TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

It is an older Intamin launcher (being the first ever) and I'm not so sure it shows its age all that well.

Erm, Xcelerator was the first Intamin launcher

I haven't gotten to Hershey since the new padding was added. I did get to ride on June 4, 10 days after it opened. I was there on a class trip and I couldn't believe how many people were complaining. I was uncomfortable, but that was because we sat on the brakes for 5 minutes because the ride ops were ridiculously awful. I didn't really feel pain. I just really hope they don't trim this down because of the stupid GP who can't handle a little intensity.

Err yeah my mistake, I was going by this photo and failed to realize they qualified it with a "...featuring inversions!"

We also sat on the brakes for a good bit and that was when I finally realized how open my seat was. That was one positive for me, definitely--those winged seats are nifty. I also noticed on one of the airtime hills that my shirt almost flew over my head! Luckily it was held down by the lapbar, but it was completely up my back once we rolled into the brakes. As has already been said, OTSR would probably take some of the flying feeling away that the ride is meant to induce.

Unlike I305 which needs the seatbelt harnesses for the quick change of directions and has few really strong airtime moments (its my #2 all time but not because of the airtime), SkyRush's airtime and the feeling of freedom would be destroyed by those restraints... and you would still have people complaining about the shoulder straps digging into them, I guarantee it.

I also noticed on one of the airtime hills that my shirt almost flew over my head! Luckily it was held down by the lapbar, but it was completely up my back once we rolled into the brakes.

That happened to me too! Well, on the third time I rode it; oddly enough it didn't happen my first two rides. Also oddly enough that's never happened on any other ride - not even El Toro.

As has already been said, OTSR would probably take some of the flying feeling away that the ride is meant to induce.

I really hope they don't go with OTSRs. You know that Hershey's gonna be working their ass off in the offseason to improve the restraints as much as possible while keeping them lapbars.

I'd even be willing to say that the restraints on I305 would be the best alternative, and if they had those restraints it may actually be a better ride than I305.

I would have said that on my first visit, but this last visit after their little modification I sure hope they won't do this. The pure insanity (^^^My shirt was coming off too!) of this ride would go down if you are enclosed in OTSR. I didn't feel any pain on Monday, it did feel a little tight but I feel that anytime an operator staples me in other restraints.

If they make more modifications over the offseaon I sure wish they will stick with the openness of these restraints that are on there right now.

^They sit at different points of the body, so it really depends on how thick your thighs are for Skyrush as opposed to Fahrenheit and Strom Runner which sit more on your belly, chest and shoulders. Though I can say at 265 lbs I had no problem with any of the rides at Hershey.

Also Sky Rush is easily my new #1 despite it KILLING my thighs after my third ride.

Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?

I went with my cousin a few weeks ago, and she didn't have any problems. She's larger, but hasn't ever lost out on a ride. If you're fitting on the other Intamins, I'd like to think you'll be fine here!

Here's the latest rumor from Screamscape:

General Resort News - (8/15/12) During the Coaster Crew “Rush The Sky” event at Hersheypark over this past weekend, an important hint was dropped by the staff during the behind the scenes tour. The group was told to be sure to ride all 12 roller coasters in the park before they leave, “because that number won’t be the same next year.” With SkyRush having just opened, it seems a good bet that the park is ready to retire one of their coasters this winter.

Nothing more was said, but the general speculation over the past few years is that Roller Soaker was on it’s last legs. The very limited capacity and success of the water park attractions around it simply make the site more valuable for a waterpark expansion than the park’s coaster count. I suppose we could also see the Wild Mouse or even Trailblazer retired as well, but my money is on Roller Soaker right now.

While RS would be the coaster I'd personally miss the least, it's always sad to see a one-of-a-kind coaster disappear. Maybe it could be relocated to a smaller park? Talk amongst yourselves.

I'm just glad that combined with technology, parks are realizing which rides are profitable(bring people in, normal routine maintenance) and which rides are money pits(low ridership, high cost of running). And as they do, that just means new, higher quality(sometimes) attractions for everyone to enjoy.

It's definitely Rolller Soaker. Trailblazer is the only real entry level coaster in the park and is a classic park icon for people that have been going there for years. I can't see it being removed because maintenance does not seem to be an issue. Wild Mouse still draws large lines and I'm not sure how its space could be better utilized. I've been to the park tons of times and never once bothered to ride Roller Soaker. I've hung out in the area and shot the water guns from the ground but the line was always prohibitive because of how slow throughput is. I think I remember getting in line for it once and getting out a half hour later after barely moving. Taking it out and adding a boardwalk themed River Battle ride would be a much more interesting use of that space, and it would eat more people/kids at the crowded Boardwalk.

I'm surprised that Roller Soaker has lasted this long.

I hope that they at least add a higher-capacity water ride or slide in the near future (not necessarily a roller coaster), such as an Intamin 9-person rapids ride or a Proslide Mammoth.

I'm all for them removing Roller Soaker for expansion, but I'm curious (and afraid) to see how much farther they'll push the waterpark. How many more rides have to get removed before they realize that putting the thing in the center of the park wasn't the best idea? Once Roller Soaker is gone, there isn't anything left in that area that can be dropped easily (or justifiably, based off of capacity/maintenance/low ridership).

I would not be upset if Roller Soaker came out. I will admit it is a fun coaster but a coaster like this is for parks with lower numbers of people visiting. The line always is long - not really cause its popular but because the low capacity in my opinion. I would love to see them make the water park a lot bigger and get a little more gutsy with some new water slides.

Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?

If you can get into Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, I don't see any issues. I'm a big guy, had to have a little help to get on Fahrenheit, but didn't have any issues on Skyrush.

I don't get all the hate for Roller Soaker. If it's a warm day and you're in your bathing suit it's a really good fun ride.

I rode it for the first time in awhile with KT on the trip and she really liked it. It has a low height restriction, goes 'backwards' if you sit that way, and is interactive for both riders and spectators.

I totally understand that it's a capacity and maintenance nightmare, but I don't think everyone should hate on it so much.

I personally won't miss it, but I can see some families missing out on it.