TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

If they were to do the Lake Monster, I'd rather they do it right rather than throwing together a few new elements on the predator. That coaster is horrible as it is now and just adding a few elements will not add to the popularity unless the rest of the coaster is completely re-tracked as well. The park has potential, thanks to Herschend but things take time. ALTHOUGH I would be okay with the ride opening Late in the year versus having to wait until 2015! And I've been saying for years RoS needs a re-paint. Maybe a theme change, maybe not. Whatever. with that I'm saying that they have already repainted the Boomerang and the Viper, so I know that there is possibility. I look forward to 2014 at Darien.

With the Vekoma SLC and Boomerang, I can agree they can get bumpy. But I really haven't had much of a problem with the Mind Eraser. With the exception of once in 2010. but that's another story. Usually I kinda break the rule of keeping your head behind the head banger's, and I get an enjoyable ride. Back seat of course! And as for Boomerang, that thing, differs from trip to trip... The most recent trip though, I found it enjoyable. And Viper, well. Like boomerang, it changes from day to day. So I have no complaints really. except for Predator. I don't care if Lake Monster is stalled, but predator needs to close in 2013. IMO that's what I call or for that matter... it feels more like you did something like this to your stomach Does that get my point across? I hope so!

As far as if they renamed Ride Of Steel, why not retheme it and rename it Lake Erie Monster? Yeah, it sounds kinda corny and the park is about 50 miles inland from the lake...but their is the silly legend that there is some type of Loch Ness-type monster lurking in Lake Erie. Add tunnels similar to the Rye Beach coaster where you drop into the monsters mouth and get pooped out of it's behind. Perhaps add an underwater tunnel like Anaconda?

Is it sad to think less than a year ago someone on this very thread mentioned a possible re-theme of RoS to be called "The Lake Erie Monster' similar to the rumored Woodie? Kinda cool how the lines cross...

Is it sad to think less than a year ago someone on this very thread mentioned a possible re-theme of RoS to be called "The Lake Erie Monster' similar to the rumored Woodie? Kinda cool how the lines cross...

If they remodel The Predator as Lake Monster and retheme Ride of Steel as "Lake Erie Monster" that would cause some confusion in name!

If they remodel The Predator as Lake Monster and retheme Ride of Steel as "Lake Erie Monster" that would cause some confusion in name!

I think they should just build a new coaster all together, problem solved.

I Googled Dark Waters at Darien Lake. The total of the extra fee for the Halloween attractions will be $10, if you go to all of them. They are reducing the park admission to $19.99, if you buy tickets in advance. When I called to find out what rides would be closed during Dark Waters, they didn't have the information yet.

In past visits that I've made during this time of year the Mind Eraser/UFO/Sleigh Ride side of the park was always closed off and in the process of winterizing. Viper's exit would be re-routed towards the entrance of the Galaxy Theater.

I do remember one year, however, the entire park was open and they turned the park into a pay-per-ride ticket or POP wristband for a reduced price. I believe this was the first year under PARC.

What??? No Dark Waters?? What a let down! I usually don't do haunted events, but Dark Waters got me somewhat interested. That Child in the Water thing seemed like it was going to be amazing. Darien lake needs to realize that what they're doing is causing people to not only get annoyed with them, but starting to simply forget about the park. For gods sake Cedar Point is only 4 hours away, Canada's Wonderland is a stroll up north. At this point I'm saying they aren't really worth it anymore. They had better blow us away in 2014. If not; Goodbye Darien Lake! No offense to the park, but they need to get off their high horse and realize they are NOT as good of a park as they used to be. Do inside work. if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts. Start to care for your rides a little better and if you run into low staffing. close down the smaller less thrilling rides (Emitting kiddie land of course) so people don't waste their time to be there with 3 of the 6 coasters closed. Ok i think i'm done with my little rant. At this point though. No Lake Monster, will be a disaster for this failing park... Ride On Folks!

