TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Regardless of which one came first, the log ride is still the best attraction at Knott's and much better than the flume at Six Flags over Texas. Good to see that they're giving it an overhaul.

Looks like it'll be closed when I'm planning to visit (early May) but might be open the weekend I'm heading out of LA (mid June). Is the log ride worth going back for, or should I just leave it for a future trip?

With the recent release of "Pins" and a greater emphasis on Season Passes, I believe Knott's is once again vying to be the affordable option for the recently increased priced DLAP. All of their recent and future attractions so far have been for the family, and now this! My favorite attraction getting some love! I really like what is going on down there so far.

Knott's appears to be re-discovering their niche in the affordable Family market and SFMM is basing their future off of the thrill market. I guess it's nice to finally see these theme parks emerging from competing with each other into a situation where they are offering different experiences. For such a long time it felt like KBF was trying to be the new SFMM and I think they have finally realized that they have the DL market right next door and should be focusing on that.

I mean, I know it was a CF chain-wide promotion, but I thought it was a little silly seeing these 'Ride Warrior' commercials for the park that had notably less thrills than its competition. My current feelings are that CF is allowing KBF to operate more independently focused on its local market, like it did in the past.

I have always loved this flume since I first rode it

with my mom in....1963???

And the best part for me is still the inside drop.

The surprise drop. The unexpected drop. And

at that time there were massive stalactites and such

built around the u-turn in the flume for the 2nd lift hill.

Whatever they do with it now, I can only hope they keep

the awesomeness of it, that's still as good as Disney IMhO.

I first rode TMLR in 2002. I was totally blown away with how cool it was. I'm really excited to see the outcome of this renovation. With this and the new credit, Knott's is going to be a must visit park this summer.

Really happy with the work CF has been putting into their parks lately. Not only are they adding new stuff, they are updating and refreshing tired stuff as well. Great to see.

^It's definitely worth it. I dont really care for water attractions too much and I still love it. I personally prefer it over Splash Mountain. I know I'll catch some heat for that.....

Same here. It's my favorite flume ride.

I'm so excited about this! I'm really hoping they restore the room at the bottom of the first drop, it was my favorite theming in the ride.

I love the direction Knott's is going now, maybe some kind of dark ride in the KOD building isn't such a stretch after all. (Assuming they find a way to deal with the Johnny Rocket's equipment that takes up part of the old attraction's space.)

Seriously, every thing that they have been doing to Knott's lately makes me love this park more and more. The last time I went the park was so clean and the attention to detail (flowers, fountains, cleanliness, etc.) was great! I cannot wait to get to the park tomorrow.

This is great news, and if this is the direction Knott's is going towards I can see it returning more and more to it's pre-CF awesomeness.

It's already getting there with their improved food options (the new Ghost Town Grill is AMAZING) and all of the renovations done in Ghost Town. It certainly seems that corporate has decided that this park isn't just another acquisition they need to make a CP clone and it's obvious Raffi and Matt understand that.

Really looking to see where the park goes in the next few years. I probably won't be down at the park too much this year, but I'm renewing my pass anyway.

This is all great news! The TMLR news seemed to come out of left field, but honestly I'm more excited for that than the new Boardwalk additions. On another subject, I'm wondering if there might still be a maze inside TMLR for Haunt. I know 2012 was supposed to be the final year for it (and earlier in the year it was stated that there wouldn't be a maze for 2012), but maybe with the refurbishment more safety features can be installed to allow scaracters to continue scaring guests. I'm just picturing how great a maze might look inside of there with the improved effects and everything, although I'm pretty sure it's unlikely. But then again, most probably would have thought a major refurbishment for TMLR to be unlikely as well!

This is all great news! The TMLR news seemed to come out of left field, but honestly I'm more excited for that than the new Boardwalk additions. On another subject, I'm wondering if there might still be a maze inside TMLR for Haunt. I know 2012 was supposed to be the final year for it (and earlier in the year it was stated that there wouldn't be a maze for 2012), but maybe with the refurbishment more safety features can be installed to allow scaracters to continue scaring guests. I'm just picturing how great a maze might look inside of there with the improved effects and everything, although I'm pretty sure it's unlikely. But then again, most probably would have thought a major refurbishment for TMLR to be unlikely as well!

I honestly don't care if there isn't another "maze" on the Log Ride again, as it was never different from the day time in terms of what sets/decorations they put up. I just hope they don't cut the monsters from it because I always get the best scares on the Log Ride. I mean, you're stuck in a moving log with no where to go and monsters are after you. How scary is that?

I just hope they don't cut the monsters from it because I always get the best scares on the Log Ride. I mean, you're stuck in a moving log with no where to go and monsters are after you. How scary is that?

