TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any idea where in the park this is going to go? I can't really think of any spots that would be long enough and wide enough for this ride. The only locations it might fit in are Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning (width is the major issue), somewhere along the old train berm along the front of the park, or the picnic area.

Some more info about the Disko 'coaster': Reading a Bay Area Parent booklet at the hospital earlier, in their "Summer Survival Guide" they had an article on themepark safety and what's new in the bay area. They didn't give details on what the ride did (but we already know it's a disko) but it did say it had a "Survivor" theme and it was to have fire/water elements and effects as part of the theme for the ride. Also, they said the ride was like 4 stories. This sounds quite awesome if you ask me.

So what would it take to make this ride into a roller coaster? Would it have to have a lift hill, be a complete circut, or not be powered by the car itself (the motor is up inside that box in the middle)? This really is right on the fence. Comparing to the poweder coaster the only difference is the fact that the Disk-o is not a complete circut. I think that this should be considered a coaster. Unless someone can give some real solid explanation as to why this dosen't count.

Really the only thing that makes it questionablr is the fact that the ride is powered by a motor that is attached to the car. Other than that, it qualifies.

From the PGA website:

http://www.paramountparks.com/GreatAmerica/news/detail.cfm?item_id=298

WORLD’S FIRST REALITY COASTER, SURVIVOR THE RIDE, TO DEBUT AT PARAMOUNT’S GREAT AMERICA THIS SPRING

SANTA CLARA, California – (Feb. 22, 2006) – Big time Hollywood-style reality thrills await adventurers this spring as Paramount’s Great America unleashes the world’s first reality rollercoaster, SURVIVOR The Ride.

Based on the hit CBS series that returned for its 12th installment on Thursday, Feb. 2, the ride combines the excitement and feel of the show with classic theme park thrills.

The real-life adventure show seen by almost 20 million viewers each season comes to life in an interactive attraction that recreates the rugged SURVIVOR atmosphere. Surrounded by the sounds of tribal music and jungle drums, thrill seekers embark on a journey past fiery 40-foot tall torches, exotic tribal relics and tropical landscaping reflective of previous international SURVIVOR locales. Those brave enough can participate in an endurance immunity challenge as seen on the Emmy award-winning show or relive SURVIVOR moments through memoirs of previous seasons.

And what is SURVIVOR The Ride without competition?

Guests are divided into two tribes and challenged to demonstrate their enthusiasm through tribal chants and ritual dance movements that trigger a collection of native masks to spray water on the losing tribe. Watch as tribes try to outplay and outspray castaways aboard the ride.

The adventure continues as tribes of riders board a giant circular vessel complete with a towering tribal mask looming at its center. Guests sit facing outward and experience a thrilling rocking and spinning motion as the platform swirls along a wave-like track -- all while traversing through rugged terrain and ascending hills as high as five stories tall!

“Paramount’s Great America is thrilled to open the world’s first reality coaster,” says Rod Rankin, senior vice president and general manager of Paramount’s Great America. “The alliance between SURVIVOR, TV’s hottest real-life adventure show, and coaster thrills is the perfect combination for a ride experience unlike any other,” adds Rankin.

With the addition of SURVIVOR The Ride, Paramount’s Great America offers the most roller coasters in Northern California as well as the most rides and the most water rides. The 100-acre theme park is also home to an 11-acre water park and more than a dozen Nickelodeon® characters including SpongeBob SquarePants™ and Dora the Explorer™.

survivor4.jpg.e9a25be8e15b8e24c61eb103e3c12e7c.jpg

survivor3.jpg.fb5070557047ceada5eddb6ea3a3513f.jpg

survivor2.jpg.40413c7f407b2708db27401c804d37e4.jpg

survivor.jpg.94b3a5618a60c79c350a2513d87237c2.jpg

Great pics, but the concept art is the best of them all.

PGA can call this a "Reality Coaster", but for me it´s only a giant flat ride.

A standerd disk-o is flat ride. Everyone knows that. So adding a hill does not make ik a coaster. I think more people were already talking about this thing. So it´s my time to stop talking.

Does anyone know where in the park they are building this THING? I know this park a little because i´ve visited it once back in 2001 when they still had Stealth and Greezed Lightnin´ (2 true great coasters)

I LOVE Survivor, but I think naming a ride after the show seems quite foolish. What happens after the show is finished and no one knows what it is anymore.

Also, what if the guests want to ride and they don't want to get wet and participate in the "challenge."

I enjoy the Disk-O, but I agree, I don't see how adding a hill in the middle makes it a roller coaster. But, I'll add it to my count.

I think this theme should get voted out.

I take back all the praise I ever gave to the concept of "original" themes.

The jungle theme I like,

The ride I like,

The interaction I like..

But the TV SHOW connections... argh!

Also, this is certainly a coaster by definition. It features all the attributes associated with a coaster. Just because the version before it was a flat ride, doesn’t mean the upgrade is still a flat. Look at the Robocoaster and Robocoaster on a track rides- I bet people will regard the latter as a coaster, even though the initial concept was a flat ride.

HOWEVER, it is a powered coaster. So I doubt many credit counters will accept it anyway…