What??? No Dark Waters?? What a let down! I usually don't do haunted events, but Dark Waters got me somewhat interested. That Child in the Water thing seemed like it was going to be amazing. Darien lake needs to realize that what they're doing is causing people to not only get annoyed with them, but starting to simply forget about the park. For gods sake Cedar Point is only 4 hours away, Canada's Wonderland is a stroll up north. At this point I'm saying they aren't really worth it anymore. They had better blow us away in 2014. If not; Goodbye Darien Lake! No offense to the park, but they need to get off their high horse and realize they are NOT as good of a park as they used to be. Do inside work. if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts. Start to care for your rides a little better and if you run into low staffing. close down the smaller less thrilling rides (Emitting kiddie land of course) so people don't waste their time to be there with 3 of the 6 coasters closed. Ok i think i'm done with my little rant. At this point though. No Lake Monster, will be a disaster for this failing park... Ride On Folks!

Stop. All of you. Now. Reality check: Herschend is pursuing a path to make DL more family friendly. That's good. Remember the bitching over the Six Flags-era? Now keeping this is mind, it is time to review some key reasons why no, the park is not headed towards disaster.

First: the upkeep is a work in progress. DL renovated the boardwalk area this year and put in Rowdy's Ridge last year. Again, marketing to families is the keyword here. Yes, the operations could be better but some sane minds have noted that the transition to Herschend is still going and that a lot of stuff was in pretty bad shape when they got it. Have patience. The staffing issue is purely economics; I can pretty much guarantee that Herschend has some very smart people working on it who understand it better than we do.

Second: the lack of Lake Monster and Dark Waters will not kill the park. The GP still thinks RoS is the shit, and it really still is. It is not new, but it clearly satisfies the needs of the GP for top-notch thrills. If they are not making a big vacation out of it, they will not take the hassle of driving 2-4 hours and possibly over the border to go to CW or CP. DL is local and clearly the only player in the local market for the greater Buffalo/Rochester area. The addition of Blast Off! likely satisfied the immediate need for marketing and keeping the park moving forward (again, through the eyes of the GP).

Third: Family improvements are a good thing. Not having Dark Waters means that they will have a family friendly event. This. Is. Good. Again, look at the Herschend parks around the country and recognize that they are really good at making big bucks off of family entertainment. It will take time for DL to reach that level but Herschend knows what they are doing.

Fourth and finally: This is speaking to the bit how "if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts". Why? Please please please open up your minds to the fact that as enthusiasts we are close-minded and fail to see improvements objectively. DL owes what they owe to their paying customers. I cannot stress enough how angry this quote makes me because you are blaming DL for how you (all the enthusiasts) blew a survey out of proportion. This is stupid.

So no, no one is "forgetting about the park", and the management is not on "their high horse". I know I'm yelling at a brick wall but please guys, recognize that (as has been pointed out many a time on this site and even on this thread) THE PARK OWES NOTHING TO THE ENTHUSIASTS UNLESS WE PROVIDE SOMETHING TO THEM, and our occasional attendance only puts us on the equal level of every other paying customer who walks through the gates.

^Very well written. Thank you for posting.

I totally understand why parks do surveys to get an idea of what their public would like to see at the park but when you're possibly proposing rides like Lake Monster, the giant frisbee, and also make mention of Dark Waters it will get many people's hopes up. Unfortunately nine times out of ten they will be let down. Darien is quite overdue a major new addition but I also would rather they continue to spend their resources doing what they've done by reinvigorating different areas of the park. I didn't get to the park this year to see the Boardwalk but I was very impressed with how Rowdy's Ridge turned out last year.

As much as Halloween is BIG business for parks this time of year I don't think Herschend does any big Halloween events at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City but family fall festivals at those parks. I was not surprised when I read they cancelled Dark Waters in favor of having a more toned down fall festival.

I can totally see why the park would scrap the Dark Waters idea, but it was a really bad move posting it on the website before deciding what would happen this year. Fright Fest always had the family fun too, with a trick or treat trail and face painting, etc. But unlike Lake Monster and Sidewinder this one was set in stone according to the website. The park would definitely get more visitors marketing it as Dark Waters, because it would bring in teens, as well as families. Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.

Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.

The park is still going to have haunted houses this year. The only part that was cancelled was Dark Waters, which, although may have been one of the more advertised parts, wasn't the only part.

I can totally see why the park would scrap the Dark Waters idea, but it was a really bad move posting it on the website before deciding what would happen this year. Fright Fest always had the family fun too, with a trick or treat trail and face painting, etc. But unlike Lake Monster and Sidewinder this one was set in stone according to the website. The park would definitely get more visitors marketing it as Dark Waters, because it would bring in teens, as well as families. Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.

Practically what I was saying was summed up in the first 2 sentences of this post. if they didn't think it totally through, they should not have posted it. I was upset with that. And I mean come on. This thread was blown out of proportion for the one survey posted. That was what was insane. not the survey itself. My thing with Darien is the inconsistency with reveals, and their way of executing events such as dark waters. Don't me wrong I love Darien. But It could be better. I'm pretty much over my "poo-poo" fit from earlier. Usually I'm very bias over Darien. The news of Dark Waters was just a big let down. So sorry to the Writers/Readers of the thread! Anyways. I don't think Herschend has really gotten a hold of the Fall Event at Darien yet. I mean, not saying they aren't trying but If i remember correctly, they have had a different name for "fright fest" every year so far. The basis of the event is always there but the name. I think that's funny. Maybe we need to float away from "Fright Fest" if that name is literally that hard to keep. just IMO. Any-who sorry again about my little outburst. I agree RoS is the "poo-poo" but would it kill 'em to finish the new coat of paint? (By the ejector hills and the breaks)

^This. I myself love Darien Lake, and always will, but things are getting ridiculous. Between the in-park problems, and things like cancelling Dark Waters are uncalled for. What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark). The park is managed by Herschend, but it does not seem like it. Of course, as we all realize, the park was in terrible condition when it was taken over, but maybe it is time for some older rides and buildings to go. I could keep going on and on, but by now we all know the problems. The process of changing the park will take time, but the whole theme doesn't have to be family all of the time. Dark Waters would be for everyone. Although it seems like there will still be a haunted house and the "Carnevil", attractions like the haunted boat ride would make the park number one haunted attraction around. These are just my opinions, and I am not saying that the park would be perfect with these ideas. They would be a good start though.

What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark).

What?

Dark Waters would be for everyone.

WHAT???

Come on man, it's like you half read my post (I do appreciate the concessions thrown in there) but then just jumped off the enthusiast deep-end.

^This. I myself love Darien Lake, and always will, but things are getting ridiculous. Between the in-park problems, and things like cancelling Dark Waters are uncalled for. What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark). The park is managed by Herschend, but it does not seem like it. Of course, as we all realize, the park was in terrible condition when it was taken over, but maybe it is time for some older rides and buildings to go. I could keep going on and on, but by now we all know the problems. The process of changing the park will take time, but the whole theme doesn't have to be family all of the time. Dark Waters would be for everyone. Although it seems like there will still be a haunted house and the "Carnevil", attractions like the haunted boat ride would make the park number one haunted attraction around. These are just my opinions, and I am not saying that the park would be perfect with these ideas. They would be a good start though.

Wow. Talk about airing of pointless grievances. Sounds like you just need to stop going to the park because you really don't have a clue how theme parks are run and the challenges that go into it.

It frustrates me to read a post like this because anyone that has read our forums for any length of time I would hope would be better educated on parks to never write a post like this, but it seems we have either failed to get through to you, or you're so close minded to the world of park operations that you'll be we get it.

If a park ever "cancels" something that's usually a sign that someone figured that it would not be a good idea or something that wouldn't see a return and the last thing you want to do is put forth a bad product to your customers or something that will leave you in the red. That is by far WORSE than canceling something.

UGH, theme park geeks disgust me sometimes...