When I said "maze," that's what I meant- the overlay on the ride plus the monsters. And that's what was going to get cut- all of it. If I'm understanding correctly, the reasoning behind not using the Mine Ride and Log Ride as mazes (initially) was due to tougher safety regulations/issues. Since it was the 40th anniversary they eventually gave in on the Log Ride, but they did remove the monsters from Calico Mine Ride. They did decorate the Mine Ride, but it wasn't advertised as a maze since there were no monsters.

I was in the front seat when I went through Evil Dead, and I actually got a couple of good scares from the monsters! Of course, what might scare me won't scare others, and vice versa, but I liked it. As I said before, it would be nice to see a maze in the Log Ride for Haunt 2013, but my gut tells me it might not happen. But they could definitely go the route of the Mine Ride and at least put up decorations, even though it wouldn't be frightening.

I just hope they don't cut the monsters from it because I always get the best scares on the Log Ride. I mean, you're stuck in a moving log with no where to go and monsters are after you. How scary is that?

I was in the front seat when I went through Evil Dead, and I actually got a couple of good scares from the monsters! Of course, what might scare me won't scare others, and vice versa, but I liked it. As I said before, it would be nice to see a maze in the Log Ride for Haunt 2013, but my gut tells me it might not happen. But they could definitely go the route of the Mine Ride and at least put up decorations, even though it wouldn't be frightening.

Well, what I'm saying is that if they can't make a new theme/overlay/maze for the Log Ride, just add a couple of monsters int here for the heck of it. It's not themed, but at least you've got some scares in there.

Well, what I'm saying is that if they can't make a new theme/overlay/maze for the Log Ride, just add a couple of monsters int here for the heck of it. It's not themed, but at least you've got some scares in there.

Oh, okay. I get what you're saying now. Yeah, I think that's what the fuss was about- supposedly OSHA standards have gotten so strict to where there's almost no way to have monsters inside of a ride-through attraction anymore without it being considered "too dangerous." Obviously they pulled it off for 2012, not to mention all of the past years, so it's still possible, but it's getting much tougher to do from what I understand. Maybe someone from Knott's can shed some light on this. But we'll know soon enough what's in store for Haunt 2013!

so today i had to go process my season pass at knotts, so i took along my trusty cell phone and decided to make a nice quick Hit and Run trip report.

Stats: time in park 1:54

Rides ridden:

Monte

Xcellerator

Supreme Scream

Silver Bullet

Quick Impressions:

It always confuses me to be in a park with lots of children and not have them screaming, not having strollers hitting my ankles and generally not being a clusterfuck. I need to stop being at Disneyland all the time. But furthermore, the park is cleaner than ive ever seen it, the planters in Ghost Town look amazing, and generally the park looks great.

And now on to what yall came for, 12 pics of my 2 hour trip to knotts!

IMAG0210.thumb.jpg.8470f9ac698cd012b05b70f707bcec62.jpg

Its still such a sight to see

IMAG0216.jpg.1cc5c8bffd9dd0a0beb117c8d13327ea.jpg

The Calico Mine trains are looking really good. Looks like they got a fresh coat of paint.

IMAG0218.jpg.3a6ebc8737f19dc2b8e3a3f7b226b7aa.jpg

Looks like Log Ride work is ongoing. Great time to do it with the cold we have had

IMAG0220.thumb.jpg.1f8ee86cb5742e06cfc49f5650ed6396.jpg

they even took off the belt!

IMAG0221.jpg.d55d1907ebd30076d666117e031727ca.jpg

thank god that all wheels extreme show is done...

IMAG0222.thumb.jpg.9d478e06acf60aabd722284a18274a01.jpg

I wish we had this at Mad T Party... then i wouldnt have to dodge lifts at night

IMAG0224.jpg.91b6142ed3e1bb2ee446aa9d924e7c81.jpg

Womp Womp

IMAG0214.jpg.d8043286a436d39200ed4d90dc9d4c3e.jpg

And now what you all came here for!

IMAG0215.jpg.1491a857a0b23d1657bfb770790faff6.jpg

Ohhh, look! portholes!

IMAG0211.jpg.6d96da99915fde04a9a31b8c035c8691.jpg

You can see the footers for Coast Rider getting put in

IMAG0212.jpg.60aa8b481c514a3245517ee590db70a2.jpg

And some steel in the former dock area

IMAG0213.jpg.6041d34a54fa2ba0987ee640eabc5f10.jpg

but otherwise... groundwork continues!

I was at Knott's yesterday and here is some of the construction that is happening around the park:

-Knott's filled in half of Coast Rider's footers. I wouldn't be surprised if track & supports arrive at Knott's in a few days.

-A good portion of Schoolhouse Road is closed as the asphalt has been removed and being replaced by nice new concrete.

-The remote control cars underneath Boomerang have been removed.

-Windseeker is still closed for those who are wondering.

Sorry, there was no photos. I'll try to bring my camera when I'm going to Knott's next Saturday.

Edited by XYZ