sunday, it makes waiting in long lines to go on short rides not worth it. But towards the end of the season is probably the best time to go as the crowds start thinning out. And and hot days, lookout! Boomerang Bay gets slammed!.

-It's worth the trip, for the few coasters it has (minus Fizzly) Drop Zone, and a few other attractions, the park itself is beutiful and well maintained. Whenever I need a quick coaster fix, I'll just pop over there for a few rides before work.

BTW:

Be warned, Vortex is a real head banger.

Hope this helps.

We visit PGA often and are trying to figure out where they are going to put Survivor.

From the few construction photos available, it looks to me like PGA is going to plop it where Centrifuge is. (They'd have to remove it.) In one photo you can see a cone-shaped buliding: Kid's Stuff, and the gondola ride: (Delta Flyer). It's one of the few places with a clump of trees that will fit in with the jungle theme. And it's near the water park.

On a larger note, I wish Great America would add more "real" coasters. In the past few years they have been concentrating on Boomerang Bay, their water park. Sadly, their thrill rides have suffered. (Top Gun and Invertigo are awesome, though!)

On a positive note, PGA has been making a strong effort to make the park more "Family Friendly". Going to PGA is always a much more enjoyable experience than any Six Flags park provides: i.e. Marine World.

So I guess we are mixed up. We like the family atmosphere goal of PGA, but want more thrill rides. Which park is best at achieving that balance?

Steve